Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone personal hotspot

User uploaded fileFor the last month I have not been able to connect to my personal hotspot on my iPhone X with MacBook Air - both are on latest OS upgrades.

The background for the time (upper left) on the iPhone goes blue which indicates a connection and control centre says I have one connection. On the MacBook the icon for the hotspot on the Wifi selection menu has the link icon on it but there is no internet. The WiFi search animation keeps going until it comes up with an exclamation mark.

One curious thing is that if I turn on personal hotspot discovery in control centre it turns off WiFi. If I turn WiFi back on I get a warning that hotspot users will be disconnected.

control centre looks like this

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 1:49 PM

These are a few sites that I look at frequently and they discuss the issue with regards to Mac's not connecting, so you might find something useful.

Instant Hotspot Not Working on Mac? Here's How to Fix This Issue

Tethering in iOS 11: Fixing Your iPhone's Personal Hotspot Issues

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/12/05/personal-hotspot-not-working-fix/

I would first look at removing the iPhone Network and then try adding again as per below.

User uploaded file

Also Tethering works either wirelessly or cabled (I tend to go usb), so another thought is to try the option you don't usually employ to see if that "kick starts" things going again. Not sure which method requires you to open the iPhone first, but seem to remember I had issue connecting until I unlocked iPhone first, worth a try.

Another idea, I've experienced and also read of glitchy Mac Bluetooth, so it might pay to look in that direction as well, for example go into Bluetooth System Preferences and try removing your iPhone then add it back. Also if you have a portable usb drive connected to the Mac try disconnecting it, it's been reported some can interfere with the computers wireless operation and the permanent cure was to use a longer cable to get the drive out of the way.

Lastly, this discussion may help Bluetooth tethering does not seem to work

Best of luck

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 1:49 PM in response to Todd@Oz

These are a few sites that I look at frequently and they discuss the issue with regards to Mac's not connecting, so you might find something useful.

Instant Hotspot Not Working on Mac? Here's How to Fix This Issue

Tethering in iOS 11: Fixing Your iPhone's Personal Hotspot Issues

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/12/05/personal-hotspot-not-working-fix/

I would first look at removing the iPhone Network and then try adding again as per below.

User uploaded file

Also Tethering works either wirelessly or cabled (I tend to go usb), so another thought is to try the option you don't usually employ to see if that "kick starts" things going again. Not sure which method requires you to open the iPhone first, but seem to remember I had issue connecting until I unlocked iPhone first, worth a try.

Another idea, I've experienced and also read of glitchy Mac Bluetooth, so it might pay to look in that direction as well, for example go into Bluetooth System Preferences and try removing your iPhone then add it back. Also if you have a portable usb drive connected to the Mac try disconnecting it, it's been reported some can interfere with the computers wireless operation and the permanent cure was to use a longer cable to get the drive out of the way.

Lastly, this discussion may help Bluetooth tethering does not seem to work

Best of luck

Jun 6, 2018 12:17 AM in response to Todd@Oz

Can you try another device (iPad for example), that would at least confirm if it's iPhone or Mac related.

If it also occurs with other devices then I would try "Resetting Network Settings" on the iPhone, remember you will have to re-enter any previously stored WiFi passwords so have them available and you might have to confirm "trusted device" again the first time you connect to iTunes.

It's possible I suppose that your Mobile provider is doing something to prevent tethered access, not sure other than calling them to find out.

This article discusses similar issue and might help iPhone 4S personal hotspot "No Internet connection"

If the iPad works then issue points to the Mac and you will need to trouble shoot that side of things, but my guess it's something gone screwy with the iPhones Network Settings.

iphone personal hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.