Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone music app freezing, throwing me out, misbehaving

This is on an iPhone 6 with the latest iOS 8.4.1 as of today, running the music app with an account for the family. As I'm browsing and listening to music, the app threw me out after an hour or so complaining about an authentication failure, unable to log me in. Quitting and restarting the app didn't work. Getting to the iTunes and app store section was impossible as the settings app would freeze when I pressed this menu item. Rebooting the phone got it working.

I am seeing the app misbehaving at irregular intervals, with the screen just going blank with no music list or albums, but it doesn't stop playing what's already on.

At other times, selecting a song doesn't play it. The app appears to "think" about it for a while and simply gives up. Retrying 4-5 times gets it playing.

There's really no problem with my WiFi or net connection and I'm on a 200Mbps fibre line here. Just to test, spotify worked just fine with no glitches.

Are there any tips & tricks you have used to resolve these problems?

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 9:54 AM

I have similar problems on my iPad air 2 .. it´s a 4g capable 128gb unit, and after 5 or so songs relayed via airplay the app stops responding. It hoggs resources like mad, notes app is lagging for example when this happens.

Takes up to 1 minute to recover from this, only sollution so far has been to reboot the ipad to be able to play another 5 or so songs.. Doubletapping home and ending the app does not fix it.

Also if I try to access music tab under settings, after freeze - and before reboot, the same thing happens. Settings app freezes, and music tab is unaccessible.

Streaming via Wi-Fi, or offline songs.. doesn´t matter.

Holy crap this last update has made a mess of this app.

THIS IS A RED FLAG BUG.... Should have been a showstopper in beta already 😟 😟 😟

178 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2015 9:54 AM in response to ssgp

I have similar problems on my iPad air 2 .. it´s a 4g capable 128gb unit, and after 5 or so songs relayed via airplay the app stops responding. It hoggs resources like mad, notes app is lagging for example when this happens.

Takes up to 1 minute to recover from this, only sollution so far has been to reboot the ipad to be able to play another 5 or so songs.. Doubletapping home and ending the app does not fix it.

Also if I try to access music tab under settings, after freeze - and before reboot, the same thing happens. Settings app freezes, and music tab is unaccessible.

Streaming via Wi-Fi, or offline songs.. doesn´t matter.

Holy crap this last update has made a mess of this app.

THIS IS A RED FLAG BUG.... Should have been a showstopper in beta already 😟 😟 😟

Aug 21, 2015 8:43 PM in response to Entomologen

The recent update that was supposed to fix the initial problems with Apple Music (I wasn't having any problems) has actually CREATED problems for me. The app continuously freezes, I can't access the Music menu in Settings to turn Apple Music off altogether. I've also noticed that my battery drain is worse too!! ***. I read today that it seems people are dropping AM at a high rate. No wonder. Me too I'm afraid.

Aug 22, 2015 5:11 AM in response to ssgp

I have similar issues with Apple Music iOs. It was working pretty well up to 2 days ago. Now I have iTunes open on my my Mac and Apple Music on my iPhone is not able to access radio feature or does not play any of my songs. I have rebooted my iPhone every two hours due to this issue. Yesterday, my iPhone announced that I am listening on different device and suddenly my Mac stopped playing my song as my iPhone was trying to access the music catalogue. I think these bugs are really annoying.

Aug 22, 2015 8:10 AM in response to ssgp

This exact problem started a few days ago on my 6+. In the For You tab I will click on a playlist or album (that is not in my library), nothing will happen, then it will kick it back to the original sign up page. If I re-boot, it works for a few hours, then it will start up again. If I am going to pay $14.99 a month, it has to work as advertised.

iPhone music app freezing, throwing me out, misbehaving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.