You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 15 won't scan QR codes

Hello,

Ever since I got my last iPhone (14pm) I have had this issue.

I thought it would be solved but it's a full year later and my new iPhone (15 pro max) still cannot scan QR codes.

This is exclusively for IN APP QR code scanning.

For example, to setup a wifi device on my home network, google has me scan the QR code of the router.

When I open the qr scanner in the google app, the camera is unfocused and blurry. Leaving it unable to scan the qr code.

Sometimes, If I back psychically back the phone up away from the code, it can scan. However, most of the time, this trick doesn't work as it's far too small/far away from the QR code to accurately scan it.

What is going on?

When will this be fixed?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 12:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 11:08 AM

I can confirm that I have the same issue. I tried scanning barcode via Discogs using my iPhone 11 and it captured it instantly. However using my iPhone 15 Pro, the focus on the barcode is blurry and even after I get a clear view of the barcode, it still won’t read it. Sucks.

103 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2023 11:08 AM in response to macant1

I can confirm that I have the same issue. I tried scanning barcode via Discogs using my iPhone 11 and it captured it instantly. However using my iPhone 15 Pro, the focus on the barcode is blurry and even after I get a clear view of the barcode, it still won’t read it. Sucks.

Dec 8, 2023 10:50 AM in response to macant1

There's something OS side that isn't handling focusing properly. My bet is it is on these new macro mode feature that iOS 17 has.

To prove it try this: Go to the stock camera app and focus on a QR code from far away, then move the phone closer. You'll notice a focus shift and a flower icon show in the lower corner of the screen. The phone changed modes automatically to this macro mode and was able to focus up close. Then go to the iOS native QR code scanning app/utility. Try the same thing. It won't focus.

Apple needs to fix this or provide devs a way to call this macro mode from within their apps. They don't even have it right within their own apps.

Nov 1, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Michaju

hello,

This is an issue with the focus of the lens for up close photos in third party apps which render you unable to adjust the focus manually by tapping.

Therefore, this is not helpful. To confirm:

1. All apps are up to date
  2. Camera lens is completely clean
  3. there is no lens protector
  4. Apple camera app to scan qr codes is enabled.

Dec 24, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

It's easy to say that and dismiss the responsibility of the hardware/software manufacturer, but when all these apps work perfectly on a previous version of the device, and then the manufacturer releases a new device and with NO CHANGES to the apps or specified necessary by the manufacturer, all these 'third party' apps fail in the same way, that excuse is no longer worthy of any consideration.

That's like saying if a car manufacturer swaps the gas and brake pedals in a car but tells no one and a bunch of people crash, it's the fault of the drivers. It's false, dismissive, and far from helpful.

Nov 26, 2023 3:42 PM in response to macant1

This is definitely an iPhone 14/15 problem. Previously I had a 12 and it never had this issue. When trying to scan barcodes or QR codes with third party apps like the Alexa app to add a plug for example, the camera/app will not allow zoom adjustment to be able to capture the QR code. This may be due to the new lenses in the cameras, but that excuse still does not address the fact we have tons of folks out there that have this same issue with the cameras. Either Apple or the Third party Devs need to collaborate on a fix or allow in app zoom to resolve or this will just get worse as the cameras evolve.

I opened a ticket with Amazon for this same issue and it’s a dead end & deaf ears.

Nov 26, 2023 8:11 AM in response to macant1

I’m using an iPhone 15 Pro for past few days and have been unable to scan a British National Lottery ticket using their app and just now trying to add a Nest camera to out Google account. Mrs did both using her iPhone 14. My theory as to why is both apps (and perhaps any others requesting a QR scan) are using one of the IPhone 15 Pro’s lenses - which isn’t the correct or most suitable one. Please fix.

Dec 9, 2023 10:19 AM in response to macant1

Found a work around for devs to implement within the app. Disagree that this responsibility sits in individual app devs. There are 1000’s of apps that use the camera that previously had no knowledge of the specifics of how a phone camera focuses. Apple needs to be responsible for ensuring their HW works with their supported OS’s. Case-in-point is this doesn’t even work on Apple’s native QR scanning utility. So if anyone is going to yell at devs, it should be at Apple’s devs since they don’t even have it right on their own QR scanner.

At a minimum there needed to be documentation to call this out.

For the devs:

Call

AVCaptureDevice.selectBestCameraAvailable

and enable the auto focus property

it’s fixed. My 15 Pro uses the triple camera after the fix.

Feb 3, 2024 2:11 PM in response to macant1

I wish that I didn’t trade in my 12, that phone scanned QR’s and barcodes without issue. This 15 Pro isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Just a gimmick the camera is movie quality, like I needed that. But simple scanning it can’t do. I need a phone to scan for my business, if Apple isn’t going to correct it soon I need to make a decision, can’t wait. Looks like they’ve known about it a long time.

My iphone 15 won't scan QR codes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.