Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi drops when phone is locked after 10.3.3 update

Wifi drops when phone is locked or goes to idle and reconnect when screen is on.

This happens after the last ios update.

Model :iphone 5.

iPhone 5, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 4:32 AM

263 replies

Dec 27, 2017 6:52 AM in response to KiltedTim

How many times does it need to be said? The word "bug" can be used informally to describe any stupid or inconvenient or brainless or troublesome feature, even if "that's how it's supposed to work."

For example, in one of the recent iOS updates, the keyboard now disappears when you use the microphone feature to dictate a text (see image below). It's replaced with a barren area that occupies nearly one-half of the usable screen area. An area that is unused and useless. What that blank, barren area replaced was...the keyboard. So, if you dictate something and then have to go in and edit part of it (as is almost always the case with dictation and Siri), you have to first bring back the keyboard that used to be in the area that is now blank and barren.

THAT is asinine. THAT is a bug. And, that is "how it's supposed to work." It's a manifestly stupid design change, one Apple did deliberately. So, technically it's not a "bug." But it's such a stupid change that it deserves to be called a "bug."

Informally, of course.

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2017 6:03 AM in response to kollamraku

If you tried everything then

You can get your device serviced by contacting Apple Support, or by visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider next to your place:

Start a service request: http://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action?locale=en_US&caller=sfaq& PRKEYS=PF9

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider: https://locate.apple.com/us/en/

Make an Apple Store appointment: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Contact via phone: https://support.apple.com/HT201232

Contact your carrier: https://support.apple.com/contact

Sep 5, 2017 8:50 AM in response to kollamraku

From the publicly available Apple iOS developers library - https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPho neOSProgrammingGuide/PerformanceTips/Per…

Using Wi-Fi

If your app accesses the network using the Wi-Fi radios, you must notify the system of that fact by including the

UIRequiresPersistentWiFi
key in the app’s
Info.plist
file. The inclusion of this key lets the system know that it should display the network selection dialog if it detects any active Wi-Fi hot spots. It also lets the system know that it should not attempt to shut down the Wi-Fi hardware while your app is running.

To prevent the Wi-Fi hardware from using too much power, iOS has a built-in timer that turns off the hardware completely after 30 minutes if no running app has requested its use through the

UIRequiresPersistentWiFi
key. If the user launches an app that includes the key, iOS effectively disables the timer for the duration of the app’s life cycle. As soon as that app quits or is suspended, however, the system reenables the timer.

Note: Note that even when

UIRequiresPersistentWiFi
has a value of
true
, it has no effect when the device is idle (that is, screen-locked). The app is considered inactive, and although it may function on some levels, it has no Wi-Fi connection.

iOS, on all iOS devices, has always behaved this way. I know that once again, the nay-sayers will simply post back saying the Apple "fan boys" are wrong, and all I can say keep on looking for your fabled fix to what has never been a bug but is the deliberate way iOS has been coded to function.

Nov 27, 2017 6:55 AM in response to dittoheadadt

So it is new with iOS 11? How do you explain these threads, then?

Wifi dropping out after iOS 10

New iPad drops wifi. iOS 10.3.2

Ios9 drops wifi on iphone6

We by is my wifi dropping off after iOS 9.3.5 update?

WiFi disconnected after lock screen (iOS 6)

Wi-Fi drops after iOS 4.2.1

There are a lot more, going back to 2007, and others between these. But it shows that this is not something that happens only with iOS 11.

Jul 31, 2017 2:40 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Saifan Pilot wrote:

I just came back from having a shower, when I pressed the home button iPhone wifi symbol was still visible. So it is true

Nope, not a good test, as WiFi reconnects immediately upon waking. Here's how to do a meaningful test:

• Open a terminal window on your Mac
  • On the phone, go to Settings/WiFi and tap on the i next to your network name and write down the IP address
  • In the terminal window enter "ping <the IP address>" e.g., ping 192.168.1.9
  • You will see each attempt to connect to the iPhone, which will repeat at 1 second intervals forever
  • Now press the SLEEP button. After around 30 seconds the pings will time out.
  • Press the HOME button and they will resume
  • Let the phone go to sleep and they will stop
  • To stop ping press <ctrl>+c

Note that if the phone receives a notification the screen will come on momentarily, and WiFi will turn on for 30 seconds. This is how apps have access to WiFi when they receive a notification; notifications always go over a cellular connection, never WiFi.

If you have a Windows PC the instructions are the same, except you open a cmd window, and the command is "ping /t <IP address>"

The /t is needed to prevent ping from stopping after 20 seconds.

I just repeated this using both 9.5.3 and 10.3.3, with the same results.

Sep 5, 2017 5:27 AM in response to kollamraku

I had this problem too.

