Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device was identified as stolen and got blocked

Hi! So I recently upgraded to a new phone, giving previous model to my brother. He backed up his phone via iTunes, and for some reason during final set up, device was identified as stolen and got blocked. It said to contact either “cs.blocked@techdata.com” or police station.

I find it weird that Apple would block a device and ask to contact some third party. Also, the device was definitely not stolen, I was the only owner, reset and everything was done correctly.

Has anyone ever encountered similar issues? Any possible solutions to that? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:50 AM

Helloo i have same problem !

Hello techdata! unfortunaly i get my iphone 7 256gb that i purchesed in my country from a reseler that whas sold this phone on internet web page ! i bought it and it was functnali normal until i get to apple store until he is under warranty to see what trouble has with battery comsumption because it was drawing dramaticaly and when i came to apple store in bucharest they told me that is stolen and they blocked ! but until i have come to they the phone was not blocked! when i purrchased this phone it was sealead!!! i have no clue that it was stolen! because i live in Republica Moldova and we dont have an apple store we have to buy this products from the hand or second part person that i dont know! so i am in situation when i pay a lot of money for this phone like a year a go and now i cant do nothing with him! i cant use the appstore and other programs! i can not log in in my apple id! can you please unlock ?? i have only the phone all accesory and the box ! like i said it was in a sealead box! i was first which open the box and activated this device! i dont have a pay check or something like that because it was purchased via internet market like 999.md where people place they sellings ! and all operation are strictly direct ! we meet i saw that it was seal and purchased !! i didt know that i will have this kind of problems! what should we do now? please answer me because in my country this device is very expesive in store and the only way to save some money is to buy on internet!!! My name is ............ ! and i am..... years old ! i bought this device that is a good one for talking with my kids that are faar away from this country and now i can talk with them! hope to somehow resolve my problem! have a good day!

Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Tech Data Corporate Security.

We have opened a support case:

In order to validate you case, can you please send us the serial- or EMEI number(s) of the device(s) that is (are) blocked.

You can find this information on the outside of the packaging of the device(s)

Please do not try to activate or power-on any other Apple device(s) from the same purchase.

We also need the following information:

1. 1. If you received more than one device: Number of devices received with part numbers and EMEI or serials (those can be found on the outside of the boxes)
  2. 2. Website or details of the shop where you procured the device(s)
  3. 3. Copy of the invoice or order-confirmation that you received from the seller of the device(s)
  4. 4. Your full details: name / address / phone / e-mail

We will contact you again afterwards to give you details on the next steps

Best Regards,

Hello!!! i not received i bought it by the real money ! Serial Number:..........IMEI ....... ! I bought thi iphone on the web page www.999.md it a national web page where people are selling and buying stuff ! I dont havce any invoce of order-confirmatiion because it was purchased from a strager person that was selling this phone in my country! My name is ........ my phone number is .........my email is ............. and my adres is ...........

Tech Data Corporate Security.

Dear sir,

The iPhone will remain blocked as it is identified as a stolen device and therefore our property. It should never have been sold to you.

We are very sorry that you became the victim of a fraudster and the inconvenience and financial loss it has caused. Unfortunately, that is the current situation. Our company policy dictates that we will under no circumstances release stolen devices. It is a conflict between seller and buyer in which we don’t take any responsibility. We can only advise to file a police complaint yourself.

The Finnish Police reference for this matter is 5500/R/12694/17 as the original theft was reported to the police

Best regards,

Tech Data Corporate Security

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 2:50 AM in response to tetianad

Helloo i have same problem !

Hello techdata! unfortunaly i get my iphone 7 256gb that i purchesed in my country from a reseler that whas sold this phone on internet web page ! i bought it and it was functnali normal until i get to apple store until he is under warranty to see what trouble has with battery comsumption because it was drawing dramaticaly and when i came to apple store in bucharest they told me that is stolen and they blocked ! but until i have come to they the phone was not blocked! when i purrchased this phone it was sealead!!! i have no clue that it was stolen! because i live in Republica Moldova and we dont have an apple store we have to buy this products from the hand or second part person that i dont know! so i am in situation when i pay a lot of money for this phone like a year a go and now i cant do nothing with him! i cant use the appstore and other programs! i can not log in in my apple id! can you please unlock ?? i have only the phone all accesory and the box ! like i said it was in a sealead box! i was first which open the box and activated this device! i dont have a pay check or something like that because it was purchased via internet market like 999.md where people place they sellings ! and all operation are strictly direct ! we meet i saw that it was seal and purchased !! i didt know that i will have this kind of problems! what should we do now? please answer me because in my country this device is very expesive in store and the only way to save some money is to buy on internet!!! My name is ............ ! and i am..... years old ! i bought this device that is a good one for talking with my kids that are faar away from this country and now i can talk with them! hope to somehow resolve my problem! have a good day!

