Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPad Pro charging problem after 17.1.1 update

ipad Pro 12.9 3rd gen not charging after updating to 17.1.1

I managed to restore the iOS back to 17.1.1 and nothing helped

tried every combination of plugs and cables at my disposal but nothing

now my iPad is completely dead and not sure what to do

also port and battery are still good and when iPad was connected to a pc it was recognized but still wouldn’t charge. I’m stumped.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 9:04 AM

I am having this same problem. My iPad Pro 3rd generation was working just fine until I updated to iOS 17.2. All the apps still work, but it will not charge. I have done a hard reset multiple times and cleaned out the connector space (although it was fine) just to make sure. I tried multiple Apple chargers, but none of them worked, but they all worked fine for other devices. Something seems to be going on with older iPad Pros and iOS 17 with regard to charging. Hopefully, Apple will release an update that fixes this soon as all our older iPad Pros cannot currently be charged/used.

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2023 9:04 AM in response to Oz_312

I am having this same problem. My iPad Pro 3rd generation was working just fine until I updated to iOS 17.2. All the apps still work, but it will not charge. I have done a hard reset multiple times and cleaned out the connector space (although it was fine) just to make sure. I tried multiple Apple chargers, but none of them worked, but they all worked fine for other devices. Something seems to be going on with older iPad Pros and iOS 17 with regard to charging. Hopefully, Apple will release an update that fixes this soon as all our older iPad Pros cannot currently be charged/used.

Jan 8, 2024 4:53 PM in response to fmenard123

Contacted Support, initially they wanted to charge me $1148 ( likely replacement cost for Gen 3 currently) for a send in assessment. I felt this was unfair, given the device was functioning perfectly before the update. I requested it to be escalated. Had contact from an escalation manager and have arranged for it to be assessed by an apple partner near where I live to see if its a software or hardware issue.

I feel if apple refuse replacement I would persue this under consumer protection act, I know its 4 years old however the devices are considered a premium high quality device and the initial purchase cost is significant. I would expect to get more than 4 years out of the device not forgetting that is has worked flawlessly up until the update and their software update bricked the device?

Will update once i know more, wont be able to get the device to the apple partner for a week or so due to work commitments.

Mar 5, 2024 10:11 PM in response to rodd244

update.... now almost 5 weeks after escalation to a Senior advisor and iv'e heard nothing, no replies to phone calls or emails? The device has been unusable since Dec 23 and apple has not communicated anything on this issue.

A recent email from community forum suggested my posts alone had been viewed over 6000+ times after the first up vote (there s now 11) suggesting there is more to this issue and we are being kept in the dark.

Apple what is going on and when is this issue going to be addressed publicly?

Jan 15, 2024 7:39 AM in response to Oz_312

Another one to add to the list. My 2 year old M1 iPad Pro 11" has been perfect up until this morning no charging issues or glitches ever on iPadOS 17.2 or previous versions. BUT

Plugged in as usuall this morning to charge, got to 30% then stopped charging altogether using my original Apple charger and cables. Also now the USB port is compleatly dead, not recognised on my Mac or a PC when plugging it in so cant even restore it. Tried other Apple chargers and cables, still dead. Checked the USB port, no damage and clean.

Someone who managed to solve the issue let his iPad compleatly discharge so it hadnt even got enough power to display connect to a charger symbol after it has shut down after getting to 1% . So now waiting until it has zero power (probably will have to wait a few days now) and then try again.

Currently the iPad is bricked. Not great as its my only ipad. :-(

Dec 16, 2023 3:46 PM in response to Oz_312

An IPAD that is dead for no longer being able to be charged, cannot be software upgraded to a new IpadOS version that presumably will fix the mess that IpadOS 17.1.1 created to begin with with my IPAD Pro 11 inch (1st gen). So this being said, since I was fortunate to keep Apple Care on it, will result in a visit to the Apple Store to get the iPad replaced. It must be costing Apple a fortune, so no wonder they are quiet on this and play dumb.

Jan 23, 2024 9:18 AM in response to Oz_312

My 2018 IPad Pro just experienced exactly the same problem discussed by others in this thread. I used it every day for years and it had been working perfectly, charging to 100% everyday with no hint of a battery issue. Then, a week ago after plugging it in to the same charger I always used, it was at 1% and could not start-up more than for one second before shutting down. I tried every charging method I had including plugging into my MacBook. Nothing. I took it to the Genius Bar at Apple Store along with a printout of this thread. The agent was polite and professional, but clearly trained to never admit that Apple could be responsible for a device failure. He reviewed my printout of this thread and admitted after my pointed question that he had heard of this issue being raised. He tried different chargers and also tried to access my IPad through his MacBook but could get no more response than I could get. He said it was probably not a hardware issue with the port because the temporary response in my IPad when he plugged various things in showed that a signal was getting through the port. The best he could offer me was an "out of warranty swap out" at a cost to me of about $500. When I told him that seemed unfair given the evidence that Apple software killed it, he said I could talk to Apple Support and arranged for them to call me. The Apple rep called me at the time arranged, and as I explained everything, she said I should talk to a Senior Advisor. He also was polite and responsible but also trained to never admit that Apple could be at fault. He too offered an out of warranty swap out with a new 2018 MacBook Pro for $535. Really? You can get a brand new MacBook Pro for close to that on sale, so he basically offered me less than nothing. I could maybe understand Apple's position if I was the only person complaining about a dead 2018 IPad. But when there is evidence that many older MacBook Pros suddenly died with the exact same symptoms within 2 months of an Apple software update, that puts the company in an extreme anti-consumer position.

