Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 returned with shattered screen and no longer working

Has anyone else had problems sending in their iPhone for battery replacement and being told it needs additional repairs? I sent mine in and the third party repair shop said I needed $129 in additional repairs. I declined them saying it wasn’t worth it. They sent back my iPhone 6 with a shattered screen and it also won’t turn on or work. When I sent it in it was working and has a small crack in the upper right hand corner. The one sent back doesn’t even have the original crack but a completely shattered screen in the middle of the screen. What gives? Is this retaliation for turning down the $129 additional repair I didn’t need?

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 7:28 PM

Similar questions

31 replies

Feb 1, 2018 9:07 PM in response to y_p_w

I just think it’s weird that the iPhone I sent in had a one inch crack in the top right corner and the iPhone they sent back is completely shattered in the middle of the screen and no sign of the original crack in the top right corner. Tell me how that happens? Plus the shattered one they sent back had a screen protector on it holding it together. Mine didn’t have one on in the first place User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2018 9:28 PM in response to bkim94558

bkim94558 wrote:

I just think it’s weird that the iPhone I sent in had a one inch crack in the top right corner and the iPhone they sent back is completely shattered in the middle of the screen and no sign of the original crack in the top right corner. Tell me how that happens? Plus the shattered one they sent back had a screen protector on it holding it together. Mine didn’t have one on in the first place User uploaded file

OK. Sounds like that's not your phone. I'd be complaining that they messed up and gave you the wrong phone. You did back up your phone before sending it off - right? However, they were right that Apple's policy that any cracked glass will require the replacement in order to do the battery replacement.

Certainly I understand why someone living an hour away from an Apple Store would choose a closer authorized repair shop. However, I always consider an Apple Store to be the preferred way. I've never been charged just to bring in someone, and several repairs cost nothing as a courtesy. I understand if you've got something simple like a battery or glass replacement, they'll probably charge exactly what Apple will. But anything else - who know?

Feb 1, 2018 8:22 PM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

Apple is frankly not going to do anything about this. Anytime you let a 3rd party shop open your phone, you've lost support from Apple. I can't believe anyone at Apple suggested you go to a 3rd party shop to begin with. Apple has a strict policy of refusing service on any phone serviced by anyone other than Apple. In some countries of course, Apple has authorized service providers if they don't have a physical presence themselves, but by your own admission, you have an Apple store not far from you and you could and should have sent your phone to Apple, when they had a battery available for you. Apple might, if you're really nice and ask for help let you get an out of warranty replacement, but you'd have to not have an attitude and hope they smile on you.

If this shop didn't actually get into the phone or replace the battery, I don't think the OP is really in any different a situation than had it been just dropped. There are no aftermarket parts, and it doesn't sound like they actually managed to open it.

And funny how the OP mentions $129, since that's what Apple will charge for the repair. Most 3rd party repair places try to undercut Apple's prices. I had someone visiting Asia who got an iPad Mini 2 glass repaired for about $15. Not perfect but it was cheaper than the $249 (almost the price of a refurbished one from Apple) that an Apple Store employee said was the accidental replacement cost, and where I bought a new 32 GB one on sale for $300 later on.

iPhone Screen Repair & Replacement - Official Apple Support

Feb 1, 2018 7:50 PM in response to lobsterghost1

The third party shop is the problem I think they’re scammers. The problem with taking it to Apple was that the appointments were at least a week out and there was a replacement battery shortage going on. Also the closest Apple store is an hour away. I was told to send it to this shop by Apple. The screen only had a one inch crack in it. They sent me back a iPhone with a shattered screen and non working iPhone. I’m so ****** at Apple right now about this. Waiting to see what they’re going to do about this situation.

Feb 1, 2018 7:58 PM in response to bkim94558

Apple is frankly not going to do anything about this. Anytime you let a 3rd party shop open your phone, you've lost support from Apple. I can't believe anyone at Apple suggested you go to a 3rd party shop to begin with. Apple has a strict policy of refusing service on any phone serviced by anyone other than Apple. In some countries of course, Apple has authorized service providers if they don't have a physical presence themselves, but by your own admission, you have an Apple store not far from you and you could and should have sent your phone to Apple, when they had a battery available for you. Apple might, if you're really nice and ask for help let you get an out of warranty replacement, but you'd have to not have an attitude and hope they smile on you.

Feb 1, 2018 8:25 PM in response to bkim94558

bkim94558 wrote:

The third party shop is the problem I think they’re scammers. The problem with taking it to Apple was that the appointments were at least a week out and there was a replacement battery shortage going on. Also the closest Apple store is an hour away. I was told to send it to this shop by Apple. The screen only had a one inch crack in it. They sent me back a iPhone with a shattered screen and non working iPhone. I’m so ****** at Apple right now about this. Waiting to see what they’re going to do about this situation.

