Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not sync photos with ios 11.3 and itunes 12.7.4

I downloaded itunes 12.7.4 and ios 11.3 and now I can not sync my photos to my iphone X, Iphone 8 plus, Ipod Touch or Ipad Pro with my PC running Windows 10. It gets to Step 5 of 6 and just sits there frozen at "Reading Photo's from "Pictures" and will not finish the transfer of the photos to my devices and finish the sync. I did not have a problem until the new operating system was released. Anyone having this issue and is there a fix??

iPhone X, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 9:07 PM

Similar questions

455 replies

Apr 21, 2018 1:06 PM in response to philipp273

I finally broke down and did the downgrade to 12.7.3.46:

• Downloaded 64 bit iTunes 12.7.3.46 from here
  • Uninstalled 12.7.4.80 following instructions.
  • Rebooted PC
  • Installed 12.7.3.46
  • Rebooted PC
  • Renamed \iTunes\iTunes Library.itl to backup name.
  • Copied most recent \iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries\iTunes Library 2018-04-06.itl (your name will differ) to iTunes Library.itl in parent folder
  • Renamed Pictures\iPod Photo Cache folder
  • Rebooted iPad connected to PC
  • Ran iTunes - photo sync started right away
  • Update:
    • iPad photo sync keeps crashing.
    • After rebooting the iPad, it seems to pick up where it left off.

May 21, 2018 7:47 AM in response to vivosullivan

Was successful with this.

DO A BACK UP BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING AND DISCONNECT iPhone FROM YOUR P.C.

Delete all apple programmes in Add-Delete programmes,including.

Apple application support 32 and 64 bit,

Apple mobile device support

Apple software update

Bonjour

iTunes

also Delete : iPod Cache in pictures

then reset iPhone "reset all settings" leave iPhone unplugged,,that is wipe iPhone clean and set up as a new phone.

Once that is done restart iPhone.

Now download iTunes 12.7.3.

• iTunes 12.7.3.46 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2018-01-23)
  • iTunes 12.7.3.46 for Windows (64-bit) - iTunes64Setup.exe (2018-01-2
  • Then after downloading iTunes 12.7.3 sign in to your account and do a backup to your iPhone that you saved,
  • Once done you can do a sync of your photo's and music.
  • I use a windows P.C. not sure if Apple Mac is same procedure.

Apr 8, 2018 6:05 AM in response to VimalGanpat

So until Apple fixes this, here is a workaround: Downgrade to iTunes 12.7.3! It definitely is an iTunes 12.7.4-issue. After downgrading to 12.7.3, everything is working again.

So you have to manually uninstall 12.7.4 and download 12.7.3 from Apple (just google for the version number, you'll find it).

Problem is that you have to go back to an auto-saved iTunes Library file from when you had 12.7.3 installed. So after installing but before starting 12.7.3 you have to first rename the current "iTunes Library.itl" file to something like "iTunes Library 12-7.4.itl" and then go to the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder and take the presumably latest autosaved itl-file and move it one folder up and rename it to "iTunes Library.itl".

(Of course this means that you'll lose all changes you made to your iTunes library since updating to 12.7.4)

Aug 10, 2018 2:26 AM in response to mgrassni

Dear all,

it seems that I have found a workaround how to fix photo sync in windows.

Currently I have iOS 11.4.1 | Windows 10 1803 x64 | iTunes 12.8.0.150 x64 and since months photo sync has not worked. I got the synced folders on my phone but those were empty.

I have changed / adjusted following on windows and now all my photos were synced completely!!

Editing Thumbnail View in Windows Explorer

In Windows Explorer Options remove the checkbox "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

User uploaded file

Source: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/thumbnail-previews-not-showing-windows

2.) Using NOT the default new "Photo-App" in Windows 10. Instead use the "old" one Windows Photo Viewer.

Here is the link how to: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-windows-photo-viewer-back-in-windows-10/

Also I have assigned this to my default viewer for jpg, png and other graphic files.

3.) Change visual effects / thumbnails on windows

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Visual Effects --> ACTIVATE "Show Thumbnails instead of icons"

User uploaded file

Source: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/thumbnail-previews-not-showing-windows

4.) Open every photos folder --> View large Icons

I opened every folder with photos inside (those which were expexted to sync) and changed the view to large icons. With this every photo thumbnail has been created.

5.) After the above steps I started a sync in iTunes again and finally all photos were synced completely!!

So it seems that itunes needs windows thumbnails for syncing all photos!

Finally, after moths!!, I got photos on my iPhone again. Hope this helps someone else!

