Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ip address used by another device

I have been using my 3 Apple devices for some years now. Over the last week, I've been getting the error shown on the screen shot.

User uploaded file

My devices are:

• Sierra on MacBook Air IP = 192.168.0.11
  • iPad IP = 192.168.0.15
  • iPhone 8 IP = 192.168.0.10

I am not technical, but I've tried many iterations of changing my MacBook address. I either lose my home wifi connection or the address reverts itself to the .11.

I am also running a Windows Partition, with Parallels, FYI.

How do I fix this?

Dan

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), Running Win10 using Parallels

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 10:37 AM

Your home router is responsible to assign IP addresses to devices connected on the network. It uses a service, called DHCP, to perform this function. In turn, each of your network clients (computers, iPhone, etc.) by default are DHCP clients. When they power-up they make a "call" to your router to request an address. These addresses are dynamic. That is, they change over time. Typically, that's because they "lease" the address from the router. The router is responsible to keep track of both the address it assigns and how much time is left on that lease. Sometimes, a client does not relinquish its address but the router believes its expired and gives the address to another device. This is what I believe is happening your situation.

I would start, by powering down all of your network clients and the router. Then power-up the router, and then, power-up each client one-at-a-time to see if the issue is resolved. Please post back your results.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 10:37 AM in response to SeaLoozie483

Your home router is responsible to assign IP addresses to devices connected on the network. It uses a service, called DHCP, to perform this function. In turn, each of your network clients (computers, iPhone, etc.) by default are DHCP clients. When they power-up they make a "call" to your router to request an address. These addresses are dynamic. That is, they change over time. Typically, that's because they "lease" the address from the router. The router is responsible to keep track of both the address it assigns and how much time is left on that lease. Sometimes, a client does not relinquish its address but the router believes its expired and gives the address to another device. This is what I believe is happening your situation.

I would start, by powering down all of your network clients and the router. Then power-up the router, and then, power-up each client one-at-a-time to see if the issue is resolved. Please post back your results.

ip address used by another device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.