Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not updating Playcount

Sometime in the past week my iTunes decided to stop updating play count (I'm assuming it is something that was updated in the MacOS 10.13.6/iTunes 12.8.0 update). I've searched through previous posts and this seems to have happened to other people in the past.

I've tried turning on and off crossfade, I've logged out of my iTunes account, and deauthorized my computer (all things suggested in previous threads) with no luck.

Has anyone else come across this with this update? If so, anything work to fix it?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2018 4:10 PM

I just discovered that when I stream to my HomePod or Apple TV (most of the time I stream to my HomePod) the play count doesn't increment, but if I just play iTunes through my iMac speakers it does increment. This behavior is new with the last update since I've been streaming to my HomePod for a while now.

Looks like it is a deficiency, or bug, with AirPlay 2.

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2018 4:10 PM in response to TheMacDave

I just discovered that when I stream to my HomePod or Apple TV (most of the time I stream to my HomePod) the play count doesn't increment, but if I just play iTunes through my iMac speakers it does increment. This behavior is new with the last update since I've been streaming to my HomePod for a while now.

Looks like it is a deficiency, or bug, with AirPlay 2.

Jul 12, 2018 9:07 PM in response to TheMacDave

Strange, I have a brand new mp3 album in my library, and playing it from my Mac to my stereo-pair HomePods gave mixed results ... most songs didn't update playcount or last played date, but some did! Very strange.

Changing AirPlay output in iTunes to play to my AirPort Express-connected Bose resulted in consistent playcount and last played date updates.

Must be a bug, please submit your feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Jul 12, 2018 6:33 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

I'm having the same issue.

I've played around turning AirPlay2 off to one ATV off and leaving the HomePod on and vice versa. I've tried it with just the HomePod and just the ATV. The only time the play count updates is when I'm not AirPlay'ing to anything.

The source file, Apple Music or Matched, doesn't make a difference with my issue.

Hopefully its a bug that is fixed quickly.

Jul 17, 2018 3:47 PM in response to TheMacDave

That looks like the problem. My trouble is, I have a paid-for podcast that I can't play via my HomePod. So I play it from an iTunes smart playlist that has songs that have a play count less than 1.

I guess I can see why Apple decided that listening to something on the HomePod wouldn't count on iTunes. But doesn't it count songs played on my iPad or iPhone? (I always assumed so).

I *want* songs I listen to with my HomePod via AirPlay to increment.

Aug 3, 2018 12:39 PM in response to TheMacDave

I'm having the exact same problem (play counts not being recorded when using an AirPlay device). I do not have iTunes Match or Apple Music. And I have the problem both with music ripped from CD and purchased from the iTunes store. Also, for what it's worth, the problem exists both with a HomePod and with my Onkyo receiver. I only had this problem after installing the latest iTunes update, which added AirPlay 2 support.

I called Apple and gave them the feedback over the phone. I mentioned seeing a message thread online where other people have the same problem and they asked for the link. So I pointed them to this page. Hopefully, they will implement a fix for this soon, because it totally breaks things for me. I rely upon play count (and the last date played) Smart Playlists and things simply aren't working for me now. The band-aid solution is to not use AirPlay, which means my HomePod is basically useless until Apple fixes this, as AirPlay is the primary reason I have it!

Aug 8, 2018 5:56 PM in response to libertino85

libertino85 wrote:

I play 99% of my music on my iPhone. And it's not updating playcount in iTunes. It usually takes about 24 hours to update. But now it's not updating, even beyond the usual 24 hours.

I mostly play music from my iPhone as well, but the play history does immediately update iTunes when I re-sync, and my smart playlists update accordingly.

Do you auto-sync from iTunes, or manually manage the iPhone's contents. If you manually manage, playcounts from the iOS device don't always update iTunes (IIRC, this varies with iTunes releases, likely a recurring bug, or "programmer's whim").

Do you use iTunes Match or iCloud Music Library? I don't know how those may or may not update iTunes, but could certainly be a variable.

Aug 8, 2018 6:29 PM in response to libertino85

libertino85 wrote:

I use Apple Music/iCloud Music library.

I have not 'synced' my iPhone to my MacBook (by plugging it in) ever since Apple Music began. Do you recommend I sync in that manner?

I usually just allow music to sync 'automatically'...

Thanks.

I don't use Apple Music/iCloud Music Library so I can't say for sure. However, connecting your iPhone to your Mac and syncing with iTunes may be worth trying -- I would not be surprised if that works.

iTunes not updating Playcount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.