Why is my iPod Classic not syncing with iTunes?

my "classic" 160gb is acting up and won't synch properly...

a bit old school yes, however, that is what I do

I have 2 iPod classics, 1 out in the shop and the newer unit, for use w/ the home system...

when I add new content to iTunes; album purchase, CD I download,...still do that too...

I bring both units to the Mac and synch em up...

2 weeks ago..new album, from I tunes store..did the synch, old unit fine, but the newer unit..

missed portions of a song...now, I just added a new CD, old Pod, again fine...

the new 160gb unit...not getting it done,,,checked all the connections..re-started...all of it,

the iPod is acting up, in a way I can not accurately explain more than I have...

I did notice the "green bolt" which shows on the "synch page" does not show, though the computer and iPod both tell me "connected"

before I Completely "re-store" the unit...

hoping someone can give me a less invasive step(s) to try ?!?

thanx

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 9:14 AM

Similar questions

40 replies

Apr 2, 2024 12:12 PM in response to rowdog44

I don't have any inside track on which build is best. I run the current build unless I find a problem with it, at which point I'd step back one build.

See the iTunes Installers and the comments section at the bottom of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community for links to various builds. Any library you create is forwards compatible with a later build, but the reverse is generally not the case. In principle an XML library export can be imported into any build, but Date Added is always reset.

In particular:

• iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones
  • iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Windows (64-bit) - iTunes64Setup.exe (2018-09-12) Last build to support apps, books, and tones

Are the last builds that can transfer iPod ClickWheel games to an iPod, should you have any.

tt2

Jan 13, 2024 6:40 AM in response to rowdog44

Reformatting is different from restoring. From the Corrupt iPod Classic - Apple Community user tip:

Reformat Drive

If all else fails try Erase your iPod - The Super Fix for most iPod Problems. Basically a low level format of the iPod’s hard drive to get around whatever problems are stopping iTunes from restoring it properly.

Another approach for a Windows formatted iPod is to get a Mac owning friend to restore the device and then return it to you for restoring again on Windows, or have a Mac formatted iPod restored by a Windows user and then restore it again on a Mac.

tt2

Mar 22, 2024 8:18 AM in response to rowdog44

No, you don't need/want the Apple Music for Windows app, but Apple may try to steer you that way. The current version of iTunes for Windows can be obtained from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for general advice on moving a working library from one computer to another. Depending on the builds involved you may need to export the library as an XML file on one computer, modify the XML to take account of changes, and then import the XML file into a new empty library to recreate it. This however resets date added details.

Windows to Mac was traditionally easier as Macs can read Windows formatted discs. Going in the other direction one may need to copy APFS/HFS to FAT then FAT to NTFS, or copy from source to destination over a network.

tt2

Jan 11, 2024 7:32 AM in response to rowdog44

to clarify further...been trying to follow some "previous advice" specifically from " Turingtest" who assisted me w/ some other issues (when using windows) corrupted HD seems possible, however, w/ my library now in the Apple Music ..some steps are not available, or don't seem to be from what is on my screen ...regardless, thought I would just "restore it...but that option gives me the same result as before....

iPod says it's connected ...iTunes shows it "scrolling" or whatever, but it does not move forward, or go to the next step...do not know what that is in tech speak...so... still no replies here ...hopefully that changes ?!?

thanx

Jan 12, 2024 7:56 AM in response to turingtest2

top to bottom, I'm sure you'll know

26c

7c

56c

sure you saw it, I did restore and have no idea if these #'s are effected by that ?

you have helped previously so I did go to some of these steps, as you'd written in other posts to try some steps

regardless ... it's not getting done

in case you ask ; HardDrive 1.3.0d036 SRV v.0129 Dec 2009

I figured "restore" might clear it up, though admit not knowing anything,

why did the old iTunes on the laptop allow me access to even try that step, when my much newer iMac never got past just "spinning" showing it was connected but never moving forward ?!?! well that's why I'm asking, right?

sort of feels like I'll need to bring it to a local shop...did that w/ my older unit (120gb) and has performed fine since though can not recall if it were a similar issue or not ? I'm really careful w/ all my devices, so it's not like it gets tossed around or anything like that ...just old and tired perhaps ?

I'll wait and see if there is any other diagnostic you recommend, that I MAY be able to do...

thanx very much

Jan 12, 2024 9:25 AM in response to rowdog44

The key metrics are reallocations (384, that's fine) and pending sectors (0, again ideal) so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't think Finder in recent versions of macOS is quite as good with older devices as iTunes used to be. Occasionally reformatting the iPod's drive followed by another restore can help where restore on its own doesn't do a good enough job.

tt2

Jan 12, 2024 10:21 AM in response to turingtest2

o k the "reset iPod" fx from the main menu... I figure that's what was meant ...so did that, and because I was already on the Mac, figured Y not ..plugged it in..DID get the "green bolt" telling me more than before and also it allowed me to click on "restore" ...so it looked like it might have got itself going, however..been stuck now on

" you Mac is restoring this iPod "

for what seems like longer than it needs to, as it is empty ...

maybe try that again...those steps and if nothing, guess it's to the shop

Jan 13, 2024 7:04 AM in response to turingtest2

my computer is a Mac...originally windows but migrated and all of that almost 2 years ago...I do see the post says I tunes for windows ...I was simply trying to get back into the right "discussion" and older posts had me in the "windows era"

anyway... the article you shared, as many "recent" searches I've done, seem to relate to iTunes older versions

for a less technically proficient individual, like me, I find navigating thru "Music"...Apple Music , which is where iTunes now lives on my Mac, a bit more challenging and preferences etc often referred to, I can not find ?!?

that article...2002... is that still pertinent for this issue

thanx

Jan 13, 2024 7:44 AM in response to turingtest2

as I continue to search for solutions, I see others dealing with a similar, other, issue...

Apple Music ...generally speaking

I have no need nor desire to use it, I simply want my iTunes library intact, set up for burning/importing CD's or other files which I still do...and can't help but wonder if the "older" iPod(s) I still use, daily..are out of touch w/ what Apple Music is doing..when I synch or whatever...uggh...

looking at a variety of articles...all seem to refer to "preferences" in the drop-down menus which I Do Not have as choice ..."settings" which gives me nothing.... can I eliminate Apple Music ? just have my iTunes ?

cake and eat it too, so to speak .... again thanx

Jan 13, 2024 10:20 AM in response to rowdog44

Yes, still relevant. You're telling your computer to completely wipe the hard drive before you do a restore. The only time you should really avoid this approach is if there is data on the drive you haven't yet recovered, or you've installed some kind of replacement drive in the iPod, e.g. SSD, that cannot be reformatted using the standard Mac or Windows tools.

tt2

Why is my iPod Classic not syncing with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.