Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replacing an airport extreme

I have a new Airport extreme to replace a failing one. What is the easiest way to swap them and reload the configuration without going through a fresh setup?

iMac, OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 6:13 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2018 6:27 PM in response to crhackney83

You might want to consider using the setup option that Apple provides in their setup utility "wizard" to Replace an existing device.

In the example that you see below, it is a new AirPort Express that will replace another device on the network, but you will see an AirPort Extreme pictured on your screen if you decide to use this setup option.

User uploaded file

The Replace an existing device option will transfer all of the settings, names, passwords, etc. on your "old" AirPort Extreme over to your "new" AirPort Extreme and then reset the "old" AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings.

Here I am assuming that your "old" AirPort Extreme is the current "tower" model or one of the previous "flat or square" versions of the AirPort Extreme......and.....that the current AirPort it is still operational on the network.

Post back if you decide to use the Replace option, and you need a few more tips on the setup.

Feb 27, 2018 6:25 PM in response to crhackney83

You will find the option to replace is available.

Plug your new Airport into the old one..

Start the airport utility and the setup wizard.. simply click the options and you will see replace existing router as option..

If I buy a new Airport Extreme can I clone the settings on my current AirPort TimeCapsule?

The other way to do it.. which actually works in almost the same way behind the scenes is to export the configuration on the old extreme.. and replace it with the new extreme and import the configuration.. both export and import are in the top menu of the airport utility.

Here is a set of Bob's instructions.

Help, want to change my actual network configuration from Airport Express to Time Capsule

replacing an airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.