Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra 10.13.5 video playback issues

Dear ladies and gentleman,

After the last update of High Sierra, I have a major issue with my 2017 MacBook Pro. As soon as I start a video in safari, or one of my purchased movies in iTunes, the system becomes choppy.

The iTunes movies don't play at all and in videos in Safari, becomes choppy. The mouse and my keystrokes and the video playing halt for a moment before continuing briefly, before doing it again, and so on.

If I want to play Netflix in Safari I get error code: S7363-1260-FFFFD089

If I play Netflix in Google chrome, it works however.

These are the things I have done so far, but to no avail:

-Chatted with Apple support and followed their instructions, but they could not solve the problem unfortunately

-Clean install of MacOS 10.13.5

-Added another user, but the issue remains

-Started up in safe mode and checked activity monitor, but there was nothing special to see

-Emptied the cache in safari (developer tools)

-Change the user agent in developer tools in safari

I probably did a few more things to try to solve the problem, but I can't remember them at this moment.

Does anyone have the same issues? Was somebody able to solve it?

Thanks so much for your help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 12, 2018 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2018 5:50 PM

**HDCP Errors iTunes\Safari fix**

Symptoms:

*You had to reset the PRAM on your Mac for whatever reason

*iTunes movies won't play. You either get a black playback window or an error related to HDCP.

*Hulu and Netflix movies won't play within the Safari browser.

*YouTube is unaffected by this.

*Hulu and Netflix still play within Chrome web browser.

*Windows 10 (VM nor Bootcamp) are unaffected by this bug

Fix (workaround):

*Boot into Recovery Mode on your Mac (command+R)

*Open terminal and type in the command EXACTLY as written:

nvram 8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c:epid_provisioned=%01%00%00%00

and then press RETURN

It will go back to the prompt. Type reboot and RETURN.

Use this information at your own risk. If this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should contact Apple support directly and have them walk you through this.

If you have to reset your PRAM again for any reason, this will have to be done again in order to restore functionality. Apple is aware of this and will likely provide some sort of update to perminantly fix this.

This is truly a workaround, not a fix. But it should provide you a fully functional Mac in the mean time

If this does not work for you. Please try this again and triple check what you have typed. This command is case sensitive and it will NOT throw up an error or success message to let you know the result.

Good luck and good day.

Similar questions

120 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2018 5:50 PM in response to cosmonaut5

**HDCP Errors iTunes\Safari fix**

Symptoms:

*You had to reset the PRAM on your Mac for whatever reason

*iTunes movies won't play. You either get a black playback window or an error related to HDCP.

*Hulu and Netflix movies won't play within the Safari browser.

*YouTube is unaffected by this.

*Hulu and Netflix still play within Chrome web browser.

*Windows 10 (VM nor Bootcamp) are unaffected by this bug

Fix (workaround):

*Boot into Recovery Mode on your Mac (command+R)

*Open terminal and type in the command EXACTLY as written:

nvram 8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c:epid_provisioned=%01%00%00%00

and then press RETURN

It will go back to the prompt. Type reboot and RETURN.

Use this information at your own risk. If this sort of thing makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should contact Apple support directly and have them walk you through this.

If you have to reset your PRAM again for any reason, this will have to be done again in order to restore functionality. Apple is aware of this and will likely provide some sort of update to perminantly fix this.

This is truly a workaround, not a fix. But it should provide you a fully functional Mac in the mean time

If this does not work for you. Please try this again and triple check what you have typed. This command is case sensitive and it will NOT throw up an error or success message to let you know the result.

Good luck and good day.

Aug 22, 2018 4:45 PM in response to MrRojano97

Hello,

I started facing this problem after running a reset to the NVRAM, PRAM, SMC ; I performed the reset after reading this discussion Green fuzzy screen when open lid of MacBook Pro because I was facing the same problem (fuzzy screen when opening the lid). It solved the screen's problem but started another problem on Netflix (error code S7363-1260-FFFFD089).

I followed the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue, suggested by Netflix help center, but it wasn't helpful.

