Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yarascanservice using 100gb of memory..

I just updated to 10.13.6 tonight.

After rebooting, I got a warning from cleanmymac that I was running out of memory.

I got into Activity Monitor and found yarascanservice using 99gb - then to 100gb before I Force Quit the application.

I just wanted to notify that there may be a memory problem with this application/service.

Thank you,

Myrhillion

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Late 2014 Regina 5K iMac

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2018 8:13 AM

I saw a YaraScanService processing using lots of CPU on my new MacBook after I updated to 10.13.6. When I look in Console/System Reports, I found a diagnostic report about it:

======

Date/Time: 2018-07-13 16:17:34.364829 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (Build 17G65)

Architecture: x86_64

Report Version: 19

Command: YaraScanService

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app/Contents/XPCServices/YaraScanService.xpc/C ontents/MacOS/YaraScanService

Version: 1.0 (1)

Build Version: 1

Project Name: MRTBinaries

Source Version: 43000000000000

Parent: launchd [1]

Responsible: MRT [1397]

PID: 1482

Event: cpu usage

Action taken: none

CPU: 90 seconds cpu time over 157 seconds (57% cpu average), exceeding limit of 50% cpu over 180 seconds

CPU limit: 90s

Limit duration: 180s

CPU used: 90s

===========

It seems clear that it is now a part of CoreServices and they added a check to limit its CPU usage to 90 seconds of CPU in 180 seconds.

Your mileage may vary.

Duration: 156.63s

Steps: 162

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2018 8:13 AM in response to Myrhillion

I saw a YaraScanService processing using lots of CPU on my new MacBook after I updated to 10.13.6. When I look in Console/System Reports, I found a diagnostic report about it:

======

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app/Contents/XPCServices/YaraScanService.xpc/C ontents/MacOS/YaraScanService

Project Name: MRTBinaries

Source Version: 43000000000000

Parent: launchd [1]

Responsible: MRT [1397]

PID: 1482

Event: cpu usage

Action taken: none

CPU: 90 seconds cpu time over 157 seconds (57% cpu average), exceeding limit of 50% cpu over 180 seconds

CPU limit: 90s

Limit duration: 180s

CPU used: 90s

===========

It seems clear that it is now a part of CoreServices and they added a check to limit its CPU usage to 90 seconds of CPU in 180 seconds.

Your mileage may vary.

Duration: 156.63s

Steps: 162

Jul 10, 2018 9:49 AM in response to Myrhillion

I’m also seeing this. Googling suggests it’s part of the Malware Removal Tool (MRT), which I presume was newly installed with 10.13.6. From what I read, if you kill the process, it’ll restart in an hour. I’m not doing anything on the iMac right now, so I’m inclined to let it run for a while and see if it releases all the resources it’s hogging during the scan (up to 60GB as I type).

This is definitely something that needs to be addressed. It should cruise along in the background, as unobtrusively as possible.

*Update*: it either quit (or crashed? who knows?) after running about an hour. Hopefully, it won’t need to get quite so hoggish on its next run.

Jul 14, 2018 2:37 AM in response to ericf2000

ericf2000 wrote:

======

Thank you for pointing this out. I stand corrected.

Jul 14, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Barney-15E

It's bundled in MRT.app if you open up the package (right click MRT.app, select "show package contents" and again once you get to /Contents/XPCServices/YaraScanService.xpc then you'll see the service /Contents/MacOS/YaraScanService). A straight path to it won't work.

initial path.

/System/Library/CoreServices/MRT.app

For what it's worth I have it on my macbook pro and my imac, although they are both on 10.13.6, so not sure if it was there prior.

Myrhillion

Jul 15, 2018 3:37 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

It seems clear that it is now a part of CoreServices

Well, maybe to you it does, but I have see no evidence that this is true.

Perhaps you have installed something like "Clean My Mac," and are not considering it as an anti-virus software.

A further data point. I never installed the infamous "cleanmymac" or any antivirus on my mac (in fact I've advocated against these tens, perhaps hundreds, of times on these forums).

I DO have this yaraservice on my mac running 10.13.6.

I just booted off a clone I made before updating from 10.13.4.

It is NOT there.

Since I updated directly from 10.13.4 to 10.13.6 (using the Combo update), I cannot say if this is new in 10.13.6 or if it appeared in 10.13.5, but I can say it is new, and is part of the system (I also never disabled SIP, for that matter).

Jul 15, 2018 1:32 PM in response to Myrhillion

OK. I downloaded the 10.13.6 Combo Update and this YaraScanService is in the package. However, I could not get it installed. I'm not sure how installer packages decide which packages to install and which to skip. Clearly, the YaraScanService has been skipped on every install I have.

It may be something where the YaraScanService only gets installed if you haven't updated your machine in some time. Inside the sub package BOM file, the date on MRT.app is June 7th. But the date on my existing 10.13.5 system is June 13th. It could be something where a previous update installed logic to block a particular piece of malware. But if you didn't get that update, you could have that malware installed. Therefore, the system installs the scanner to go look for it.

This is all speculation on my part. I have dived deep into Apple security update logic and only came out more confused than I started.

Clearly, the scanner shouldn't be using this much RAM and CPU. I encourage anyone who has encountered it to file a bug report at https://bugreport.apple.com

Aug 2, 2018 10:19 AM in response to etresoft

I don't know if this helps but I'm wondering if it depends on your generation of Apple computer.

It was running on my MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2010) which is currently on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

As I watched it in the Activity Monitor, under Info, on the Open Files and Ports tab I saw it going through .mov, .jpg, and other image and video files. I killed it immediately because I didn't know what it was and my computer is too old to handle that much memory usage from one background process.

EDIT: Check this StackExchange post: memory - What is “YaraScanService” that shows up in macOS Mojave Beta (10.14) and macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)? - Super U…

Apparently YaraScan runs once after update and deletes itself.

See here for more info too: macos - MRT Process using large unbounded amount of memory - Ask Different

Aug 26, 2018 7:26 AM in response to Myrhillion

What worked for me was emptying my Downloads folder. Apparently, yarascan checks the Downloads Folder after each restart. If the Downloads folder is full, yarascan will take time and resources to scan that folder. The amount of time yarascan runs is directly related to number of files in Downloads Folder. I had a bunch of archive files, installers, audio and video files in my Downloads folder, and yarascan ran about 8-10 minutes with each new restart. On a laptop running on battery, it generally used up 10% of battery before it finished scan. I completely emptied Downloads folder, and no more yarascan on startup. Emptying Download Folder will not remove yarascan from system. If I move files back into Downloads Folder and restart, yarascan will run on next restart. For, me (verified on 2 different machines), yarascan is directly related to files in Downloads Folder.

yarascanservice using 100gb of memory..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.