Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone randomly shuts off and won't turn back on after iOS 17 Update: Seeking Solutions

Hello everyone, I find myself in a rather challenging situation with my iPhone 13 mini. Ever since I updated to iOS 17, my iPhone has been shutting down randomly and refuses to turn back on, regardless of what I try. I've attempted the volume up, volume down, and hold power button technique (trust me, I've repeated this process more times and for longer durations than you can imagine). The only solution I've found so far is to take my seemingly lifeless phone to an Apple store, where they perform a forced reboot. I've had to make this trip a total of three times because I'm a student and can't afford to purchase a new phone outright. This suggestion came from an Apple Genius technician since I originally bought my phone in the US, and it couldn't be repaired in the UK.

Each time I visited the Apple store, they ran a diagnostic test, and each time, everything appeared to be in good health. My battery and hardware checked out fine, and the only explanation the Apple Genius technicians provided was that it's a "glitch." Living this way is not an option for me, as I rely on my phone for both school and work, and I'm currently unable to afford a replacement. I almost got fined in the London subway as my phone had died during a trip and I didn't have a way to prove that I had bought a ticket at the exit. I'm feeling frustrated and like I've been taken advantage of by Apple, the Genius technicians aren't providing me with any sort of useful help or information and I've exhausted all available solutions. I'm strongly convinced that this problem is a result of iOS 17, something that is completely out of my control. What options do I have?

Thanks.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 4:50 AM

I have an iPhone 14 Pro, and did the 17.4 update last night. Now the phone will randomly shut down. I can do the volume up/down --> power button hold restart. But it invariably just ends up shutting down again when the phone autolocks. Can someone at Apple please guide on how to fix this?

Similar questions

18 replies

Nov 13, 2023 6:52 AM in response to Mysticxe

Hey, the issue has been persisting for me but I might've found a workaround. If your phone turns off and will not turn back on even if you try and reset it while charging, you should try and remove the SIM card from your phone and attempt to reset it again while charging, this has worked for me. Best of luck!

Nov 12, 2023 10:55 PM in response to willkg

I have the exact same problem! Apple SERIOUSLY needs to fix this as it’s affecting my life as a student. I need it mainly for school and it randomly shuts off for hours and hours then suddenly turns back on. I wish I never updated it to IOS 17! I’ve had so many problems ever since the update I wish I could revert to iOS 16

Apr 11, 2024 10:28 PM in response to willkg

The same thing is happening to my phone aswell, I updated my phone to iOS 17.4.1 and after this update, my phone will just switch off every 10 minutes or so while I’m using it. Reading the comments I genuinely think this is the new update that has this bug that is causing our phones to switch off. I hope apple fixes this issue soon because it actually disrupts certain things in peoples lives.

Jan 1, 2024 1:53 PM in response to Mysticxe

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here not very tech savvy. I noticed after giving iOS permission to check out Google their 17 point something update, or another a few minutes later “”””” my phone started shutting down. Luckily, I happen to notice and got it back up.. there has to be something in settings where you can be notified or alerted before they do an update. As a matter fact, I just asked Siri if he could notify me before they go to shut down my phone and he said no problem he would add it to the alerts. I’m not anywhere near Tex as most of you as you’re probably my children’s and grandchildren’s age so get into settings and see if there’s something there I know you can find something your are the smartest generation if I may proudly say so?👍🤭

Apr 26, 2024 7:03 PM in response to Senchikoo

Same thing here, iPhone 14 Plus keeps shutting down many times in a day for 2-3 days already. Since iOS 17.4.1 I got some glitch, like the the clickable stuff on a web page does not respond at all when clicking on it. Sometimes I was not able to scroll down a page in safari, Apple News, etc.

those glitch happened in the past weeks.

Now it keeps randomly rebooting, more when Facebook or messenger are opened and if I look a video ou listen to a podcast, it occurs more.

please apple fix that asap.

thanks!

iPhone randomly shuts off and won't turn back on after iOS 17 Update: Seeking Solutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.