Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Restore for iPhone 6s - Missing Messages/Recent Calls Missing

Day one my wife and I got our new iPhone 6s (with iOS 9.0). We did an iCloud restore from our iPhone 5s with iOS 9.0.1 and it was successful bringing all our data including Messages and Recent Calls. The phones were then updated to iOS 9.0.1. Everything was working fine...

My phone had an issue which ended up getting me a replacement iPhone 6s (iOS 9.0). From here I tried restoring from the past iPhone 6s (with iOS 9.0.1) iCloud restore. Unfortunately, Messages and Recent Calls did not come over from the past iPhone 6s backup and I even tried various of the iPhone 6s time stamped backups. I also updated the new iPhone 6s to 9.0.2 and still no difference with the restore. It wasn't until I reverted back to my iPhone 5s backup (iOS 9.0.1) that it would bring the Messages and Recent Calls over. Note that the inclusion of the Messages and Recent Calls is evident immediately after the initial restart from restore (when the phone starts downloading apps). This has me worried going forth and here is why!

I've done a new backup and a little digging. I've noticed that both my new backup for the iPhone 6s and wife's are both smaller than our iPhone 5s backup was. Example for my device backups: iPhone 5s: 18 GB, iPhone 6s: 17.1 GB. Note that this seems backwards as if there was any difference for whatever reason, I would imagine that it be on the larger resolution device. Also, this difference in size would seem reasonable for not including Messages (includes messages, videos, audio, etc.) and Recent Calls. There may even be other data that this did not bring over as I did not see it benefit in losing years of messages for a week of new data, i.e. I did not research the loss to the full extent.

Has anyone else experienced this issue recently with an iPhone 6s or maybe there is a known issue I just have not stumbled across.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 4:28 PM

I Spent 6 hours with the geniuses and no one thinks this is a big issue!!!!

not sure if you noticed, but after a restore where all your messages are gone, if you do get new messages, you will not get notified, they will not be in chronological order, if you get multiple messages, the order doesn't change, and most importantly, if you turn your phone off and back on, all those messages will be erased. (this last part they "fixed" by resting settings)

198 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 4:28 PM in response to pardthemonster

I Spent 6 hours with the geniuses and no one thinks this is a big issue!!!!

not sure if you noticed, but after a restore where all your messages are gone, if you do get new messages, you will not get notified, they will not be in chronological order, if you get multiple messages, the order doesn't change, and most importantly, if you turn your phone off and back on, all those messages will be erased. (this last part they "fixed" by resting settings)

Oct 15, 2015 11:15 AM in response to pardthemonster

Just went through the same problem.

My wife's new iPhone 6s has been having issues. Because her phone has more important data I did a test run on my phone iPhone 5s 1st. My phone is on 9.0.2 and I did a full iCloud backup, reset my phone, then restored from backup. Everything came back perfect. We both just started using iCloud back up a few weeks ago. We previously just used our computer so the iCloud backup/restore was kinda a mystery to me exactly what it does and does not do.

Since my test run was a success on my phone (same OS but a different phone) I figured I would do the same on my wife's phone before the in store apple appointment since most of the time they won't replace a phone until a software reset was done and I'd rather not make 2x trips to the apple store. So I did a iCloud backup on her phone, reset, then restore from iCloud backup. The backup seemed to be restoring but when it appears to be done it went to the white screen with an apple logo. Had to do a power reset and the phone powered up. Seems that some settings were restored and some we not. The call history and message were lost which is the big issue. The store could not help me. One of the employees even experienced the same issue and said they worked on his phone the day before for like 6 hours and didn't get anything back. He showed me his phone with empty call history and empty messages and frowned....

Then I called tech support and they said nothing they could do. They also noted there was only one backup and there are usually 2-3. Even when I checked iCloud for the iphone 6s backups it showed no backups. The strange part is the phone shows one. Should have been 2 or 3 (since I know I have manually backed up atleast that many times) on her phone.

