Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod MAC address determination

Hi,

I just received my HomePod device and I cannot connect it to the network as I require to determine its MAC address (network address) in order to add it as trusted device to the network first.

I am offered to connect either by a WPA2 Enterprise (802.1x) or a not encrypted network. However, in both cases, the MAC address has to be first determined and supplied to a web form to enable the device any access.

As for now, I called Apple support and received the answer that other people have a similar setup and they do not (yet) know how to determine the MAC address. Until then, I am stuck with a HomePod unable to perform the setup process.

Does anyone of you know how to determine the MAC address?

What I tried so far:

1) AirPort Utility app on mac and iOS: do not show the HomePod device.

2) KisMac app on mac: does not show the HomePod device.

3) Wireless diagnostics app on mac: does not show the HomePod device.

Cheers from the UK

HomePod, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Feb 9, 2018 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2018 5:33 PM

I’m guessing the only “official” way is to connect to a device that logs or displays the MAC address of the connecting device. Most Wi-Fi routers do, as do most phones and tablets that offer hotspot capabilities. The cool thing is, you can pick up a super cheap old-school Wi-Fi router for $20 these days. Plenty of workarounds but no apparent way to get it to report its MAC address verbally or otherwise. Yet. You can also report this to feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/homepod.html

It would be trivial for Apple to add a special hot key or Siri code: “Hey Siri, what is your MAC address?” Or maybe display it in the app during initial connection?

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2018 5:33 PM in response to OkItsOlivia

I’m guessing the only “official” way is to connect to a device that logs or displays the MAC address of the connecting device. Most Wi-Fi routers do, as do most phones and tablets that offer hotspot capabilities. The cool thing is, you can pick up a super cheap old-school Wi-Fi router for $20 these days. Plenty of workarounds but no apparent way to get it to report its MAC address verbally or otherwise. Yet. You can also report this to feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/homepod.html

It would be trivial for Apple to add a special hot key or Siri code: “Hey Siri, what is your MAC address?” Or maybe display it in the app during initial connection?

Feb 9, 2018 1:32 PM in response to blizzfire

Alright this is what I did, my university wifi has MAC address filtering, therefore, you need to find the MAC adress of the HomePod and tell your Uni to add it in, in order to bypass the setup process.

The way to find MAC of HomePod is

1. Make sure HomePod is ready to be pair (If not reset it first)

2. Connect your iOS device to a wifi hotspot sharing by an android phone

3. Once your iPhone/iPad is connected starting the pairing process with HomePod

4. The setup should complete -> On the android device look under list of device that's connecting to it

5. You should see "HomePod" press on it, It will show you the MAC address

6. Tell your network provider to add this MAC address

7. Remove HomePod from your Homekit app

8. Manually reset the HomePod

9. Connect your iPhone/iPad to the Wifi you prefer in the first place

10. Now start to pair with HomePod

Hope this help. it works for me

Feb 10, 2018 10:05 AM in response to blizzfire

I know you already solved it but in case anyone else is running into the same issue, this is what worked for me (similar to what other people tried). Alternatively, you could setup a Genius Bar appointment and have them setup your HomePod on their wifi network with your phone and they can find your MAC address by running a scan on their client list (this is what the Apple Support technician recommended before I got impatient and solved it myself).

1. Download Network Scanner onto MacBook from the App Store (it's free)

2. Make wifi hotspot with someone else's phone (used my gf's iPhone)

3. Connect MacBook and your iPhone to the hotspot

4. Plug in HomePod and complete setup with HomePod with your iPhone

5. Run scan on Network Scanner, it should labeled "Living Room" or whatever location you assigned the HomePod, MAC address should be listed and write it down

6. Remove HomePod from the Home app by pressing "Remove Accessory" within the HomePod screen in Home app

6. Turn off hotspot and reconnect your devices to the intended wifi network

7. Add MAC address to your account/contact admin to add MAC address to the intended wifi network

8. Reset HomePod by unplugging it, replug, and then then press and hold touchscreen on top of HomePod until it turns red and you hear three beeps

9. Repeat HomePod setup with your iPhone

10. Enjoy HomePod!

Feb 9, 2018 7:28 AM in response to blizzfire

HomePod doesn’t support captive or subscription networks. If you set up HomePod to use one of these networks, you’ll need to reset HomePod and set it up again on a different Wi-Fi network.

If HomePod isn't responding - Apple Support

You may need to setup the HomePod on a network without MAC registration first on order to obtain the MAC address ( Similar to Apple TV 4 on first release ). Not 100% if it will show in Home App after setup like other HomeKit devices. Some HomeKit devices do not display MAC ID in the Home App even after setup which might be the case.

Feb 9, 2018 7:19 PM in response to blizzfire

I had the same question - here's how I got my HomePod's MAC Address.

1. Turn off MAC Address Filtering temporarily.
  2. Open the program, LanScan (Free in the Mac App Store).
  3. Scan your network and whatever you named your HomePod is how it will display in the program with the MAC Address included.
  4. Enter the address and turn filtering back on.

I hope that helps.