Regards

Wilhelm

Apr 4, 2018 1:04 PM in response to philipp273

philipp273 wrote:

I don't know why, but people don't seem to read/find the workaround posted in this thread. Maybe it's the forum layout?

Usually it gets worse once a post has been marked as helpful and all other replies are hidden, but that doesn't appear to have happened yet in this thread.

To revert to 12.7.3.46 see the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for download links for recent builds direct from Apple, instructions on removing the current build before you reinstall, and advice on rolling back the iTunes database.

tt2

Apr 4, 2018 9:27 PM in response to mgrassni

This is the link I used (without a problem) to go back to iTunes 12.7.3.

First, be CERTAIN to remove iTunes from your computer in the absolute correct steps or it will cause additional issues. These are the steps to delete iTunes correctly: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

THEN: use the following link to download iTunes 12.7.3

https://www.itechtics.com/download-itunes-12-7-3/

BE SURE you click the correct link according to the computer you have and the software your computer is running!

You will then sync your device to through iTunes 12.7.3 but be sure to back up your important data, photos etc. either on your computer or an external hard drive (which is my method of backup) or the cloud. You don’t want to risk losing everything.

This method didn’t take much time and has since worked for me very well with iOS 11.3.

Best of luck until Apple comes up with a solution!

Apr 5, 2018 6:12 AM in response to seatiki

Downgrading is relatively straightforward, at least on Windows. You would only lose the changes you made to your library since you installed 12.7.4.76.

To revert to 12.7.3.46 see the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for download links for recent builds direct from Apple, instructions on removing the current build before you reinstall, and advice on rolling back the iTunes database.

tt2

Apr 5, 2018 6:46 PM in response to mgrassni

THis is ridiculous, Apple are a bunch of liars. There own website promotes a feature that simply does not work. I am completely unable to sync the photos on my computer, to my iPad via iTunes, it simply crashes, and has done for months now, and is a complete disaster.

Here is apple promoting the feature:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201313

Which states clearly:

Sync your photos manually with iTunes

You can set up iTunes to sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the Photos app, or from a folder on your computer. Each time that you sync your iOS device with iTunes, the photos and videos on your iOS device update to match the albums on your computer. If you have photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that aren't on your computer, follow these steps to import them.

This is absolute rubbish, this doesnt work, hasnt worked for a very long time, and this forum is completely full of these same comments, constantly, hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, and apple still promotes the feature as at today, that hasnt worked and hasnt been fixed, no matter how many posts, bugs and complaints are lodged.

Apple are just a bunch of lying thieves that sell something they cannot provide. Whats worse, nobody from Apple will respond, and no amount of bugs, reports, or information submitted to Apple for nearly a year or more, has gotten this feature fixed.

Liars and thieves.

Apr 12, 2018 4:18 AM in response to Daevo

The current iTunes does synch the photos but fails to add the album folders - I got those back by following ErgoEdbo's method further back in this set of posts. It does involve removing the photos and re-synching them so takes a while depending on how many photos you have on the device. I have 2,700 in albums on mine and it took about 15 minutes.

Turingtest2 posted the following with links to the old iTunes on 5 April so you could try either method to get your photos back into albums.

"Downgrading is relatively straightforward, at least on Windows. You would only lose the changes you made to your library since you installed 12.7.4.76.

tt2"

Apr 12, 2018 8:53 AM in response to ralph7up

You can see the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for the build dates of various versions. The build date might be a day or two ahead of the first appearance on the iTunes download pages, which may again be ahead of any prompt from Apple Software Update. Not every update of iTunes causes the database layout to change, but when it does the old database is copied into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder and marked with the date of the update. Your most recent backup will be associated with the update to 12.7.4.76. The previous library is compatible with iTunes 12.7.0.166 through to 12.7.3.46.

tt2

Apr 14, 2018 10:53 AM in response to Sunshine4a

Roll back to iTunes 12.7.3.46. See the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct download links and advice on reverting to a pre-upgrade copy of your iTunes library. You lose the changes made to the library since you installed 12.7.4.76, but there is also advice on making the library reflect the current content of the media folder.

tt2

Apr 20, 2018 8:09 AM in response to number1jiddo

You can try deleting the iPod Photo Cache folders completely, which includes the folder and all of its content. I've been experiencing the problem and started another thread, I didn't see this one. I've also made multiple reports to the feedback page, including a link to my thread, which described all of the strange behavior that iTunes was displaying, despite removing and reinstalling iTunes more than once. You are welcome to also view my discussion here, iTunes 12.7.4 Photo Sync Issue, Win 7. Hopefully the problem can be identified and resolved soon.

can not sync photos with ios 11.3 and itunes 12.7.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.