Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Carplay help- music crackling

I just got a new F150 that has Apple CarPlay. When I am plugged up and listening to music, everything sounds fine. But at some point during my listening, the music skips a second, and when it come back it is crackly sounding. As if an old record was playing and you can hear the cracks in the background. If I unplug my phone, my radio switches over to satellite radio and it sounds just fine. When I plug my phone back in it sounds just fine, until at some point when the music skips and the crackling come see back. This does not happen when using Bluetooth in the truck. I really enjoy using CarPlay, but I can’t deal with the crackling. Worst comes to worst I can use Bluetooth, but i’d really like to be able to use every feature of a truck I just paid $70k for. Very frustrating. Has anybody had this problem and have any tips? I am on the current iOS(11.4). I have tried different cables. Maybe Apple needs to send out a radio update, or another phone update.

Posted on Jun 9, 2018 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2018 11:12 PM

Guys, I have the same problem as you described. The only quick fix I have found is to press the Siri (speak button on your steering wheel equivalent) and press again to cancel. When Siri is brought up and away, it will stop the crackling. This is the fastest way I have found without unplugging the phone.

Similar questions

26 replies

Jun 10, 2018 12:39 PM in response to austinchaynes

Exactly the same problem here as of a couple weeks ago. CarPlay worked fine for a year. Was on 11.3 when it started, went up to 11.4 and problem is still there. If I download an episode from Netflix and play that audio through CarPlay, the drop out/crackling never happens but the problem happens so frequently in Apple Music that it's useless... after working fine for a year! Very frustrating!

Jun 10, 2018 12:48 PM in response to lopper

I think the answer to this problem is to make Apple aware of this. There several other glitches on my phone that I don’t even think Apple is aware of. I just never have gotten around the asking if other people have the same issues. We need a lot of people to hop on this thread so that Apple can be aware. Another music problem I am having while driving is that when listening to Apple Music radio, my song will skip to the next song randomly. Very annoying.

Jun 11, 2018 10:28 AM in response to austinchaynes

I just purchased an Audi yesterday and I am experiencing the same issue. Crackling sounds from both bluetooth and CarPlay. I have an iPhone 7 plus, updated software overnight (from 11.3 to 11.4) and the issue persists. I love CarPlay and it was a factor I considered when I shopped around for a vehicle. Very frustrating but I am not sure if its an Apple issue or Audi's? A woman plugged in her phone and while the crackling noise existed (also had an iPhone), it was not as terrible as when I plugged in my phone. Any suggestions?

Jun 11, 2018 10:38 AM in response to asolano49

Very annoying issue - I took into VW dealership twice thinking the issue was with the head unit on the Car. They said it was Apple software outpacing whatever they were using on there side. I was really hoping that the latest update would fix the issue. I agree - its really painful. I now listen over Bluetooth as the crackle is too much - but then watching maps on my phone near the gear shifter isn't as ideal/safe as watching it on the car's screen.

I happened to rent a Kia this weekend - confirmed the issue was in that car as well (started to think it might have been my phone/cable, etc, but not the case)

Jun 11, 2018 12:29 PM in response to asolano49

It is not an Audi issue, it is and Apple issue. My 2017 F150 is doing it too, and they guy below your comment has the same problem in his VW. Apple really needs to get on this because it has ruined CarPlay for me. I think the crackling happens quicker when I am using maps in conjunction with Apple Music. Weird, but I think there’s a correlation. But it will do it even without maps. However I really don’t want to go back to using car navigation, and would rather use Apple Maps. However I really don’t want to be looking at my phone in my lap, i’d Rather it be on the screen via CarPlay. I also have an IPhone 7 Plus with the current iOS.

Jul 24, 2018 8:48 PM in response to Rob115kiln

I took my F150 to the dealership for them to address the issue. They did an update on the radio. I now get no crackling, however, every 30-45 minutes of listening the music skips out for a second or so. That is slightly annoying, but I can live with it. I could NOT live with the crackling. So I don’t know if updating your radio at the dealership will work for everyone, but it did for me.

Jul 27, 2018 6:47 AM in response to austinchaynes

I have the same issue on my Chevy Volt - and unplugging the USB does cure it for a few minutes just like it does for you, but it repeats as you say. I learned that instead of unplugging, you can shut down the music app (Apple or Spotify or whatever) and restart the app. That works the same as unplugging. It will occur again after a few mins, but saves the hassle of unplugging. Either way, it's a major pain in the butt...

Aug 2, 2018 4:09 PM in response to austinchaynes

I get the same crackling issue it happens after about one or two minutes. I notice mostly when I‘m using the iphones functions that require audio. Primarily for me it is phone calls, probably because I make a lot of calls in the car! The only cure I found was unplugging and plugging back in the lighting/USB connection. How do I know I have the latest soft/firmware for my car? I have the latest iOS 11.4.1 on an iPhone 7.

Aug 12, 2018 5:09 AM in response to zingodude

I can confirm that calling up Siri works for me too (to temporarily stop the cracking noise) - as long as the double beeps from Siri are heard. Sometimes it does not beep and then the cracking continues. One other thing I learned is that it seems to be vehicle dependent. I have the same phone and when I use it on my 2016 Chevy Volt I frequently get the cracking noise but when I use the same phone on my new vehicle, I have not heard it yet - 1 month later. The newer vehicle has an Alpine i207 in it with CarPlay, and the head unit software seems to have a couple of features that the Chevy is missing, so I am assuming it's newer software.

Aug 14, 2018 9:01 PM in response to austinchaynes

Wow Audi and Subaru affected? I thought it was just Hyundai. Possibly Cartronics make head units for Audi/Toyota & Subaru...

This is the issue and it's been an issue for over 6 months since iOS 11.3 and it doesn't look like it's being fixed in iOS 12 either. I would elaborate but Apple deletes posts if you mention anything about confidential information AKA a public beta (go figure!)

Apple CarPlay audio distortion iOS 11.3 to iOS 12 Beta 6 - Hyundai & others using 'CARTRONICS' - YouTube

Apple Carplay help- music crackling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.