Jan 7, 2024 7:23 PM in response to Oz_312

Same Issue here,IPAD Gen 3. Device has worked flawlessly up until installing 17.1.1, device would then no longer charge. Contacted support via device app. tried a few things with them. Diagnostics showed Bat was still at 95% health. In the end powered off device and left for several hours it charged once. Performed a full backup and then upgraded to 17.2, device still not charging and wont recognise device in itunes. (so cant do a factory reset) Device now totally flat, noticed in dim light that backlight pulses every 5 secs or so when connected to charger.

What is apple doing to repair currently bricked devices, given there was nothing wrong wiith my device prior to the update?

Jan 31, 2024 7:11 AM in response to Oz_312

6th-gen iPad Pro 12.9” here running 17.3. Anker charging cable rated to 100W. Anker power bank able to supply 100W to a single port. Battery has a display that reads output. Currently charging at 5-7W w/ screen off. When I got it new last week, I got 35W. Turned the iPad completely off and charging jumped to 35-36W. Turned iPad back on and it stayed at above 30W. Definitely not just older devices and clearly related to the OS.

Mar 6, 2024 4:54 PM in response to rodd244

Latest update....got tired of receiving no updates from Senior Advisor via email or phone for over a month, called support again, new Senior advisor (now number 3) allocated. Unable to resolve issue based on the age of the device (in 4th year). Issue now escalated to the Consumer law team.

I find this astounding that regardless of the age of the device and the fact it was in perfect working order they can brick a device with an update and then dispute repair or replacement just because its out of warranty?

It really seems like a case consumer protection laws issues here, on one hand we the Australian Consumer Guarantee laws or you 'pay' additional for Apple care warranty for something that should be coved under the Australian Consumer Guarantee Laws - What is a reasonable time frame for usage for a device. Personally I expect a device marketed as a 'premium' device that you pay around $1200AU for to last several years, particularly when it's not caused by misuse or age but rather an apple update?

Apple has a responsibly to resolve this given their update caused this issue regardless of the age of the device. As indicated on this forum, the issue isn't iPad generation specific it has 'bricked' older and newer generation devices in a very similar fashion ?

Jan 30, 2024 4:40 PM in response to LuckySam

Update to my previous post of 1/23 about my non-charging iPad Pro, about which the Genius Bar and Apple Tech support had no fix. After continuing to retry a number of different cables and charge cubes over several days with zero success, I concluded my iPad was dead, put it on a shelf, and ordered a new iPad from Amazon. A couple of days later, I realized I never tried using the power cable for my MacBook Pro, so I thought what have I got to lose. Plugged that in overnight and to my astonishment the iPad came alive and charged to 100%. I assumed this was a freaky thing and not a fix, so I experimented and drained the battery down by 5-10% to see if it would recharge. As I feared, no recharge from my MacBook charger after that one time. So I went back through my assortment of cables and charge cubes again. I found one, and only one, combination of cable and cube that was recognized, and it has been recharging my iPad for a week now. Will this last? Who knows, but I did cancel my order of a new iPad.

After reading the numerous posts about iPadPro charging issues in this and other forums, it's obvious that there is a charging defect in the iPad Pros or software, at least in older ones such as my 2018, that Apple refuses to acknowledge, and that is shameful company behavior. As a final note, whatever bug is in these iPads is a weird one. These posts have noted a multitude of different actions users (like me) have tried to revive their non-charging iPads that should, technically, make no difference in how the iPad responds, but some occasionally have worked for some users. Although mine is working now, I know that any day it could again refuse to charge for no discernible reason.

Mar 23, 2024 1:02 AM in response to Oz_312

2018 iPad Pro 11 that updated to 17.4.1 last might. Stopped charging after update and like everyone, i tried numerous cable combos, force restart, etc. but nothing worked. What eventually worked for me was unplug the iPad from the charging cable, do a shutdown, and when it's fully off, plug the cable back in. After the Apple logo appeared during boot and the iPad was back up, I saw the charging icon and it slowly started to charge back towards 100%.

iPad Pro charging problem after 17.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.