Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k Split Green/Red Screen

Hello Community!

I have a problem with the Apple TV 4k and HEVC encoding at 2160p. When trying to play the video, my TV shows a split (side by side) screen with only Red and Green colors. What is weird, is that the progress bar on the bottom is able to display the preview of the video as it should be as you can see in the photo below:

User uploaded file

I've tried different encodes (Peak 30 frame rate, 10Bit,etc...) all as testers but all have shown the same results. I've also tried H264 encodes with 5.1 profile and same issue. At first I thought cables, so I swapped out for HDMI 2.0 certified cables (3 different ones from different manufacturers), but same results. I then wondered if it was the TV (Samsung 4k 2017 model year) and went through and enabled HDR on all the ports but still same results. I tossed the video onto my Roku Ultra using the same cables and the same ports on the TV and that same video plays perfectly. This leads me to think the Apple TV is the bad apple in this bunch. I've added the video to iTunes, and the video plays fine within iTunes on my computer.

I've encoded it using Handbrake nightly to get the hvc1 ID that Apple requires. Video details are below. Everything I've read so far leads me to believe that the Apple TV 4k should play this file no sweat...

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID : mp42 (isom/iso2/mp41)

File size : 6.15 GiB

Duration : 2 h 9 min

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 6 825 kb/s

Format : HEVC

Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding

Format profile : Main@L5@Main

Codec ID : hvc1

Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding

Duration : 2 h 9 min

Bit rate : 5 918 kb/s

Width : 3 840 pixels

Height : 1 600 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1

Frame rate mode : Variable

Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Minimum frame rate : 23.974 FPS

Maximum frame rate : 23.981 FPS

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.040

Stream size : 5.34 GiB (87%)

Any thoughts on this? Anything I may be missing?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 4:30 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 19, 2018 12:24 PM in response to ndben

I have the same Problem:

(how did you get the codec details? how can I get the same Informations like you. Can you tell me the Name of the App, or the Terminal instruction to get these informations. I used VLC for this following informations:)

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1)

Typ: Video

Videoauflösung: 1920x1080

Pufferabmessungen: 1920x1088

Bildwiederholrate: 23.976024

Decodiertes Format

Ausrichtung: Oben links

Grundfarben: ITU-R BT.2020

Farbübertragungsfunktion: SMPTE ST2084

Farbraum: ITU-R BT.2020 Bereich

Farbsättigungslage: Links

Stream1:
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Sprache: Deutsch

Typ: Audio

Kanäle: 3F2R/LFE

Abtastrate: 48000 Hz

Bits pro Sample: 32

Stream2:

Codec: MPEG AAV Audio (mp4a)

Sprache: Englisch

Beschreibung: Surround

Typ: Audio

Abtastrate: 48000 Hz

Bits pro Sample: 16

Stream 3:

Codec: tx3g

Sprache: Englisch

Typ: Untertitel

Feb 24, 2018 10:29 AM in response to Clamsy

I used a program called MediaInfo, you can grab it from mediaarea.net/en/mediainfo. Once installed, you right click on the video and then select it. From there it displays the relevant information.

I got digging deeper, and I think the problem relates more to Handbrake as my source was HDR. Handbrake doesn't yet support HDR processing, so I'm thinking this is where the break is. It plays fine on my computer, but the AppleTV isn't capable of decoding it as well.

If I choose a non-HDR source, and run through the same steps, AppleTV seems to play it fine.

Apple TV 4k Split Green/Red Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.