Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X wifi issues

I've got this new iPhone X since November 7th. From day one, Wifi would toggle on and off causing phone to not respond to commands once every 3 days or so. This has been happening more frequently now than before. It used to happen once every 3 days and I'd have to try the hardest (phone was very slow responding to commands when it happens) to power the phone off and power it back up again. It would then act normal for another 2 - 3 days. This is annoying now as it happens once every 24 hours or so. I've tried everything including resetting the phone, restoring it from backup, etc. This, I now honestly believe, is a hardware issue, similar to the wifi button grayed out issue with iPhone 4. I have had almost every generation of iPhones and they are generally reliable but now this is getting very annoying. My wife has the same exact phone and it does not give her the same issues. Will Apple please look into this and help me resolve this sooner than later please. Thank you.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.5, 256G

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 3:36 PM

Similar questions

80 replies

Jun 20, 2018 7:30 AM in response to cr4dle

That is a totally different issue than the subject of this thread. With iOS 11 the button in the control panel no longer toggles Wi-Fi. Instead, it disconnects from the current network but leaves Wi-Fi enabled. A very useful feature that I use daily. See: Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11 - Apple Support for more information

But have no fear, there are still FOUR ways to turn Wi-Fi on and off:

• Settings/Wi-Fi: OFF
  • "Hey Siri, turn off Wi-Fi"
  • Hold the HOME button: "Turn off Wi-Fi"
  • Press on the Settings icon and tap Wi-Fi on the pop-up menu

User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2018 7:25 PM in response to ManoloBurbankCA

I was on the phone with Apple Support two days ago and had a lengthy discussion. They did not have an answer for me except sending me to my local Apple Store. I went yesterday and the tech said to do a firmware wipe and reset which was done at the store. Today, after 24 hours, the problem recurs. I firmly believe it is a hardware issue; it is more than likely a faulty WiFi module. The tech did say yesterday and notated in my case file that if the firmware reset did not do the trick, he was to replace a new phone for me for free. I’ll see him either tomorrow or Sunday. I’ll report back if a new phone has been given to me for my faulty phone.

Feb 24, 2018 3:55 PM in response to TonyFremont

I went to the Genius Bar at the Apple store and thank goodness I got an employee who knew his stuff! I let him know about the whole issue I was having with my WIFI at home and how I was trying the WIFI at the apple store and I was not having any issues like I have at home.

The first thing he asked me was what kind of router I had (I have Uverse Internet so ATT provided me with their router), he said there are two WIFI frequencies you router broadcasts and did I know which one I was connected to? I said I have no clue, I just sign in to my WIFI network name and put in the password.

He said your router has two WIFI frequencies, one is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The iPhone X is the first iPhone that has to use 5GHz frequency (if it uses the 2.4 GHz frequency, it will work but cause it to drop, but the phone stays connected to that radio frequency). He ran a diagnostic on my iPhone and said my phone is fine. He asked if my WIFI network name was the same or different name regarding 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I checked my router's info, and it has the same name. He said I would have to name the 5 GHz different from the 2.4 GHz cause my iPhone connects to the first available network (2.4 GHz - since both frequencies were named the same thing, I couldn't tell which one it was connecting to). I renamed my 5 GHz and up until this point, everything is working fine and have had no WIFI dropping issue with my iPhone!

I told them that guy who helped me out deserves a **** bonus!!! I hope you guys understood what I am saying, if not let me know, I will try to explain it better.

But this should RESOLVE the issues we are experiencing with WIF dropping.

Feb 23, 2018 6:51 PM in response to TonyFremont

I have been having the same issue with my iPhone X with wifi at home! I have done everything, restarting the network settings and it is still happening. I was on with Apple support 3 weeks ago and they said it was probably my home network and to contact my internet provider, I was like, it's not my internet, it's your phone cause I use to have an android and never had any issue with the same router I use at home!!! No wifi issues at all!!

Feb 24, 2018 7:46 PM in response to ManoloBurbankCA

I’m glad your issue is resolved but clearly your issue is different than mine. What I’m experiencing is not isolated at home. It is also not a 2.4g and 5g router issue as I have them separated for my home router. It is a WiFi issue that only happens after 24 hours (used to be anywhere between 48 - 72 hours) of this iPhone unit being powered on. My wife has an identical model and it does not happen to her phone. When it acts up, it would rapidly toggle between connected to WiFi and not connected to WiFi cousing the phone to be extremely slowly responding to commands almost in a frozen state. This would not be cured until the phone is powered off an powered back on again. Then it is back to normal until 24 hours or so later. It happened to me when I traveled to China, Japan, connected to different WiFi networks. If anyone has similar issues, they should reference what I’ve documented here in this discussion thread.