I've gone to an Apple Store and asked about the issue with broken glass. My wife has a glass sheet protector that cracked a bit but the underlying glass is intact. They said it was fine as long as the original glass was OK. The problem is that the case has to be suctioned apart and then pressed in place via the glass, and if there's a crack it's just going to get worse. Some broken glass is kind of held in place, but won't be with all the stuff needed to pop the front case. If you brought it into an Apple Store with even a small crack in the corner, they probably would have told you that they won't do the battery replacement without a complete glass repair.

You can't really do anything about the appointments now. The issue is unprecedented demand. The vast majority of people getting these batteries don't particularly need one. When Apple started to indicate that passing the diagnostic wasn't a bar to receiving a new battery at this reduced price, that started the floodgates. I've heard that maybe 90% of people coming in have batteries that are passing the diagnostic test, but want a new battery nonetheless since Apple isn't turning them down.

I thought the whole thing about broken glass was because they reserve the right to simply replace a phone (where it's reported that they have actually done that a few times), and that one with broken glass is an additional expense for them when refurbishing. However, reports are that any phone they get that goes to the factory for refurbishing always gets new glass and a new battery.

Feb 1, 2018 8:26 PM in response to y_p_w

It's not completely clear whether the 3rd party provider opened the phone or not. I hope the OP schedules an appointment at the Apple Store Genius bar and asks as nicely as possible for an out of warranty replacement. That would be the best solution they can hope for. It will cost $299, but they'd be getting a fully refurbished phone and a 3 month guarantee to boot.

Feb 1, 2018 9:01 PM in response to lobsterghost1

It was Apple who had me send it to them because they are an Apple authorized repair center. It was from Apple’s own website. Sad to say I’ve learned my lesson from this lousy situation. I’m still going to try to get them to replace this one. The one I sent in was working and a small crack in the screen. The one they sent back doesn’t work and has a completely shattered screen. Definitely not the iPhone I had before they got ahold of it. Crazy sh_t!!!!

Feb 1, 2018 9:07 PM in response to lobsterghost1

post.user_wrote.label:

It's not completely clear whether the 3rd party provider opened the phone or not. I hope the OP schedules an appointment at the Apple Store Genius bar and asks as nicely as possible for an out of warranty replacement. That would be the best solution they can hope for. It will cost $299, but they'd be getting a fully refurbished phone and a 3 month guarantee to boot.

The last time I was at an Apple Store asking about the whole battery thing I mentioned aftermarket parts or repairs. I was told that it's really up to the supervisor to make the call. The way it was explained to me was that they don't want to be responsible for something they can't fix because someone else messed it up. Of course if it doesn't work at all then that's a different situation.

For the OP, did you at least try to plug it in to whatever machine you do your backups? I did that with an iPad Mini 2 that had its glass totally obliterated, the LCD severely cracked, and the home button fallen off from a really nasty impact. It still backs up just fine. The backlight glows white through the LCD cracks. It even shows up on Find My iPhone and responds to the remote alarm. However, if the display is gone, then it's probably going to need the full "repair" replacement cost.

Feb 2, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Briansyddall

Briansyddall wrote:

Hi

If iPhone has been repaired using a 3rd party repair not authorised

Then we or Apple cannot help you Any warranty Or help is void.

Cheers

Brian 🇬-1F1E7;

The OP clarified that this was an AASP. But then it sounds like this wasn’t even the same device returned. Either that, or they replaced the glass and then broke it.

Feb 2, 2018 9:05 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

Make an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar. When you go, keep your frustration and anger in total check and kill them with kindness. Sure, let them know the whole history, calmly, but they simply respond better to people who are calm and appreciative of help. Hopefully, this will have a positive outcome for you.

I don't think I'd ever go an an AASP unless I had no other choice. I don't want to be charged for a diagnosis, and I'd like to go to a place where they're less likely to pass the buck. They certainly won't meet every unreasonable demand from a customer, but I've gotten exception service directly from Apple. I don't think I've every had to pay for anything other than a battery, and one time an "extraction" was done for free when an AASP would have likely charged $50 just to look at it.

Feb 2, 2018 9:12 AM in response to bkim94558

bkim94558 wrote:

It was an Apple authorized repair shop. Apple told me to send it to them. The repairs shop was on their repair website. So puzzled by all of this.

Can you verify that it's your phone? Like I said earlier, I've had otherwise unusable iOS devices (i.e. no working display and home button fell off) still manage to connect to iTunes and back up. If you've done it before and it's a "Trusted Computer" then that should be no problem. If it doesn't then it might not be your phone.

If I'm ever in your position, I think I'll take a picture of my device first before bringing it in for servicing.

Feb 2, 2018 9:32 AM in response to bkim94558

What country are you in? There are no AASPs authorized for repairs on phones in the US.

The screen has to be removed in order to access and change the battery. Although you may have had a small crack in the corner when removing the screen the pressure used can easily cause the crack to spread as glass is prone to do that. This is why Apple will tell you up front that you will have to pay to repair the screen prior to your battery replacement. The 3rd party shop should have done the same. So pay the $129 and get your phone repaired.

iphone 6 returned with shattered screen and no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.