Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to uninstall iTunes to allow reinstall

I wanted to uninstall iTunes from Apple, and the install iTunes from MS Store.

Reason: rumours that the Apple IT is full of bloatware.

After installing IT from MS Store, I now cannot run any version of iTunes.

Here's the history:

- Uninstall iTunes (IT) using Control Panel.

- Download and install IT from MS Store.

- Click Launch.

- Get message "iPhone driver not installed". Progress bar completes.

- Get message "Driver required for iPhone not installed. Pls check Win Update settings"

- Click Settings > Update & Security > Win Updates

- Get message "Install error 0x8007ffff"

- Go to Device Manager > Portable Devices > Apple iPhone > Update driver

- Get Hex error message as above.

Decide to abandon IT from MS Store and reinstall IT from iTunes64Setup.exe

Get message "One or more computers have installed IT from MS Store. Must uninstall these"

I uninstalled the MS iTunes app using:

Start > PC Settings > Apps > Apps & features > iTunes

I then tried to install the Apple iTunes using iTunes64Setup.exe

This attempt got much further than the initial attempt (above). But just as I was expecting success, I got message: "iTunes installer completed. The installer encountered errors. Please run installer again"

There was no info describing the actual error. I tried a couple of times more.

I would be grateful for any advice. I'm no techie, but I'm comfortable in the registry, if necessary.

Thanks.

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 30, 2018 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 1:35 PM

Success !!

Using Settings, I tried allowing the "unverified" Apple download to proceed. I got same message as before: "iTunes installer completed. The installer encountered errors. Please run installer again". No info about the error.

I tried installing the download as Admin. That worked.

iTunes now recognizes my iPhone.

Thanks for the help.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2018 1:35 PM in response to javaliga

Success !!

Using Settings, I tried allowing the "unverified" Apple download to proceed. I got same message as before: "iTunes installer completed. The installer encountered errors. Please run installer again". No info about the error.

I tried installing the download as Admin. That worked.

iTunes now recognizes my iPhone.

Thanks for the help.

May 30, 2018 6:53 AM in response to OldGrantonian

The general troubleshooting advice when iTunes fails to install properly (and reinstalling or repairing it does not work) is to remove not only iTunes but all related components, reboot, remove the target installation folders and reinstall. See the Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components section in turingtest2's guide at:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

PS: You can also download & install the latest iTunes version directly using the above guide from the iTunes installers section.

May 30, 2018 10:32 AM in response to javaliga

Hi @javaliga. Thanks for the response.

I have completed nearly all the steps in the link that you posted:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#reinstall

I had already done most of the steps from a haphazard set of Apple knowledge base articles. But your link combined all these steps into one document.

I was forced to use Unlocker for some of the Apple Common files. These related to internet resources, despite the fact that I had deliberately disconnected from internet.

I have stopped just before this step:

- Download the iTunes setup file and run it to install.

The reason I stopped is that during my research before posting, I think I saw an article by Apple themselves. I think that the article recommended their own iTunes for Win 7, but the MS Store version for Win 10.

So, I'm making this post first, then I'll see if I can find the earlier article.

Do you - or anybody - have any recommendations? I can get the MS Store version to load, but it can't find the iPhone driver, and fails on all the Windows Updates, and Device Manager updates.

The MS Store version is much faster to load.

Thanks.

May 30, 2018 12:31 PM in response to OldGrantonian

See turingtest2's reply to:

iTunes not available on Microsoft Store

The other replies may also be of some use, but in my opinion, turingtest2 is the PC iTunes guru. He says both versions should be identical. Admittedly I don't use the MS store on win 10, so I can't make an informed recommendation. My gut says to allow the downloaded Apple version to install and then re-enable the MS store setting if you wish.

May 30, 2018 12:17 PM in response to javaliga

@javaliga

Followed your advice. Downloaded iTunes6464Setup.exe

Note the double "6464"

When I double click to install, I get the message: "Your PC settings mean only verified apps from the Store can be installed. Here's a similar app from the Store"

There's a link to "PC Settings". When I open the link, I see "Allow apps from the store only"

I click "Get the app", to see which Store they mean: Apple or Microsoft.

It's definitely Microsoft in the dialog title bar. At the foot of the dialog, it says "This product is installed." The button says "Launch".

On previous occasions (see my OP), if I clicked "Launch", I got the message ""iPhone driver not installed".

What is your advice? Shall I click "Launch", or shall I alter my PC Settings to allow apps from anywhere? (Which presumably would allow your recommended download to be installed.)

Thanks for all your help so far.

Unable to uninstall iTunes to allow reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.