Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove 'stags.bluekai.com' pop up

Anyone know how can i remove 'stags.bluekai.com' pop up from macbook pro. Started appearing over last few days every time i go online. Have never opened it and just keep cancelling but it re appears when opening a new window in safari.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), os x 10.9.5 Mavericks

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 4:01 AM

37 replies

Feb 8, 2018 5:27 AM in response to DMBryant58

This is not a malware or adware issue.

This is a certificate issue associated with visiting eBay in most cases.

To the best of my knowledge and from feedback I received, upgrading macOS resolves the issue.

I am just sharing the information I have.

User uploaded file

https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements

https://support.apple.com/macos/high-sierra

Feb 15, 2018 3:17 PM in response to SonVolt

When you visit sites that host ads, sometimes you get redirected to other sites where the ads are hosted. The certificates used on those sites are supposed to have all the correct host site names so that they can be used for the current URL.

There is a certificate problem somewhere in Bluekai, that has yet to be resolved, that puts up a certificate that does not list the current URL as a possible user of the certificate being proffered. Your Mac objects, and puts up an error box, essentially, "certificate proffered does not match the URL you entered, it may be an imposter site".

This is not a pop-up. Nor is it a problem on your computer. It is a correct indication that there is a certificate issue somewhere in that chain. Bluekai needs to fix broken their certificates before it will go away.

Because the browsers shipped in 10.9.5 work a little differently, the problem shows up more often in 10.9.5. You can get away from it if you decide to run a later browser in a later MacOS. You are Not required to upgrade.

Eventually Bluekai will either fix this problem or go out of business.

Feb 2, 2018 5:05 PM in response to SonVolt

Hi SonVolt,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're seeing a recurring pop-up when using Safari on your MacBook Pro. I can see why you'd reach out for information on stopping this behavior; I'd like to help. First I'd recommend that you close any open Safari windows, then clear Safari history:

Choose History > Clear History, click the pop-up menu, then choose how far back you want your browsing history cleared.

Safari Help - Clear your browsing history

After you've cleared history, quit Safari and relaunch to test for the recurring pop-up. If you continue to see the pop-up return, use this guide to further explore the cause: How to block pop-ups in Safari

Best Regards.

Feb 8, 2018 3:26 AM in response to SonVolt

BlueKai is a service provider to sites like eBay.

This problem affects mainly macOS Mavericks 10.9.5 users.

Upgrading macOS to macOS High Sierra 10.13 will help.

8GB RAM installed will work.

macOS High Sierra technical specifications:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP765?locale=en_US

For checking the compatibility of applications already installed on your Mac: https://roaringapps.com

Note: Newer versions Apple applications may work a little different.

Some older peripherals may not work.

Backup your Mac before installing the upgrade.

Feb 7, 2018 7:19 PM in response to SonVolt

I had the same issue for the last few days, and finally resolved it. I am also running Safari 9.1.3, and was experiencing the issue after visiting eBay. My first obvious approach was to reset Safari, but this did not resolve the issue. My second thought was to see if something snuck into my Chrome browser when I last used it, but nothing was there. Finally I found the best solution thus far, and is pretty simple. In Safari choose > Preferences, then click on the Privacy tab. Under the Privacy tab you will see "cookies and other website data", a few lines lower you will see "details...". Click on "details..." and go see if anything with "Bluekai" label appears in there, if so delete it. After you do that, quit Safari and relaunch.

Feb 8, 2018 2:40 AM in response to SonVolt

Sadly nothing so far has worked. Tried going into Safari>Preferences>Cookies & other website data and Removed All website data but its still there. Noticed that it does not show up when browsing until I visit Ebay and after that it appears with each new window whether in Ebay or not and have seen others on here saying that it seems to be somehow linked to Ebay for them too. Should I maybe be considering upgrading to latest OS?

Feb 8, 2018 4:21 AM in response to dominic23

One cannot upgrade directly from 10.9.5 to High Sierra. Also I don't understand how a simple browser redirect cannot be solved without upgrading to a new OS. It seems that "upgrade OS" is the standard Apple solution to every tech issue now. We really should be able to get a patch for known malware threats (since 2015) without full OS upgrades.

Furthermore, malware solutions notwithstanding, no OS upgrade has ever resulted in increased performance on any machine i've owned since 1986. I don't really understand why Apple insists on promoting upgrades. If my machine is running fine why do they care what OS I have? Unless they are trying to prompt me to buy new hardware...

Feb 8, 2018 5:34 AM in response to dominic23

Ok, so if this is simply a "certificate" issue then why do we need to upgrade to new OS? Can't Apple supply a fix to resolve a certificate issue? It seems however like Blueakai is trying to redirect to a site that cannot be certified. Either way, it doesn't seem like upgrading is the simplest fix anyone but Apple.

I have a 2011 MacBookPro that runs perfectly fine except that it keeps getting slower with every OS upgrade. It seems to me that running a browser should require very few resources yet every time I upgrade safari slows down.

Of course there is another fix, its called Firefox...

Feb 9, 2018 9:44 PM in response to dominic23

I found a partial solution. Installing and using the privacy extension Disconnect, the drop down box stops appearing.

Certain websites consistently cause the drop down, for example a certain site that mainly concerns Mac rumors. When using Disconnect, it does show that it is blocking a connection to BlueKai.

Upgrading the OS is not an option for me due to the extensive software and hardware I am using. Clearing cookies does not fix this issue. This obviously just recently cropped up, and seemingly could just be fixed properly if BlueKai sorted out their certificate.

Feb 10, 2018 6:02 AM in response to SonVolt

Yes, me too. It's only started happening in the past week, and seems to be more closely associated with eBay than anything else; however it's the prevalence of it on other random sites that's the most annoying thing.

I'm running Mavericks AND DO NOT WISH TO UPGRADE. (Do NOT suggest this as the 'only solution'). I prefer Safari to other browsers but will switch to Chrome or Firefox if this is not resolved. It's very very annoying.

A temporary fix is to Empty Caches which seems to work until I visit eBay.

how to remove 'stags.bluekai.com' pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.