Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Family sharing - Wrong country/region on invite

Trying to set up Family sharing with my adult son. Family sharing is already set up, and working, with my wife. When I send him the invitation he gets an error

He lives less than an hour away in the same state.

Any assistance greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Purchase sharing is on. I have tried an invite to his phone number and in an email to his Apple ID. No joy.

TIA,

Skip

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 8:05 AM

I’m having the exact same problem - but with my husband. Both profiles set to US.

Did you find a solution?

52 replies

Jan 6, 2024 4:09 PM in response to SundaySoftware

Great you found a solution that works for you but that doesn’t help us because the invitee is a child account. That account cannot be the organizer. Apple is dropping the ball on this big time. They are aware of this issue and not providing a solution or software fix is unacceptable on an 800 dollar device.

Jan 1, 2024 1:09 PM in response to skiph

I had all the same problems but have solved them.

Originally, I set up family sharing on MY iphone and sent an invitation to my wife's iphone, but her phone kept saying "wrong country/region." The workaround for me was to, instead, set up family sharing on HER phone first (the one that wouldn't accept my invitation/was giving the wrong country msg) and have her iphone invite my iphone. I accepted her invitation. Once we did that, sharing worked fine.

Feb 10, 2024 3:26 PM in response to skiph

I had the same issue when sending the invite via iMessage. Both Apple accounts were set to the same region.

I got around this by using the "Invite in person" option.

Family Sharing > Add Member (top right icon) > + Invite Others > Invite in Person. Enter the Apple ID and password.

This solution worked for me. Hopefully Apple fix this issue soon.

Jan 2, 2024 9:58 AM in response to skiph

I am having the same issue. I am trying to set up apple music family plan with my mom and the invite also says the country or region does not match. We both checked our phone settings and they both show USA as it should. Did anyone else find a way other than canceling the subscription and changing the country to Europe and back to USA ?

edit: I tried canceling my apple music subscription (which I did just now) and change to Europe, but it is still telling me to cancel my apple music subscription first. I checked my apple music subscription and it shows that is indeed canceled until end of Jan. How the heck to I get this apple music family sharing to work properly?????

Jan 7, 2024 7:17 AM in response to SundaySoftware

Sure that’s an option I suppose but we are paying Apple a monthly fee to share iCloud storage and they have a bug in the system and are not providing any solutions. So disappointing.

Jan 6, 2024 1:17 PM in response to skiph

Same problem for me. Two devices set to same region. Also get this error. I spoke to apple support today. They said restart the devices; that did not work. Then they said they’d call me back in 5 minutes. It’s been 2.5 hours. Lol. I really need a solution to this issue. Please post in here if you find one.

Jan 29, 2024 9:40 AM in response to skiph

Same issue on my iPhone 15 Pro. What worked for me, as mentioned by others in this thread, was to accept the invite from another Apple Device (in my case a MacBook Pro). The error never showed up on my Mac, took a couple seconds for my phone to figure out what was up and everything works flawlessly now. Weird that Apple doesn't have an official solution for this.

Jan 6, 2024 8:30 PM in response to SundaySoftware

Hello,

If you don’t mind, could you please explain how you were able to setup family sharing on your wife’s phone instead of yours, after it was initially set up on your phone?

I purchased the 2TB iCloud storage under my appleID and have attempted to share it with other family members, but they are receiving this wrong country/region error.

Since I am the original admin for the family share group and paid for the additional storage using the card linked to my AppleID, would I need to cancel/downgrade my storage plan first, before initiating a new family share plan on another member’s device?

Or would I be able to set up a new family share group under another family member’s AppleID, but use the same storage that I paid for?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 19, 2024 5:29 PM in response to Anew918

Hi, yeah I did.

1. Cancel any recent invitation you sent to the person you want to have in the Apple family.
  2. Go to your family and click on the “Add” icon but instead of sending the invite via iMessage or any other way, select the option down below “Add in person” (it may say invite in person, I don’t remember 100% the text”
  3. it is going to ask you for the Apple ID and password of the person you want to add to the Apple family.
  4. Then just go through the screen until you finished.

This worked for me and two of my friends who were facing the same problem

Family sharing - Wrong country/region on invite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.