Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can’t Search Messages since iOS 17 Update!

Since this iOS 17 update I can no longer search my messages on my iPhone but I can still search on my iPad… HELP!!! It’s been 2 additional updates since the 17 update and it still isn’t working!!!!

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:18 AM

I hate this new update! I often need to search my text messages for work related questions and NOW I CAN NOT. It shows me message from the day. I need my messages from a month ago. I do not have time to search through all of this! HELLLLPPPPP!

93 replies

Oct 26, 2023 7:15 PM in response to Thailey1121

Happy to say that 17.1 fixes this issue. Here's how it worked for me:

1. I installed 17.1
  2. I went to Settings > Messages > Siri & Search, and turned off all the options.
  3. I restarted my phone.
  4. I went back to Settings > Messages > Siri & Search, and turned back on all the options.

Over the past several hours, the messages have slowly been indexed.

Hope this helps.

Nov 30, 2023 9:38 PM in response to Thailey1121

This helped me 😀

My apps not working correctly after iOS 1… - Apple Community

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue: Press and quickly release Volume UP button. Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button. Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds.

Oct 10, 2023 10:20 AM in response to Badeen33

Very very broken… Several people have tried once I brought it up to them and nothing comes up on the iPhone when searching text messages for a word. I can search all pics entering a word.

I even had some techs in the store try and they were unsuccessful as well.

On my iPad which is now running iOS 17.0.3 the search is fine. I can go back to 2019 messages searching a word.

Oct 11, 2023 12:16 PM in response to Thailey1121

From what I’ve read, this is fixed in the for 17.1. Some have indicated a manual reset of indexing may also be required once installing the new version. I’d be a bit surprised if that is actually the case especially with a final version released to the public. That said, it blows my mind how this one got past Apple in the first place since it’s a headline feature they completely broke.

Nov 30, 2023 7:51 PM in response to Thailey1121

Hi!! I’m the original poster and I just want to let you all know MY PHONE STILL ISNT WORKING PROPERLY!!!! 😫😫😫😫

My phone has been INDEXING since the September iOS 17 update. No matter the resets (hard included) it’s not working. No links or shared photos will download. The pic attached is what it says for all my contacts and when I click download it spins then does nothing.

Oct 25, 2023 8:09 PM in response to Thailey1121

Hi, This has been extremely frustrating. I logged a complaint with Apple support and I have an assigned case #. They called me and said Apple is aware of the problem and that it will be fixed in an upcoming update. This was when I updated to 17.0.3. They did not specify whether 17.1 will fix this.

I have not yet updated to 17.1

Has this issue been resolved in 17.1?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Thailey1121

I had this issue as well and I was able to fix it! I figured out that for me, it was because not all of my iMessages had downloaded from iCloud. This is how I fixed it:

1. Before bed, I put my phone on the charger and was prepared not to use it for the rest of the night

2. Settings —> Apple ID, iCloud+, Media & Purchases (at the top) —> iCloud —> Show All (under Apps Using iCloud) —> Messages —> toggle off “Sync this iPhone” —> click “Disable and Download Messages” —> wait a minute or so, then toggle back on “Sync this iPhone”

3. Open iMessages app (there should be a message at the bottom of the screen that reads “Syncing with iCloud”)

4. Set my phone down without locking it (still plugged in) and didn’t touch it for the rest of the night (I don’t know if the “without locking it” part was necessary, it may still work if you lock the phone but this is what I did [I had my auto-lock display settings set to “Never”])

5. The next morning, I tried searching a word I know I’ve used a lot over the years and was able to see everything :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Oct 11, 2023 11:43 AM in response to mg_maghee

I’m glad I’m not alone. I have done everything you said you have done as well. I also use the search for work and personal. My emails use to remember certain words so when I move the message the folder would automatically appear but now it doesn’t and now I have to scroll all around just to find the folder. And now my caps button would stay highlighted, it goes to lowercase. I can’t compose a long message, then want to edit it because the curser won’t allow me to move up. It’s just frustrating.

Can’t Search Messages since iOS 17 Update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.