Mar 19, 2018 10:27 AM in response to TonyFremont

Apple has finally swapped a new phone for me. They assured me it is not a refurbished phone that they gave me for my old iPhone X that has these wifi toggling problems. I have had the new phone for a few days and then the issue resurfaced. Same exact problem. Only this time the problem is more serious. One time it caused the screen to black out completely. I tried all sorts of buttons and it would take selfies and make sounds and Siri even comes on only with the screen completely blacked out. So what I did was wiping the phone again and setting it up as a new phone. It's been about 48 hours and so far so good. I'll continue to report back with updates.

Mar 20, 2018 6:14 AM in response to TonyFremont

Did you manage to resolve this issue? I have exactly the same thing, happens constantly that it says connected to wifi and it is not connected. It shows wifi as off in settings while it is on on when you do the pull over settings menu. You try to turn it on and then it turns off again. I did a reset, now reset network settings, it is a hopeless affair. I thought it was an app, but now I'm more thinking of a faulty chip. A friend of mine has exactly the same while the phone is working fine for others. What did you tell the genius providers? I'm afraid that I will go there and it will be one of the rare instances that it actually works...

Mar 28, 2018 6:38 PM in response to TonyFremont

I've had the same exact problem and it drove me mad. I changed network settings, restored from back up etc. and eventually got it changed for a new one at the Apple Store last Friday. It just finished restoring from the iCloud back up and seems to be a bit better but its early days. Yesterday it was kept freezing when I was using wifi and then went straight to the web page as soon as I turned it off. This is what kept happening with the old phone. I am not impressed - especially given how much this phone cost. I have had most of the iPhones and did not have this problem on my iPhone 7 plus. My daughter did not upgrade her phone this year and kept last year's iPhone 7 plus but has kept up to date with the iOS updates. Strangely she has not had this problem so maybe its the phone.

Mar 29, 2018 12:11 AM in response to rdcozier

It has to do with apps, I had the exact same problem with the new iphone X I got. I went through all of my apps and deleted everything I didn’t use frequently. And now the phone is working normal again. I don’t know which app/combination of apps was causing it, I wasn’t patient enough to test my wifi after every app deletion

Mar 29, 2018 11:41 AM in response to addieco

Can you please describe the exact symptoms of your Wi-Fi issues before you deleted apps? Thank you. My issue has been normal working Wi-Fi suddenly turning into toggle mode (between connected Wi-Fi and disconnected Wi-Fi very rapidly) which makes the phone freeze. One time the freeze led to a complete black screen unresponsive to any buttons but when I had someone dial my black screen phone it would still ring. This issue would repeat after about 24 - 48 hours of normal operation.

Mar 29, 2018 11:43 AM in response to rdcozier

Can you please describe the exact symptoms of your Wi-Fi issues before you got your new replacement phone from Apple? Thank you. My issue has been normal working Wi-Fi suddenly turning into toggle mode (between connected Wi-Fi and disconnected Wi-Fi very rapidly) which makes the phone freeze. One time the freeze led to a complete black screen unresponsive to any buttons but when I had someone dial my black screen phone it would still ring. This issue would repeat after about 24 - 48 hours of normal operation.

Mar 29, 2018 11:51 AM in response to addieco

With the new replacement phone the Wi-Fi toggling issue persisted. So what I did was to wipe everything clean again, started it as a new phone, completely reset all network settings again. And it's been about a week now so far and this Wi-Fi issue seems to have gone away. I now conclude it may be a software issue associated with either an App or some App I had previously installed, or, some sort of settings (mostly likely network settings) issue that were not compatible with iPhone X. It is annoying because I am afraid to restore this phone with the backup I had. So I have lost access to a lot of things I have accumulated over the years. I blame Apple for this because whatever they did with iPhone X apparently caused this as all my previous generations of iPhones did not have this issue. I hope they'd come up with some sort of iOS patch soon to fix this issue. Of course, they'd have to be able to identify the problem first. Well, with smart engineers Apple hires, they should be able to figure this out and isolate the root cause of this problem sooner than later. Only if they read this discuss thread, of course...

iPhone X wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.