iMessage sending issues on iOS 17

Ever since I updated my iPhone 13 Pro to iOS 17, I have had issues with iMessage.

Every morning I need to restart my iPhone before I can send an iMessage, if I don't do that the message is stuck and it won't send a text message automatically after some time if iMessage is unavailable. If i send my message as a text message manually, the person receives 2 identical messages (one iMessage and one text message). I have no problem receiving iMessages even before restarting my iPhone.

Is this a known issue? I'm currently on iOS 17.0.1, but I've had this problem since iOS 17.0.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 3:18 AM

after updating 17.1.2 on my iPhone 13pro, I can no longer receive images in text, only words. What is wrong, I did all the restarts, turned iMessage on and off, turned Airport on and off, and restarted but I had the same problem, I can no longer receive images or photos in a text.

52 replies

Feb 27, 2024 3:20 PM in response to Lissy_12

My phone registers that my iMessage is on. My MMS messages are on. My Face Time is on. I have set and reset these several times. I have started and shut off and restarted the phone many times. But iMessages do not work. They do not send in a blue bubble, and other apple phones cannot send an iMessage to me in a blue bubble.

My network supports it and I'm on wifi almost 100% of the time.

why does iMessage not work after the last few sets up updates?

Jan 23, 2024 7:11 PM in response to podkriznik

I’m having the same issue on an iPhone 12 with the recent iOS 17.3 and the previous ones.

I started noticing that after a few text messages get sent, my phone just gets stuck on trying to send it or it fails to send. I’ve restarted my phone every time so far, I’ve checked my service and my wifi and they’re all fine.

I've yet to find a genuine fix for this either.

it’s really frustrating, especially when texting coworkers things that need to be done. I have to restart my phone sometimes more than once just to be able to send a message whether MMS or iMessage it’s super frustrating and genuinely confused on how this wasn’t fixed yet :”)

Oct 1, 2023 2:00 PM in response to podkriznik

Hi podkriznik,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We would recommend the steps below that can help:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad

If you try to send a message and you see with an alert that says Not Delivered, follow these steps:
1. Check your network connection.
2. Tap, then tap Try Again.
3. If you still can’t send the message, tap, then tap Send as Text Message. Messaging rates may apply. Contact your carrier for more information.

If you see a green message bubble instead of a blue one, then that message was sent using MMS/SMS instead of iMessage. There are several reasons for this:
•The person that you sent the message to doesn't have an Apple device.
•iMessage is turned off on your device or on your recipient’s device. To check if iMessage is turned on for your device, go to Settings > Messages > iMessage.
•iMessage is temporarily unavailable on your device or on your recipient’s device.
•You might need to update your settings for Messages after you set up a new device.

If you still need help
•Try to restart your iPhone or iPad.
•Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. To send an SMS message, you need cellular network connection. If you turn on Wi-Fi Calling, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi.
•Check with your carrier to see if the type of message you’re trying to send, like MMS or SMS, is supported.
•If you’re trying to send group MMS messages on an iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on MMS Messaging. If you don't see an option to turn on MMS Messaging or Group Messaging on your iPhone, then your carrier might not support this feature.
•Make sure that your device has enough space to receive images and videos.
•Make sure that you entered the correct phone number or email address for the contact.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Jan 24, 2024 8:10 AM in response to IHAT8ios17

IHAT8ios17 wrote:

It's a pain...and sucks that I had to pay for extra iCloud storage...but backing up the entire phone to iCloud - then erasing and resetting the phone and restoring from the iCloud backup has seemed to fix all of the issues I was having after the 17 update. iMessage now works, my watch is communicating normally with the phone...and battery life of both devices is significantly better.

You could have backed up the phone to your computer without paying anything extra. Just so you know.

Mar 4, 2024 10:55 AM in response to Anaidtwist

Anaidtwist wrote:

iMessage is definitely not working anymore after the update.

To be more specific, "iMessage is definitely not working anymore after the update" ON YOUR PHONE. It is working on my iPhone 14Pro, and apparently working on hundreds of millions of other iPhones, so you need to troubleshoot your local problem. If you can’t do it make a genius bar appointment to get some help from Apple.

The first troubleshooting steps (check after each one):

• If you have VPN installed, delete the VPN profile and app.
  • Restart your phone.
  • Does it not work on Wi-Fi, and does it also not work on cellular data, or does it work on one or the other?
  • Go to Settings/Messages:
  • Is iMessage turned on?
  • Tap Send & receive - are the settings correct?
  • Tap your Apple ID in Send & Receive and sign out, then restart your phone, go back to Settings/Messages and sign in again
  • Open Settings
    • Tap General
    • Tap Transfer or Reset Phone
    • Tap  Reset
    • Tap Reset Network Settings

This will erase all Wi-Fi passwords, but will not result in any other data loss.

Report back with success or failure, and the results of each step.

Mar 16, 2024 8:23 AM in response to IHAT8ios17

IHAT8io17's post is the fix that works.

Step-by-Step:

• Connect your phone to a power source in a location with a good WiFi connection
  • Settings -> AppleID -> iCloud -> iCloud Backup -> Back up this phone
  • wait until it is backed up
  • Settings -> Find My -> Find My Iphone -> Off (necessary to erase)
  • Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Erase All Contents and Settings
  • wait until it erases and restores the default environment (i.e. it is at the multilingual "hello" startup screen)
  • set up the phone from the iCloud backup as if you bought a new phone.
  • run through the setup process rather than just accepting old settings. (Maybe not necessary.)

This takes a while, but it fixes the problem.

Someone suggested backing up to a computer. I did make a backup to my MacBook Pro, but since Apple is no longer supporting the latest MacOS release on my Intel Machine, I did not want to try to do a restore from that backup.

iMessage sending issues on iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.