Dear Sir, Madam,

We have opened a support case:

In order to validate you case, can you please send us the serial- or EMEI number(s) of the device(s) that is (are) blocked.

Please do not try to activate or power-on any other Apple device(s) from the same purchase.

1. 1. If you received more than one device: Number of devices received with part numbers and EMEI or serials (those can be found on the outside of the boxes)
  2. 2. Website or details of the shop where you procured the device(s)
  3. 3. Copy of the invoice or order-confirmation that you received from the seller of the device(s)
  4. 4. Your full details: name / address / phone / e-mail

Best Regards,

Hello!!! i not received i bought it by the real money ! Serial Number:..........IMEI ....... ! I bought thi iphone on the web page www.999.md it a national web page where people are selling and buying stuff ! I dont havce any invoce of order-confirmatiion because it was purchased from a strager person that was selling this phone in my country! My name is ........ my phone number is .........my email is ............. and my adres is ...........

Tech Data Corporate Security.

Dear sir,

The iPhone will remain blocked as it is identified as a stolen device and therefore our property. It should never have been sold to you.

We are very sorry that you became the victim of a fraudster and the inconvenience and financial loss it has caused. Unfortunately, that is the current situation. Our company policy dictates that we will under no circumstances release stolen devices. It is a conflict between seller and buyer in which we don’t take any responsibility. We can only advise to file a police complaint yourself.

The Finnish Police reference for this matter is 5500/R/12694/17 as the original theft was reported to the police

Best regards,

Tech Data Corporate Security

Jan 31, 2018 1:36 AM in response to liv0123

How could it not be properly prepared and what can a reseller do in this case? It was brand new, sealed and with manufacture settings.

I think that this weird TechData might be a problem, because: a) that’s what a blocked screen says (to contact cs.blocked@techdata.con); b) when my brother was setting up the iPhone some weird setting SimpleMDM appeared which required remote control

I’m freaking out cause we don’t have an official Apple support here and other resellers first time come across this issue.

I’m also thankful for you taking the time out in figuring out my issue nevertheless!

Jan 31, 2018 1:40 AM in response to tetianad

That cs.blocked@techdata.com sent me an email:

Dear Sir, Madam,

We have opened a support case

:

1. If you received more than one device: Number of devices received with part numbers and EMEI or serials (those can be found on the outside of the boxes)

2. Website or details of the shop where you procured the device(s)

3. Copy of the invoice or order-confirmation that you received from the seller of the device(s)

4. Your full details: name / address / phone / e-mail

Best Regards,

Tech Data

Corporate Security.

] Sent: den 30 januari 2018 21:32To: (SE) CS Blocked

Subject: My previous iPhone is Blocked

Jan 31, 2018 6:41 PM in response to tetianad

No worries, tetianad ,

This one can be tough on resellers as they get devices in which the past user did not sign out of the device or turn off Find my iPhone, but they don't literally see this nor know the former owner did not follow the proper steps before sending it in.

Thus, an activation lock gets put on the phone.

The response from tech mgmt, who provides services for several large tech companies like Apple, is a great step in you getting this corrected though.

Essentially, they just need credible/valid documentation that you purchased the device. Once they receive that, this proves the device belongs to you and, they can unlock it for you :)

Feb 1, 2018 12:08 AM in response to Philly_Phan

What I don’t get is why this problem occurred only now and not when I bought it and turned on for the first time and backed up with my info? And then there was another time (like a month ago) when I reset to manufacture settings and backed it up with my Mom’s info, and it worked just fine.

I think it’s very unfortunate that all of these things happen right now, almost exactly after a year of usage, when it’s impossible to find a seller and prove that it’s actually mine. And now I’m practically stuck with this forever locked iPhone. :(

I reached out to Apple support who suggested going to authorized distributors for help, which I did before reaching out to them, and all they could tell me is it’s their “first time” seeing problem like this.

Mar 12, 2018 6:58 AM in response to tetianad

Hi tetianad,

It showed then because you restored your phone to factory settings. As a result, this shows either the original owner's Apple ID or in your case, to call Tech Mgmt as they keep files on devices reported as lost, stolen, etc or those that show as such but may not be.

This is a big reason I wait & buy direct from the manufacturer and I refuse to accept refurbished devices.

Device was identified as stolen and got blocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.