Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music skipping on iPhone

The title says it all, really.

Since I've updated my iPhone to iOS 11.3, audio intermittently skips.

It does this with both the native music player and Spotify. Never had it before to this degree, but it's doing it quite frequently now (once every 15-ish minutes or so). Audio files haven't changed and the music appears to play normally in iTunes on my Mac. Any ideas?

Thanks.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 5:51 AM

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I've tried rebooting, resetting, all the usual, but that doesn't seem to cure it. Word is that memory management is better in 11.3 versus some of the previous 11.x versions, so wonder if that has some bearing on why this happens?

Tried listening to music yesterday afternoon and the gap between "skips" seemed to gradually get shorter. It was doing it once or so every ten minutes yesterday. Really quite annoying.

153 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 5:51 AM in response to Mark Turner

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I've tried rebooting, resetting, all the usual, but that doesn't seem to cure it. Word is that memory management is better in 11.3 versus some of the previous 11.x versions, so wonder if that has some bearing on why this happens?

Tried listening to music yesterday afternoon and the gap between "skips" seemed to gradually get shorter. It was doing it once or so every ten minutes yesterday. Really quite annoying.

Apr 11, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Mark Turner

I've been listening to music now for over 5 hours today on podcasts and Google music with both Bose bluetooth headphones and the original apple wired earphone with no interruptions to my music streamed and saved.

A full restore of 11.3 via iTunes will fix the issue. Looks like some bug from the original upgrade which I doubt will be fixed in any future patches.

Apr 23, 2018 8:22 PM in response to Mark Turner

I just reported this to Apple. Hopefully if enough people do, it will get corrected in a future update.

Product Feedback - Apple

Personally I'm going to try to downgrade back to iOS 11.2.5

I have an iPhone 6+.

I just installed iOS 11.3 last night (4/22/2018)

Immediately upon completing the install, I began playing music, then the next day I listened to podcasts. Both the native iPhone apps for each.

The audio would glitch, stutter, skip, make a Cylon sound. And occasionally the audio would cut out completely for 10-15 seconds.

This is a constant problem and has rendered my music/podcast capabilities completely useless.

I'm glad to see this is not just an isolated incident on my phone.

Hopefully with so many having this problem, Apple might actually take it seriously. Since most iPhones double as the primary audio player. And that's one of their largest businesses.

Jul 19, 2018 5:49 PM in response to dimitrism81

Good idea but for me the fix was short lived. It did work for a song or two but eventually my music was back to skipping. Maybe the bug is tied to memory in that it worked at all!

I have another symptom where phone calls will slow down into a deep voice like a vinyl record at 33rpm then speed back up into a normal sounding voice. This happens at least every other phone call, yes during the live call.

I have not tried a full restore yet because what a pain in the *** that will be. Even if you restore from a backup it doesn’t restore apps (have to re-auntheticate all my work apps) and think there are exceptions to saving all your photos:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Sep 6, 2018 11:01 AM in response to Mark Turner

Although there is a chance it is simply a bug only you are having, I have an idea to why this is happening.

1. Are you listening to music through headphones? If so, try another pair of headphones or play the audio through your iPhone’s speaker and see if the problem persists. I have had this problem before with a pair of headphones and it turned out it was the headphones having a faulty remote/mic control.

2. If number 1 didn’t help, make sure you are running the latest public release iOS version (iOS 11.4.1). You can check by heading to Settings > General > Software Update

3. If that didn’t help, I would suggest erasing your phone to factory settings and setting up again. Remember to make an iCloud or iTunes backup first. Details on how to do this can be found here:

Step 1: Backup - How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Step 2: Erase - How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4. As a last resort if all 3 suggested steps didn’t help, the best thing to do would to get on the phone with Apple and schedule a Genius Bar appointment. There is a chance there could be a hardware fault with the device which they would need to repair, or replace your device.

Hope this helps.

Apr 4, 2018 6:46 AM in response to Mark Turner

Yep I have had this problem too since updating. At first I thought it was my BeatsX earphones but it’s doing with other Bluetooth speakers, using wired headphones. I’ve also had other audio problems where it just cuts out for a good 5 or 10 seconds when on the phone or watching video apps like Stan (that one was just once so far but the phone call thing has been at least three times)

I also have noticed that sometimes when my phone screen turns off whatever is playing locks up for a few seconds too before it’ll resume playing.

Really not happy :/

Apr 11, 2018 1:46 AM in response to Mark Turner

Reporting the issue to Apple didn't go very well.

The response I got was to "delete and re-download the apps". The support assistant had completely disregarded the fact that I'd mentioned the issue was in all applications that use audio, including the stock Music Player and Podcast applications, not just Spotify and others.

Hopefully my latest reply will get through.

Apr 11, 2018 7:47 AM in response to Mark Turner

Agreed. My two "support" assistants had wildly varying solutions and neither worked. The first was obviously ridiculous - network carrier settings. When I said that even audio that I had downloaded on my phone and not streaming over wifi or LTE was skipping she didnt understand that so I asked to speak with someone else. The second guy's solution was take it to an Apple Store. As someone with headphones in my ears nearly 12 hours a day, 11.3 is unacceptable.

Apr 11, 2018 9:10 AM in response to MikeG_NY

If that’s the solution then so be it - guess I’ll have to give it a try on the weekend. My personal issue with doing that is having to mess around with all my 2FA stuff haha - last time I restored from a backup it didn’t restore Google Authenticator so I had to scramble around my notebooks for backup codes to like 5 or 6 different accounts and sites

Apr 11, 2018 9:17 AM in response to Mark Turner

Same issue for me. I was listening to new music at first and couldn't figure out if the stutter was intentional, because it happened in a few spots where it almost sounded like it was planned. When I backed it up and listened again, no stutter. It does it every 15 minutes or so. Very annoying. Happened the morning after I did the 11.3 update. C'mon, apple. By the way, I have to use the Marvis app for rating my songs since the native player doesn't allow me to do it anymore. Sheesh!

Music skipping on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.