Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail prints scroll bars instead of full email

Since the install of yosemite - when i attempt to print an email -- it prints the SCROLL bars and not the entire email.... For expamle i have a receipt from a purchase - instead of printing the last 3 lines (which include total etc) it is cut off - on the right side of the print is a scroll bar. I have attempted to use a smaller percentage etc -- nothing seems to fix this (also tried to use a bigger paper size).

This happens when printing to PDF also

any ideas??

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2016 12:29 PM

This is two years too late, perhaps. I have the same problem with Mail on El Capitan 10.11.6, but have figured out a workaround.

1. Double-click to open the affected message in its own window.

2. Choose menu item Format>Style>Smaller or type ⌘- (cmd-hyphen) to shrink the message's content.

3. Choose menu item File>Print… or type ⌘P to call up the print dialog.

4. If scroll bars still appear in the preview, close the dialog and repeat steps 2, 3, and 4.

5. If scroll bars are gone, print the message. Don't worry that the window content is tiny—it will print full size.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2016 12:29 PM in response to mary_lou

This is two years too late, perhaps. I have the same problem with Mail on El Capitan 10.11.6, but have figured out a workaround.

1. Double-click to open the affected message in its own window.

2. Choose menu item Format>Style>Smaller or type ⌘- (cmd-hyphen) to shrink the message's content.

3. Choose menu item File>Print… or type ⌘P to call up the print dialog.

4. If scroll bars still appear in the preview, close the dialog and repeat steps 2, 3, and 4.

5. If scroll bars are gone, print the message. Don't worry that the window content is tiny—it will print full size.

Nov 16, 2016 7:42 AM in response to mary_lou

I have got the same problem:

emails with scaleable attachments (images, 1-page pdf ...) print differently depending on the current width of the email-window: if the width is "too small" (to render the attachment without scaling) both the resulting pdf and printout will include a vertical scrollbar and will screw up the layout ... either ending right after such an image or some place later on

it seems those problems are not entirely new, a quick search shows the following:

we should provide feedback about this to apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Dec 7, 2016 12:47 AM in response to Stan C.

Thank you, Stan - helped me.

I, too, have El Capitan 10.11.6 - this problem has only come up recently, which makes me wonder if it slipped into the fold during the last minor update. It doesn't happen with every email, either, which is even stranger. I have not yet figured out a connection between the emails that appear this way.

mail prints scroll bars instead of full email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.