Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery drain a lot after ios 8.3

i have issue battery drain a lot after downloads ios 8.3 iphone 6

my phone show battery 95 % after i used safari about 5 minutes the battery drops down 90 %

please help

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 9:19 AM

90 replies

Apr 9, 2015 5:41 PM in response to lewgoodman

You aren't speaking to Apple when you post here, just users like yourself. Every time an update is released, there are hundreds of posts complaining of battery drain. It's almost always one of your apps getting stuck or some other individual device issue and not contained within the update itself, so asking Apple to "fix it" is useless. You'll need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why your device is having this problem.

Apr 9, 2015 5:42 PM in response to hoatran

hoatran wrote:

i have issue battery drain a lot after downloads ios 8.3 iphone 6

my phone show battery 95 % after i used safari about 5 minutes the battery drops down 90 %

please help

Ios 8.2 battery drain

Battery drain on iOS 8.1

ios 8.0.2 battery drain

Will Apple fix the battery drainage problems with ios 7.1.2?

Re: Battery drain issues since IOS 7.1.1 update

Re: battery drain on 7.0.6

Re: Ios 6.1.2 still has battery drain!

I could go on, back to iOS 1.1 almost 8 years ago, but I hope you get the point. Either every version of iOS that has ever been released has had battery problems which were never fixed, or the problem isn't the specific version you updated to. As you didn't have problems with 8.2 apparently, the first option is not the correct one. So instead of focusing on the version as the problem, or waiting for the next version to fix it (it won't), do basic troubleshooting. Here's a very good place to start: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-d rain

The reason battery issues appear after an update is not because of the version you updated to, it is because the update process broke one or more apps, causing them to get stuck in a loop using up energy. It happens, but it is very rare.

Apr 11, 2015 6:11 AM in response to hoatran

agree with the answers here ... more battery drain happening each time iOS has been updated most likely depends on third party apps that haven't been optimized yet for the new OS version. So there's not much to expect from Apple about it, the solution is in the hands of the app developers and if they don't fix the issue by updating their apps, only way out is to delete the troublemaking app (or apps).

This being said, in other cases where iOS is supposedly directly responsible for a problem, and yes it does happen, bug reporting is ok, but keep in mind that the engineers at Apple DO read the threads... they have contacted me too after I posted here. It happens, rarely and that's understandable, but it happens.

Apr 11, 2015 8:17 AM in response to arrow7

Thanks for your insight, @arrow7. Regarding your comment about Apple engineers reading messages, they are permitted to do so, but there is no organized plan to have them read, and they are generally pretty busy. With several thousand posts a day, it's logistically impossible. What does happen is "behind the scenes" activity. Any member at level 6 or higher has access to a private forum where we can talk directly with the hosts who moderate the forums and the managers responsible for its operation. If one of us sees a recurring problem that affects a lot of users we can report it through the chain of command, and it can be escalated to engineering. Generally this only happens with a repeatable problem where a lot of users report the identical symptoms that can be traced to a single cause. Such as deleted photos not being removed from the phone, just hidden. There have been 2 instances where battery drain was related to a specific version of iOS. One was version 2.2, the other was a point release in 4.x. In both cases the number of posts was overwhelming; over 15,000 for the 4.x, and a large, but much smaller number for the 2.2 (of course, there were far fewer users then).

The 2.2 release problem was a bug in the phone app that caused the phone to re-register with the network continuously, rather than every few minutes.

In spite of the 15,000 for the 4.x, the problem only affected a tiny minority of users (about 5%), and some of those users provided specific information that helped locate the problem; it only occurred if the phone had an MS Exchange account, and the user deleted one instance of a repeating event with no end date to the series.

In both cases it was reported to Engineering as I described, and they did contact some users who had posted.

Apr 11, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I also have had serious battery drain since updating to IOS 8.1 and 2 and now 3 on my 4s. I followed many battery life saving suggestions on this and other sites to no avail. Usage and Standby were always the same, even in airplane mode. Finally, this am I removed the last few apps remaining from the phone. This included crunchyroll, a third party flashlight app, dragon box 2, strobosoft and a google login shortcut. The phone is now cool and staying right up there with the CPU at 3-5% while idling instead of 40-60%. Will add apps back in one at a time and see where the gremlin is hiding. A pain to have removed many apps in batches, but at least I think the problem is down to those last few.

Apr 11, 2015 9:21 PM in response to RightGully

Having gone thru the pain of removing everything, you may want to wait a few days since developers seem to be busy updating their wares.

I've had to hold off the upgrades since my Mac is in the shop for a week now, won't be back till Monday, and I never do an update without having a full backup on the computer and then only with iTunes. In the meanwhile, the iPad's and iPhone's App Store are pestering that there are over 30 apps I haven't updated neither, most with stated iOS 8 improvements. So yeah, changes are a-happening.

On a more general note, here's an article on how the "free" apps might turn out to be costlier: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2015/04/01/free-app-ads-kill-phone-batter y-and-data/

battery drain a lot after ios 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.