Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crossfader not working in iTunes 12.7.4.76

Using iTunes after the most recent update to version 12.7.4.76 the crossfader built into iTunes is not working.

- iTunes being used on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-Inch, Late 2013)

- Processor: 2.3 Ghz intel core i7

- Memory: 16 GB

- macOS ver. 10.13.4

After updating to the new iTunes version the crossfader is no longer working in iTunes. The crossfader is used to transition from one song to another. This is especially a helpful playback tool for workouts as well as many other life objectives.

Contacted Apple Support and was instructed to restart computer. Did that still not working. Was directed to turn off crossfader, exit iTunes. Restart computer and then go in and turn on crossfader and test. Still didn't work. Next steps included going to iTunes.com and installing a fresh copy of iTunes to the computer overwriting the app already on the machine. Still no crossfader options. No matter what we do to the crossfader. Turn off, turn back on, select a different seconds to crossfade, it no longer works. It was working prior to the update. Apple Support Senior Advisor explained that the feature may have been removed however the feature is still in iTunes under Preferences, Playback. Have a look. It's there and it should work. Any help is appreciated on getting this fixed. Support has been fantastic, no doubt about that. Would love to see this resolved easily.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 7:43 AM

Step by step guide to rolling back to 12.7.3 on a Mac.

1. Close iTunes
  2. Install iTunes 12.6.4, but don't run it
  3. Open Home > Music > iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries in Finder, or the relevant folder if library is stored elsewhere.
  4. Locate the file with the date when you updated to 12.7.4, copy it
  5. Go up one level to the iTunes folder and paste
  6. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library NEW.itl
  7. Rename the dated file as iTunes Library.itl
  8. Install iTunes 12.7.3
  9. Open iTunes

Your library should be restored to the exact state it was in when you closed it prior to installing 12.7.4.

tt2

Similar questions

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2018 7:43 AM in response to NatC1

Step by step guide to rolling back to 12.7.3 on a Mac.

1. Close iTunes
  2. Install iTunes 12.6.4, but don't run it
  3. Open Home > Music > iTunes > Previous iTunes Libraries in Finder, or the relevant folder if library is stored elsewhere.
  4. Locate the file with the date when you updated to 12.7.4, copy it
  5. Go up one level to the iTunes folder and paste
  6. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library NEW.itl
  7. Rename the dated file as iTunes Library.itl
  8. Install iTunes 12.7.3
  9. Open iTunes

Your library should be restored to the exact state it was in when you closed it prior to installing 12.7.4.

tt2

Apr 10, 2018 8:45 AM in response to NatC1

To roll back to iTunes 12.7.3.46 on Windows you need to uninstall all Apple components related to iTunes, reboot, then install the older version. You also need to perform similar steps with the .itl file. See the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct download links and other advice on the process.

tt2

Apr 20, 2018 11:01 AM in response to housemac

In Finder you can copy a highlighted file using the menus or by pressing Command+C. When you've gone to the iTunes folder use the menus or Command+V to paste.

However you might want to go to iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple and install iTunes 12.7.4.80 which seems to have this crossfading bug fixed if not some of the others in 12.7.4.76. Obviously undo any change you made to the name of the iTunes Library.itl file that you want to use again now instead of replacing.

tt2

Apr 13, 2018 4:46 PM in response to turingtest2

I took your advice, this time, and left feedback. (I was the one you replied to, recently, about this version still having CD burning issues.) But I was REALLY ANGRY when I then noticed Crossfade no longer works, either!!! Crossfade and the equalizer are what makes playing my library in iTunes an "upgrade" (better sound quality) than playing it from my iPad, iPod or iPhone (all can play over my whole-house Bose speaker system via the Apple Remote app - so I can hear the difference). This is nuts!! And exactly what I meant about Apple iTunes engineers creating another problem (with something that worked "just fine" before) each time they fix iTunes. AARRRGHHH!!!

Apr 17, 2018 8:20 AM in response to ColumbusJohnn

ColumbusJohnn wrote:

Thanks turingtest2. Unfortunately, neither the link to 12.6.4 or to 12.7.3 work any longer. It appears Apple has removed those pages from their site. Any other way to download 12.7.3?

That's odd they both seem to work for me, even if I log out of the site. 😕 They are copies of the direct links on Apple's pages when the version was live and are similar to a collection of links I have for all versions of iTunes 12 for Windows that, to the best of my knowledge, all continue to work.

tt2

Crossfader not working in iTunes 12.7.4.76

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.