Seems like there is a major bug or data issue. Apple should really send out an email to all iCloud backup users warning them of the issue, giving a work around for the time being (such as disabling locate phone then doing a manual backup on your PC before taking your phone in for service), and providing an update when the issue is identified and fixed.

Oct 17, 2015 12:57 PM in response to pardthemonster

NNearly identical issue here: New iPhone 6s was not working right, so I went to the Apple Store and got a replacement phone. On the original new 6s, the messages and call history came over fine with the iCloud backup restore. O. The replacement 6s, no call history, no messages, and the same hang-up on the white screen during the restore process.. So bummed. At least my iMessage history is on my iPad, but SMS from my android-using mom are gone, including photos. Grrrrrr. Apple needs to fix this.

Oct 17, 2015 2:43 PM in response to pardthemonster

Same issue here, after having my defective 6s Plus replaced with a new one yesterday. I was able to use a 5-week old backup successfully after failing with several more recent ones (white Apple logo screen freeze, then empty Messages and call history), but I'm now missing 5 weeks of messages which is totally unacceptable. And even if Apple were to come up with a fix tomorrow or next weak or next month, then all of the new texts I'm writing now would be erased when I restored with yesterday's backup.

So not only does this highlight a huge bug that is causing a lot of wasted time and lost data, but it also makes it painfully clear that Apple needs to come up with a way to have Messages synced across iCloud like email. Whatever they are doing now with iMessages is not a true sync but more like a push. Periodically in the past I'd have inexplicable inconsistencies across my devices even though everything is registered with iMessages and I have my phone set to push texts to all other devices. A true sync service would fix this, too.

Oct 18, 2015 11:36 PM in response to PaulThePilot7

Well after 8+ restores using various iCloud backups and restore methods (Erase all Content & Settings, iTunes restore using fresh download of 9.0.2) I decided to give Apple Support a call to see if there was any other hope. The support person didn't really have any suggestions and even went as far as telling me that Messages are no longer backed up in iCloud/iOS 9, which honestly baffled me. I referenced Apple's own support article that says Messages are indeed backed up and included when restoring (when going from iPhone to iPhone, iPad to iPad, etc.), as they always have been in the past. He told me that the article is outdated......okay buddy!

After he told me that I knew I was done, I can only go so long without the use of my phone. I've already spent my entire Sunday trying to get my replacement phone back to the same state my previous device with no luck. I have to assume this is a 9.0.2 bug, when I restored from my iCloud backup from my to 6 to my first 6S, everything restored like it is supposed to. Apple is no longer signing anything below 9.0.2 so I can't try 9.0.1 or 9.0. I have no choice but to move on without the messages, once you start using your phone and receiving new messages, any hope of getting the others back is lost.

Still Perturbed Patrick

Oct 19, 2015 9:53 PM in response to patscanlan

I noticed while doing my restoring my storage being filed up so i decided to see what was taking up space. I can clearly see the messages label in usage going up. I had around 13gigs of messages. I figured it was was going to restore them all. I was wrong i check back a few hrs later and messages dropped down to 1.3 gigs. which is funny because the messages app sows its empty. iCloud clearly backs up the messages and even starts to down load them. This is extremely frustrating. I have messages I don't want to get rid of/can't get rid of in there. I just started using iCloud backups last week even bought the 1 TB sizes.

Oct 21, 2015 2:40 PM in response to pardthemonster

iOS 9.1 was released today. My backup size increased by 0.1 GB and I'm hoping this issue was resolved (this size increase may just be coincendental).

Can anyone verify if this issue was resolved?

Given the uncertainties of the iOS bug, the the following scenarios should be investigated:

1) Bad device (e.g. broken screen) updated iOS 9.1 and new backup, followed by restoring to new device with iOS 9.1

2) Old device not available to make new backup, but restoring with old iOS 9.0.x backup to new device with iOS 9.1

I would not recommend anyone risk their current phone's data by performing a backup followed by an erase and restore, thus best candidates would likely be those with a test device, replacement device waiting for the iOS bug fix, etc.

Please let us know your results either way.

Thanks!

iCloud Restore for iPhone 6s - Missing Messages/Recent Calls Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.