billing problem email

I received an email that looks like it is from Apple, but I want to be certain. It has the following text with a button that says FIX VISA

There is a problem with your payment method which may prevent the renewal of this subscription. To avoid losing access to your service, update your payment information.

iPhone 12

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 6:23 AM

Same with me. My card is not near expiry at all and there seems to be no indication in the app store or settings or anywhere else that there is a problem with my payment method.

If this is legit, as I'm starting to believe it is, then Apple has really missed the mark on this one. Here is why this email looks like a phishing scam:

• Generic subject line: "Billing Problem"
  • Unnecessarily urgent, consequences for not taking action: "To avoid losing access to your service, please update your payment information."
  • No details about what the problem is other than a repeat of "Billing Problem" in the body of the email.
  • A link to "Fix" the problem rather than instructions to go to account to fix the problem.

The only thing going for this email is that the headers show that the email is coming from Apple and the links do appear to be links to itunes but scams are getting so sophisticated and change so quickly that those assurances may not be enough and certainly aren't enough for me.

Apple should know better.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2023 6:23 AM in response to JeffreysWilson

Same with me. My card is not near expiry at all and there seems to be no indication in the app store or settings or anywhere else that there is a problem with my payment method.

If this is legit, as I'm starting to believe it is, then Apple has really missed the mark on this one. Here is why this email looks like a phishing scam:

• Generic subject line: "Billing Problem"
  • Unnecessarily urgent, consequences for not taking action: "To avoid losing access to your service, please update your payment information."
  • No details about what the problem is other than a repeat of "Billing Problem" in the body of the email.
  • A link to "Fix" the problem rather than instructions to go to account to fix the problem.

The only thing going for this email is that the headers show that the email is coming from Apple and the links do appear to be links to itunes but scams are getting so sophisticated and change so quickly that those assurances may not be enough and certainly aren't enough for me.

Apple should know better.

Dec 27, 2023 6:01 AM in response to JeffreysWilson

I got 3 emails, one for each of my subscriptions. I did a live chat with Apple Support and the guy told me that the emails are legit and it's a known issue currently that has to do with Apple Cash. He said that he'd have to set me up with an Apple Wallet advisor to get it looked into for me. I'm at work so I set up a call back for later today. Hopefully, it'll get resolved quickly. I'll report back with what I learn.

Dec 28, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Cat_Lover8888

This is certainly not the case with me....this is just terrible form (or a bug) by Apple. First of all, companies should never have a button to click in an email. That sets people up for scams that direct you to other sites. All companies should say "Please log into your account and go to payments..." or whatever. Secondly, the email should tell you what the reason to go into your account is ("your credit card is set to expire". I expect better from Apple.

Dec 25, 2023 1:01 PM in response to JeffreysWilson

Same. Received this email, checked settings on my phone, checked my plastic card expiry date, checked everything I could think of and reset my appleid password (just in case). No idea what can be wrong. From email address ended in "apple.com". So no idea what this could be. The body of my email contained my first name and a button that said "Fix VISA ...XXXX (Apple Pay)" with the XXXX being the last 4 digits of my credit card.

I'm a little unsettled since this seems like a phishing scam but one that is very sophisticated and using part of my credit card number. Is Apple losing it or is this fake and I should cancel my card number at this point?

Dec 26, 2023 3:02 PM in response to muguy

I got this email today. It’s from no_reply@email.apple.com. Even has a “verified logo” according to Apple mail, so if this is phishing, then they’ve managed to spoof DKIM, SPF and DMARC.

I’m wondering if it’s a case of SMTP smuggling (https://sec-consult.com/blog/detail/smtp-smuggling-spoofing-e-mails-worldwide/). iCloud was listed as a vulnerable server in that article.

I stupidly clicked the link by accident when trying to see where it went by holding my finger down on it. As the other user stated it loaded the App Store and triggered Face ID, taking me to the payments page. If this is a phishing scam, it’s pretty sophisticated. I’ve changed my ID password, and have 2FA turned on, but I’m still spooked by this.

Dec 28, 2023 5:17 AM in response to JeffreysWilson

On my call with Apple Support yesterday, they told me that the issue was that my payment method was set to expire at the end of December. I thought that was weird because my card doesn't expire until Jan 2026, so maybe it's a glitch on Apple's end. Anyway, ended up just deleting the payment method and updating it and relinking it to my wallet.

Dec 29, 2023 11:13 PM in response to JeffreysWilson

Same here. I’ve now received 2 of them. I don’t believe this is phishing. They know the last 4 digits of my credit card and it also says specifically which of my subscription apps are impacted. But it’s also a mystery and I called apple and the person said nothing was wrong on their end. Some kind of glitch it seems but I’m worried my subscriptions won’t renew.

billing problem email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.