Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Photos for Mac has stopped syncing – ?

On my laptop, Photos for Mac stopped syncing a few moths ago. I haven't been able to figure out why. My iPhone and iPad are still syncing through iCloud.

Any suggestions what could be the matter?

My settings are these:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), (2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM)

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

That even an empty library cannot sync is weird.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 9, 2018 10:17 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

Did this start right after the upgrade to High Sierra? Photos on High Sierra may not be syncing with iCloud, if you are not connected to WiFi but are using Ethernet with a firewall. It will also not update, if you are connected to a shared cellular network.

Mar 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 10:27 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

4 items is the reason - nothing will download until the upload is complete

Items implies that you have something like a PDF or other not image format in your library

Make two new smart albums (file menu ==> new smart album)

1 - Photo - is - referenced

2 - Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud Photo Library

These should both be empty and hopefully #2 will show the 4 items so you can address them

LN

Mar 9, 2018 10:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 10:39 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

You could also have a look at your iCloud webpage at www.icloud.com . Sign in with your AppleID and open the Photos.app. Look at the photos already in iCloud. perhaps you can identify the four items that still need uploading. Frequently this are videos you recently imported.

Mar 9, 2018 10:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 10:59 AM in response to léonie In response to léonie

No, unfortunately not.

I went ahead and unchecked iCloud Photo Library in the preferences and then checked it again. That got rid of most of the photos in the library; there are only 37 left plus one video. Now it says it's updating, but nothing happens. I have Little Snitch's Network Monitor enabled, and it shows no traffic. It's as if Photos doesn't connect to iCloud. (I've tried turning off Little Snitch, and it makes no difference.)

Mar 9, 2018 10:59 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 11:10 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

It definitely seems unable to connect to iCloud. I've tried removing the library file (Photos Library.photoslibrary) and starting from scratch, and it's still stuck at "Updating…".

Mar 9, 2018 11:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 11:11 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

I have Little Snitch's Network Monitor enabled

Critical detail you did not mention - disable Little Snitch and probably everything will sync normally - very often Little Snitch blocks iCloud Photo Library syncs

I went ahead and unchecked iCloud Photo Library in the preferences and then checked it again

That should only have been done as a very last result as it triggered a new total upload of your mac Photos library to iCloud and nothing will download until the new total upload you triggered is finished

In any case you did so now you need to disable LS and hopefully things will sync notmally

LN

Mar 9, 2018 11:11 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 9, 2018 11:30 AM in response to t.kyhn In response to t.kyhn

After disabling Photos in the System Preferences' iCloud section, when I try to enable Photos again, it says:

"iCloud Photo Library is only available on Mac OS Standard and Mac OS Extended formatted volumes."

User uploaded file

Mar 9, 2018 11:30 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: t.kyhn

Question: Photos for Mac has stopped syncing – ?