I tried to reboot my MacBook Pro 2016 on "safe mode" and after installing Silverlight Plug-in, it worked normally. But then I restarted the system with normal boot, so the problem appeared again.

It is driving me crazy, I tried everything but nothing worked. Please any help 😢

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2018 1:09 PM in response to cosmonaut5

I have the same issue.

Also during some live streams:

The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.

Chrome and firefox ok.

I tested Sierra, High Sierra ***

Same problem. Also choppy video Itunes.

Finally concluded that security update 2018-003 causes this, updating new video drivers.

Video driver settings are flashed in a chip. So rollback, clean install does not resolve.

Nothing to do with EFI file settings.

All working now.

Succes.
[Edited by Host]

Jun 29, 2018 10:38 PM in response to cosmonaut5

Hi, I just started having the same issue and getting the same error message on Netflix. I am on a 2016 iMac running 11.1.1 on Safari. Like you, I followed all the trouble shooting steps recommended by Netflix to no avail. Then I called Netflix and talked with tech support: I was told that they are aware of this issue and that they are currently working on a fix. Don't have an estimate of how long that will take. The problem is only confined to mac systems and not ipads/TVs.

Jun 30, 2018 12:41 AM in response to 09876

I read a while ago that the problem can't be solved at operating system level because it resides in the EFI files. The Genius guys or phone support can't do it either. On an updated computer you can run Chrome or Firefox and it works well. I noted a slightly better quality on Firefox. I am waiting to find out if Apple has resolved the issue before updating as I was lucky enough to get the MacBook Pro replaced and did the updates up tp 10.13.4. Works perfectly. Apple has no feedback from the consumer issues because their service does not communicate with the engineering so it might take a while until resolved. Please not the issue in my case includes choppy video on many sites, amazon prime and Netflix.

Jul 4, 2018 12:31 PM in response to cosmonaut5

I have exactly the same problem with Safari 11.1.1 on High Sierra 10.13.5. Youtube is working just fine. I can't check on Netflix because I'm not a subscriber. But all the other live stream sites. Especially local TV websites here in Germany.

And I just found out that if Javascript is running on the website which playing or streaming thing, it starts like ****. For example, on google.com website, I translated a word, and hit pronounce. It happens. Today I visited reddit.com, it started again. I think because of auto-playing gifs, video or whatever connected with Javascript, . Because when I disable Javascript on developer menu, everything is smooth. But we know that we can't live without Javascript on the web.

I'm so looking forward having a newer version of Graphic firmware stated above. MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2016, High Sierra is just fresh installed because of this madness.

Chrome is just the alternative now.

Jul 4, 2018 1:26 PM in response to trip3535

This morning I passed by an Apple store and checked up the Macbooks on display and looked if these were updated to 10.13.5 and the iTunes 12.7.5.9 which are the latest public releases. The computers worked perfectly fine with any streaming on Safari. I decided to update as well from 10.13.4 but I did it in the following order.

1. Update time machine back up

2. Start in recovery mode

3. Erased HD with disk utility

4. Erased container files with terminal.How to Delete APFS Partition on macOS Sierra

5. Recovered from Internet. When the computer started it was already in 10.13.5

6. App. store asked me to update iTunes additionally

7. Machine running well with a temporary account I set up for this purpose.

8. Used migration assistant to recover my original account.

9. Issue gone.

My machine was never updated to 10.13.5 before. The machine that was updated trough the normal update procedure I did not managed to get the video working properly.

I hope it keeps working well.

Sep 22, 2018 1:09 PM in response to cosmonaut5

And now a clean install running 2018-004 update. Nada.

Beta 2018-004 worked.

But after vnram reset issue comes back.

Installing official release 2018-004 does not resolve.

Reinstall 2018-004 after Sierra clean install. NO nothing.

It is possible that a "latest" firmware folder/file is missing in the EFI partition.

Forcing reinstal 2018-004 does not rewrite settings is the chip.

So i think we have to wait for the 2018-005 release.

If installing 2018-005 resolves it great but do NOT use nvram reset afterwards.

Hmm developers, please fix it.

High Sierra 10.13.5 video playback issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.