Feb 9, 2018 9:22 PM in response to blizzfire

Hi

I registered a call with Apple last night and was told its a new device and training has been limited. The guys were great on the phone and really tried to help. They put me through to second level support and he promised to call me back tonight with a proper answer.

For now I switched mac address filtering off on my airport, connected the homepods normally then used the airport utility to find the homepod's mac address ie:

• open airport utility
  • click once on the airport device icon, it will display the edit button and a list of connected devices
  • single click on the homepod in the connected devices list, and it will give you various bits of info on the related device - including the mac address.

Other than this oversight the device is working a treat, audio quality is fantastic for a smart speaker, Even my anti-technology wife is using them! Looking forward to Airplay 2 so I can put them in stereo/pair them and test them out. Hopefully Apple will now put the gas down and expand Siri's capabilities.

Jim

Feb 9, 2018 9:33 AM in response to blizzfire

They used to put MAC addressed of some devices on the box, but may no longer do so.

These are basic things Apple should think of.

If you can't find it, can you briefly disable MAC address filtering on the router, then find connected devices in the router config pages, then re-enable the MAC address filtering and add the HomePod.

Don't suppose the HomePod shows up on an iOS device under General>About>HomePod?

Feb 9, 2018 12:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

in my case I am not able to access the router settings as it is managed by a company.

I was finally able to connect and setup the homepod by connecting my iPhone via USB to my mac and sharing the internet of the iPhone via USB and opening a internet sharing on my mac via WLAN and then connecting to that WLAN using my iPhone. Really weird, I know, but I couldn't come up with another solution using the devices at hand.

Then, I was able to setup the homepod using my iOS device and see it as described by another user above using the Debookee network tool scanning the wifi. It is indeed named like selected during the setup, e.g., "Living Room". Copy/pasting the MAC address from there to the web form of the internet service provider enabled the homepod access to the network. Of course, I had to reset it and set it up again to connect it to that network.

As of now, I am able to play music from my iPhone to the homepod but not from the apple tv or mac to the homepod. I made sure that all are setup using the same apple credential and connected to the same network. No luck there. Maybe an issue with the WLAN router. I'll try again when my airport extreme arrives.

Cheers and good luck!

Feb 9, 2018 6:42 PM in response to turingtest2

That linked article sort of has a point but not really. There are many legitimate reasons for using MAC addresses and Apple should realise that manyusers MUST know MAC addresses to connect to WiFi. In the case of my network we have Layer 7 rules for streaming content. A lot of content from new MAC addresses appearing on the network are blocked by default until we can se exceptions.

I purchased six Homepods and made the mistake of unboxing them and connecting all of them to power before I realised there was no way to get the MAC addresses. Now through ANOTHER (repeatable) glitch in the Apple Home app all six have been given the same default name and there is no way I can find to identify them either via the Home app (which has VERY rudimentary Homepod support and is apparently the only Apple app that "knows" anything at all about these speakers) or via the Meraki dashboard for our network. They all show up in Meraki as iOS devices named "Bedroom" (which is not the name _I_ gave them during setup). I had to ask our sysadmin to set up a special rule to allow them to connect, and now I'm sitting here blocking and unblocking them one at a time to crudely figure out which is which. Lame, Apple, really lame.

If anyone has a solution for retrieving the MAC address that does not involve painful processes like setting the Homepods up on an Android hotspot I'd sure like to know that solution.

Feb 10, 2018 1:33 AM in response to dlo

dlo wrote:

No MAC address on the Homepod boxes. I even tried scanning a couple tiny unlabeled barcodes with a laser scanner but they aren't MAC addresses.

No, the HomePods don't show up under General>about.

This is a real oversight - it would hardly be difficult to have the MAC address on the box, on the HomePod base plate or somewhere on the iOS device used to set it up - MAC address filtering is not an 'enterprise' solution when most home routers allow you to do so even if the majority of users don't bother. Anyhow the network is not the issue but Apple's failure to provide easy access o the MAC address is.

Feb 10, 2018 9:03 PM in response to blizzfire

And I know this is "cart before the horse" but my DHCP server records all the MAC addresses and the IP addresses they give out:

Feb 10 23:59:32 hostname dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.33.245 from d4:90:9c:ab:cd:ef (HomePod) via eth0
Feb 10 23:59:32 hostname dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.33.245 to d4:90:9c:ab:cd:ef (Belladonna) via eth0

For devices where I don't know the MAC address before I turn it on, I usually have the device connect first, verify the MAC address, and then create a static IP binding to that MAC (hardware) address. Makes life easier for trying to talk to things like servers, printers and the like.

But yeah, for your type of situation where you don't know the MAC address, and you need to specify the MAC address beforehand, otherwise, the new device can't connect...you'd need to use that workaround you used. I saw a lot of good ideas! Me, I'd probably just disable the MAC address filtering, let it connect, check the logs, add the MAC address, reboot the Wi-Fi, and then let the new device connect.

Hope that helps a little?

P.S. Your post reminded me to issue a static IP for my HomePod! 😁

HomePod MAC address determination

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.