Apple Watch Ultra battery draining while on charge after updating to OS 10.1

After I update my Apple Watch Ultra software 30mins ago the battery keeps draining while the watch is on charge. It was on 80% and while on charge with the green bolt sign showing it’s dropped to 76%

I’ve tried restarting my Apple Watch Ultra and iPhone 15pro but the battery percentage still drops on my Apple Watch Ultra while on charge.

my iPhone 15pro software is up to date too with ios 17.1.

how to fix this. Please advice

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 9:38 PM

Yes I have ultra 1 and updated and samething. Use to get 48 hrs out of watch and now get less then 8 hrs plus getting no help!

147 replies

Oct 28, 2023 1:41 PM in response to BeakyBuzzard9

Just spoke with apple customer support: and the only solutions are

• return the watch and ask for an OS downgrade to 10.02
  • wait until a new upgrade is released

They recommended not using the watch in the interim period. 

I have asked that this case be escalated and made reference to other users (you!) having the same issue. The support has escalated this accordingly.

So no solution (yet), but at least flagged and hopefully not too long to wait. 

*** UPDATE

Interestingly the apple support removed my earlier post, stating the this was no place for developers discussion.

So let me be very clear: I installed the released 10.1 update which was pushed onto all devices - NOT a beta. Your own support referred to it as ‚beta‘ - however it clearly isn’t and this post absolutely belongs here.

[Edited by Moderator] 

Oct 30, 2023 5:52 AM in response to BeakyBuzzard9

This is wild. I had a 5+ year-old Apple Watch SE that worked fine (despite having a busted side button). Like a good little Apple customer, I keep my software updated and the 10.1 update murdered the poor thing. I figured after five years, it just gave up the ghost. I went up to the Apple store and bought a brand new Ultra 2 and the thing dies after a couple hours. I've shut everything off. It's essentially a pretty brick on my wrist that drains 15% just by walking a mile.

I really hope they rush a patch out asap. This is very disappointing. The reason I stick with Apple is because everything "just works".

Oct 27, 2023 5:33 AM in response to BeakyBuzzard9

My brand new Ultra 2 went from 2-2.5 days of battery before the update, to going from 100% to 20 percent in less than 5 hours.

It does charge and it does not overheat. This is NOT normal behaviour due to rebuild of caches or other such mumbo jumbo.

Reboots, and restores without backups make no difference (as others have allready reported), presumably going back to 10.0 might make a difference but that is not possible.

Hoping a fix comes quickly. For now, I put it in Energy saving mode, that seems to bypass whatever process is sucking up energy (though it is a somewhat crippled device now).

Apple Watch Ultra battery draining while on charge after updating to OS 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.