Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp (v6): "Can't install software" prompt; Late 2015 iMac with 27" 5K, OS X El Capitan

I want to install Windows on my Mac. I am trying to use Boot Camp to run Windows 10 natively. I will not be using a virtual machine (No Virtual Box, no VMWare, no Parallels).

Model: Late 2015 iMac with 27" 5K Retina screen

Operatin System: OS X El Capitan

Boot Camp Assistant Version: 6.0.1 (522)

Storage: 3TB Fusion

The following are links to problems I am NOT describing. Please review them before answering.

Impossible install windows 10 in imac 5k in boot camp assist.

Boot camp 6 error message 'can't download a software because of network problem'

can't download the software because of a network problem

Below is a description of the problem I am experiencing, with screen shots of each step in the process.

These are the instructions for using Boot Camp: How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support The problem I am experiencing is between steps 3 and 4.

Boot Camp Assistant says it can't download the support software. This is shown in the last screen shot in the following set. The following screen shots illustrate the steps I go through and what I see on my screen.

User uploaded file

Figure 1. Open Boot Camp Assistant

User uploaded file

Figure 2. Select partition size and .iso image (does not prompt any other screen prior this, or any other options whatsoever)

User uploaded file

Figure 3. I do that.

User uploaded file

Figure 4. Download appears to begin. I don't know where this is downloading to. It doesn't make a difference whether or not I have a USB drive plugged in.

User uploaded file

Figure 5. No indication of download success/failure, network/connection status, just "Can't install the software."

User uploaded file

Figure 6. This is from my screen share with Apple customer support. Note that the partitions are intact. Boot Camp did not partition my hard drive.

User uploaded file

Figure 7. I tired downloading it separately, before running the installer, but Boot Camp attempts to download the software again anyway.

User uploaded file

Figure 8. Apple Support sent me a link to download the support software. Note that the support software is v5.1.5621 and Boot Camp is v6.0.1. I have copied the files within the BootCamp5.1.5621 folder to a USB drive and restarted Boot Camp (see Figure 1) with the same results. Again, no option other than that shown in Figure 2 was ever available.

Other Symptoms:

This problem happens with or without the USB plugged in.

If the USB is plugged in, the problem happens whether or not it is formatted as FAT.

If the USB is plugged in, the problem happens whether or not the USB partition table is MBR, protected MBR on GPT, or GPT.

These have all been verified.

To be clear, the hard drive is not partitioned, Windows is not installed, and I am not experiencing driver issues because I cannot experience driver issues - there is no Windows partition or OS to cause driver issues.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2016 3:28 PM

1. Your iMac5K does not need a USB, disconnect it.

2. Disconnect all other external storage. Do not connect any external storage till after Windows is fully installed and BC drivers are in place.

3. Run SMC/NVRAM Reset

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

4. Disconnect from the network physically on the first screen where you choose the BC partition to start the installation process. Do not physically/wirelessly connect to any network till after BC drivers are installed and a Windows System Restore point has been created. This will save you from a lot of pain and grief.

5. Windows 10 cannot use any BC 5.x drivers.

Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp173b3bf2 or further details.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2016 3:28 PM in response to vgandari

1. Your iMac5K does not need a USB, disconnect it.

2. Disconnect all other external storage. Do not connect any external storage till after Windows is fully installed and BC drivers are in place.

3. Run SMC/NVRAM Reset

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

4. Disconnect from the network physically on the first screen where you choose the BC partition to start the installation process. Do not physically/wirelessly connect to any network till after BC drivers are installed and a Windows System Restore point has been created. This will save you from a lot of pain and grief.

5. Windows 10 cannot use any BC 5.x drivers.

Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp173b3bf2 or further details.

Feb 19, 2016 5:55 PM in response to vgandari

Solution: Upgrade to OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

When writing this post, there was a dropdown for which OS I am running. I was using OS X 10.11.2 and 10.11.3 is available. I downloaded the software update and Boot Camp ran with no issues. I had to try a couple of times though because the Windows installer didn't work the first time, but that's not an Apple issue, that's a Windows issue.

Feb 21, 2016 7:54 AM in response to vgandari

How do I get the version of bootcamp that you have, mine does not have the top option where it asks for an iso...

I am fully updated.. el capitan

my bootcamp has 2 options since i upgraded way back from lion...

1. download latest windows support/drivers

2. install windows 7 or later

no other options..

mac not liking anything I stick into the built in optical drive

about to craigslist this POS

Boot Camp (v6): "Can't install software" prompt; Late 2015 iMac with 27" 5K, OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.