Device: iPhone SE iOS 10.3.1

The only solution that worked for me:

(found in Tanaza web site https://www.tanaza.com/blog/wifi-disconnects-sleep-mode-iphone-6s-ios-devices-pr oblem-solved/)

1. Turn wifi on (doesn’t matter if you connect to a wifi network now or later, but the wifi toggle must be on). If your ios device supports mobile data, turn it off for now.
  2. Turn off the device (by keeping the sleep button pressed and then swiping)
  3. Wait 30s
  4. Turn it on
  5. After the home screen loads, reset it (hold the home and sleep buttons down and keep holding until you see the apple logo)
  6. That’s it.

I don't know why, but it worked.

Sep 5, 2017 10:35 AM in response to kollamraku

kollamraku wrote:

Just do the ping test like i suggested and see for yourself.(if you are running on ios10 or later). Seriously I write what i just did. Wifi is not dropping like my affected phone. My phone hardly keep wifi on for 20 seconds. A normal iphone i dont know for how long but it definitely not gonna drop wifi and disconnect from router after 20 seconds. Say what you want. If your phone wifi is dropping after 20 seconds its not a feature. period. No sane programmer will code like that.

Ping test results:

• iPhone 4S, iOS 9.3.5: WiFi drops after 20-30 seconds and stays off unless I wake it
  • iPad 2, iOS 9.3.5: WiFi drops after 20-30 seconds and stays off unless I wake it
  • iPad Air 2, iOS 10.3.3: WiFi drops after 20-30 seconds and stays off unless I wake it
  • iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.3: WiFi drops after 20-30 seconds; comes back on with notifications for 20 seconds, then drops

As a lot of my 260 apps generate notifications, WiFi on the 7 Plus it comes on quite frequently. But it still drops afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017 7:49 AM in response to dittoheadadt

This is not anecdotal. I have been testing it with every iOS release. Nothing has changed. Here is how to actually test it:

• On your phone go to Settings/Wi-Fi and tap on the i next to the network name
  • Write down the IP address
  • On your computer open a Terminal window (Mac) or CMD window (Windows)
  • Enter "ping <the IP address you wrote down>" (Mac) or "ping /t <the IP address you wrote down>" (Windows)
  • Note the phone responding to the ping command
  • Press the SLEEP button
  • Watch as the responses stop after about 30 seconds
  • To stop the pings enter <CTRL>+C.

Every time a major version is released I do this again. The response has never changed in 10 years.

Repeat the test with the phone plugged in; it won't go to sleep. It may wake up for a few seconds if the phone receives a notification such as a Push email alert, which is an external stimulus, but apps that originate communications will not wake it and will use cellular data.

Dec 7, 2017 6:43 AM in response to Silverteem

That demonstrates that the Wi-Fi icon is on. It does NOT demonstrate that Wi-Fi was on when the phone was locked. The real test is to ping the phone when locked and unlocked. I've posted this before, but here it is again:

• Open Settings/Wi-Fi and tap on the i next to the network name
  • Write down the IP address
  • Open a Terminal window in Mac OS (or a CMD window in Windows)
  • Mac: Type "ping <the IP address you wrote down>"
  • Windows: Type ping /t <the IP address you wrote down>"
  • Watch the 1 second repeated pings.
  • Lock the phone. Watch the pings start timing out after 20-30 seconds.
  • Unlock the phone. What the pings restart.

Note that if an external signal is sent to the phone, the pings will resume for a few seconds. But an app on the phone that sends data will not.

Jul 31, 2017 7:08 AM in response to kollamraku

kollamraku wrote:

Wifi drops when phone is locked or goes to idle and reconnect when screen is on.

This happens after the last ios update.

Model :iphone 5.

If the phone is unplugged and operating on battery power this is the expected behavior. Evevry iphone since the initial model in 2007 has functioned that way. When on battery, the wifi radio is powered off when the screen is locked or in sleep mode. Things that require data will then use cellular data.

When plugged in, the wifi radio remains on at all times, regardless of screen state. This is why the iPhine only automatically backs up to iCloud when it is plugged in, connected to a known wifi network and the screen is locked. iCloud backups require wifi.

This behavior has nothing to do with iOS 10.3.3. It has been this way since the first iPhone OS and has been so with all subsequent releases of iOS.

Jul 31, 2017 8:33 AM in response to Michael Black

How can you say its a normal behavior? I dont think you understand what i said. Wifi completely disconnects when iphone is idle. I been using this phone since 2012 and since the last update this issue came. So you are saying wifi is off when goes to idle since 2007 models. Then i wont get any notification when idle. It was working fine until last update. And the issue remains even with charger plugged in.

Wifi drops when phone is locked after 10.3.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.