Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 14 became unresponsive after iOS 17.2.1 update

iPhone 14 and after upgrading to the new iOS 17.2.1 the phone became slow, battery dies quickly, it takes me 30 seconds to be able to make calls, if I search for a contact it takes more than one minute to show results

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 1:51 AM

We're having exactly the same issue. iPhone 12 Pro updated to iOS 17.2.1 and became unresponsive making calls, WhatsApp messages and random inputs. Battery also getting very hot. Replaced phone for user with iPhone 15 Pro and restored backup from first device. Same issue then. We did a factory reset (but obviously now with 17.2.1 as base OS) still same issue. Was on with Apple support for over 40 minutes and they couldn't find the issue. Mobile operator is not the problem. Again, we're IT too - issue is infuriating and seems to be OS related

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2023 1:51 AM in response to DanieleAP

We're having exactly the same issue. iPhone 12 Pro updated to iOS 17.2.1 and became unresponsive making calls, WhatsApp messages and random inputs. Battery also getting very hot. Replaced phone for user with iPhone 15 Pro and restored backup from first device. Same issue then. We did a factory reset (but obviously now with 17.2.1 as base OS) still same issue. Was on with Apple support for over 40 minutes and they couldn't find the issue. Mobile operator is not the problem. Again, we're IT too - issue is infuriating and seems to be OS related

Jan 7, 2024 8:29 AM in response to DanieleAP

please fix this version before someone has an emergency and can’t utilize their phone for help!

I have iPhone 12 Pro ever since 17.2.1 I am having trouble, sometimes making calls connecting to my cellular, my Safari is completely crazy sometimes, sometimes I cannot go backwards. Sometimes the screen is so big I can’t zoom out, so I can see what I’m looking at the other day. My keyboard was upside down on my screen while I was looking at my screen my watch is not connecting to my phone properly, there were three of us in the car, none of us could make calls it would act like it was calling something, and then nothing would happen with the phone, but we would get a text, saying how come, you’re not answering your phone . I pulled over so I could test mine which was not working either and Finally one of us restarted our phones they started working again.

Jan 4, 2024 10:36 PM in response to DanieleAP

We have the same issue. Observation if you have enabled restriction of "Opening documents from managed to unmanaged apps not allowed" in your device restriction profile this issue occurs. It seems the MDM stack is buggy in iOS 17.2 updates. If we remove the above-mentioned restriction the calling functionality works without any issue.

This issue worsens if the contact list is on the higher side, that's the reason only selective users are impacted for calling functionality. We impacted users were had a contact list of more than 10k. Those with a lower number of contacts say under 4k didn't have any issues with calling.

Dec 22, 2023 6:15 AM in response to DanieleAP

We are facing this issue on more than 40 devices updated to 17.2 and now to 17.2.1, nothing better.

We target the contacts part in between our Outlook mobile apps (deployed with intune) with the save contacts option enabled. Once we disable IT and goes to the help and do a "Delete All saved contacts" the device works fine again. Doing this remove the Caller ID, as we do not have any more pour contacts on the native apps.

Dec 22, 2023 1:56 AM in response to DHardiman

Totally agreed! Me too. I did the same at the Apple Store, replaced the phone, restored the backup, reset it, and configured it as new. Nothing! I also tried a different Sim card from a different Mobile carrier. I can add that we have DLM devices enrolled on Intune, but we have about 4000 devices enrolled and updated, and at the moment, only 3 have the issue. Very frustrating.

Dec 29, 2023 9:17 PM in response to DanieleAP

The issue lies with iOS, so we need to wait for Apple's update.

I've attempted various solutions (including multiple visits to their service center ).

One successful workaround for the past five hours is to disable Siri and Search—contacts are now searchable at least.

phone is back to normal for now

all the best folks

Jan 9, 2024 2:36 PM in response to dlutsyk

This is what Apple suggested to me.

- Disabling the following options in Settings

Contacts > Siri & search:

• Show App in search

• Show Contact suggestions

- Reducing the number of duplicates contacts on the device

I have not validated this with anyone other than it being related to a large number of Contacts.

Each user that is having the issue has a lot of Contacts.

Jan 3, 2024 8:29 PM in response to DanieleAP

Mine is slow too emails sending checking the phone operation is jerky plus with iOS 17.2.1 my messages stop syncing to iCloud after talking to 4 senior reps one finally said “wait for an update it’s a known issue “ Man after all there 20 plus years of iPhones I can’t believe this one is slower than my iPhone 4 years ago 😳 Frustrating as all get out. Not that it’s a cheap phone either I paid $1700 w Apple Care

Mar 5, 2024 3:10 PM in response to groovypants

I tried the update too. I need to setup another device though as I stupidly changed some settings and unsure if that changed something too to improve it.

WhatsApp was still failing calls, then I switched off various Siri services. After that, WhatsApp worked well.

I hope the update stops the duplication, very hard to replicate what users at work are experiencing, but I have managed to just manually duplicate to force the issue.

I'll test a 17.3 device, will have to enroll it etc...... after that will force the issue and then update to 17.4. I'll feedback on this tomorrow.

Dec 22, 2023 12:18 AM in response to DanieleAP

Here are some common solutions you can attempt:

1. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  2. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly
  3. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  4. Make sure you have the latest updates installed. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  5. You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
    1. You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
    2. The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
    3. Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
    4. You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
    5. Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.
    6. Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of the above issues:
  6. Please follow the steps in the following Apple Video for support with this issue:

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

iPhone 14 became unresponsive after iOS 17.2.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.