Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Screen Scratching Easily?

I've had my new iPhone since launch date and only just noticed a tiny scratch in the top right of the screen. It's not minor as I can feel it by running my nail along the screen and just very confused where it's come from. I always have the phone by itself in my pocket and haven't dropped it or anything similar at all.

Compare that to my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max which I never had a screen protector on and it's been dropped a handful of times with not a single scratch on the screen.

I don't have a screen protector atm so technically my fault, but I'm struggling to understand what could have scratched it so easily.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 12:14 PM

Ive had mine since launch, I also have had every iPhone ever, never wore a case or screen protector, I dropped those hundreds of times and never got scratches. My iPhone 15 Pro Max has more scratches on it in 1 month with 0 drops than any phone ive ever had in my life, my entire screen is deep scratches. it is terrible.

233 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 12:14 PM in response to christianfromguernsey

Ive had mine since launch, I also have had every iPhone ever, never wore a case or screen protector, I dropped those hundreds of times and never got scratches. My iPhone 15 Pro Max has more scratches on it in 1 month with 0 drops than any phone ive ever had in my life, my entire screen is deep scratches. it is terrible.

Nov 24, 2023 6:23 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Place the blame where it is due. I hope you are not saying my pants changed their fabric, or my laundry decided to crystallize now that Apple has presented IPhone 15. If I have never used a screen protector since Iphone 11, used the same kind of pants and same detergent etc, why would Iphone 15 screen get scratches now. The answer is simple- bad quality and that also with no warning that they are using inferior screen in the new phone.

Nov 5, 2023 9:00 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I think you’ve clearly missed the point here that previous iPhones without screen protectors didn’t scratch easy and now the “most advanced” iPhone is scratching after a week of owning it. The user behavior is the exact same but the result is different. This isn’t a post about whether screens get scratches in your pocket.

Dec 5, 2023 1:09 AM in response to christianfromguernsey

I normally don´t express my opinion and facts as i keep it to my apple business representative, but this is a big issue that needs to be highlighted.

I'm an user of iPhone since the 3GS times, and I've actually tested and supported on a professional environment virtually all the devices that apple has commercially made available since the Mac g3. The scratches over the screen is something so common that we halted the deployment of Iphone15 family devices and rollback to iPhone 14 family. It scratches almost easily as the plastic body of the pre-unibody MacBook's.

The suggestion to use screen protectors is not appropriate as, by design the advantages of the display are the reflect and oleophobic coatings it has. no screen protector has the same coatings, and the glue layers alters the light dispersion of the screen, no matter the quality, and I'm not into the aesthetics, just on the usability.

Nov 29, 2023 10:09 PM in response to christianfromguernsey

New phone with micro scratches! 15 pro max. I’ve owned every iPhone since the beginning of iPhones. I baby my devices. Because of the titanium feature I actually considered not covering this phone, but out of habit I got a case. The quality is definitely not what I’m accustomed to. I’ve never put any screen protectors in my phones. They never scratched. Not even a little bit. So I’m not sure what to think about the 15. So far I am really disappointed. And the phone was $$$$!

Dec 15, 2023 9:55 AM in response to dawnkeys

Update: My heart just couldn't take the scratches on my brand new phone. The thought of living with that for 1-2 years was not palatable. After a week of running around with Customer support then back to sales - I finally got a replacement phone last night. It was worth the hassle of the hours on the phone and another hour in the Apple Store to transfer everything over to the new phone (again). This time I bought the Belkin tempered glass protector screen ($39.95) from the Apple store and purchased the 2 year Apple Care coverage ($199). So $1600+ later... This phone is expensive! I do not expect it to scratch or crack but since this is a quality none of us are used to, the Apple care should cover any mis-haps. Maybe this is their way of selling the Apple care insurance. It worked. I'm pretty certain after reading all your posts, they are seeing customers coming back for replacements. They've filed it under -"shipped out with scratches". And all the genius' there were saying that. Even when I didn't use those words- not once. If there were scratches, I certainly didn't see them initially. But I also know I didn't do anything to put them there. I'm grateful they stood behind their product.

Dec 4, 2023 1:24 PM in response to christianfromguernsey

Ha. Same scenario. I have a perfect scratch across the bottom left corner that occurred in the first month after incredibly light usage and extra babying as I tend to do for the first month =p....My iPhone 12 went through **** and it took a trip in a beach bag to get its first noticeable scratch. Definitely a drop in quality or some coincidence we have.

iPhone 15 Screen Scratching Easily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.