Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 7 battery draining rapidly

My iPhone 7 was working perfectly fine until i updated to iOS 11.4 and ever since i did that my battery is draining rapidly even without me using it at all . I used to go a full day without charging it now it may last half a day. I am just wondering if something got turned on with this new update that I have to turn off to save battery life .i have not done anything more than update the iOS . What will do for battery draining?

Posted on Jul 13, 2018 1:16 AM

27 replies

Jul 13, 2018 5:31 AM in response to junaidfromcalicut

Are you not already on 11.4, so downgrade is irrelevent.

If you have upgraded to 11.4.1 then that’s another matter, but I would question the logic of trying to go back, because 11.4.1 supposedly is a bug fix release which some say resolves the battery issue, plus you state you are having the problem in 11.4 anyhow.

If you do a search on this forum you will find a particularly long discussion regarding the topic with a few suggestions but not every one has worked for all, even the 11.4.1 update only sorted the issue for some, so Apple could have more work to do on this.

If you have access to a Mac I would try a “Restore as New” via iTunes (don’t just “Erase All Content and Settings” on the device itself, that way you completely replace what’s on the device, even the iOS itself. Then see how things go for a few days, if everything is back to normal you still have the option to restore your backup to get your device configured as it once was, but be aware that could risk reintroducing the issue back.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Please note, in the other discussion you will see some have already tried the iTunes Restore with mixed results, but that was with 11.4, you might have better success with the latest 11.4.1.

Jul 13, 2018 8:58 AM in response to Clickpix

Clickpix wrote:

11.4.1 = Bad

11.4 = Good

Strange, not according to this discussion iOS 11.4 battery drain

Although 11.4.1 is only fixing it for some, they all had issues with 11.4, perhaps they need to downgrade like you propose and then 11.4 would end up being ok.

Still can’t get my head round this one, nether the less I accept what you are saying because I’ve (touch wood) never had this issue.

May be you should post your thoughts on that discussion as well.

Jul 18, 2018 12:12 AM in response to junaidfromcalicut

Not sure what else to add, for some updating to 11.4.1 has fixed, for others it appears putting device into Low Power Mode helps as does switching to 2.4Ghz WiFi instead of using 5Ghz. If you have an unlimited data plan you could try just using cellular and turning WiFi off all together, but these are just work arounds and you really require Apple to resolve in a future update.

I still don't understand why a Restore as New doesn't work, and even more puzzled by Clixpic's resolution which I take it you did try.

All I can add is follow these discussions and hope someone hits on a fix,

iOS 11.4 battery drain

How to fix battery drain on 6s after update 11.4

Jul 13, 2018 6:35 AM in response to Clickpix

Clickpix wrote:

I had no problems with battery since i update do 11.4.1
Now i downgraded to 11.4 - now it works as before. Battery Life increased,

down slowely...with 11.4.1 every Minute 1% goes down....

Sorry, I’m a little confused, are you saying 11.4 is ok or 11.4.1, or both after updating to 11.4.1 and then downgrading to 11.4 😕

Jul 14, 2018 5:42 AM in response to Iron_Dragon

Iron_Dragon wrote:

The entire IOS 11 series will go down in the record books as a complete disaster.

May be for some, but as far as I’m concerned after Apple had sorted the very glitchy early point updates (up to iOS 11.1) my iDevices have run fine, that’s the X and iPad Mini 2. In fact I had all sorts of issues (at different times) with iOS 9 and 10 that I finally gave up trying to resolve, but with 11 my Messages have worked faultlessly across iDevices/iMac, Handoff seems to have come of age and Contacts, Calendar, Notes plus Safari never fails to update no matter which bit of kit I’m using at the time. I don’t use Cloud BackUp or Photo Syncing preferring to do those manually to an external hd so can’t comment on that side of things.

I can’t say why others are so troubled but I have my theories and it’s largely to do with how the updates are done, I always try to avoid OTA if possible, and I’m not constantly messing with the devices, once loaded with the stuff I use that’s basically it, I don’t keep installing and removing Apps.

Not sure if I’m just lucky but same can be said for my iMac (late 2013 SSD model), High Sierra has been almost perfect, yes, I’ve had a few things to try and resolve in the form of Podcast syncing and various unusual logs appearing, but those are largely down I believe to Apple Services, in fact I consider it’s largely down to Apple getting a grip on there Services that has enabled the “syncing” to improve, still not perfect but getting there.

Jul 18, 2018 4:05 AM in response to junaidfromcalicut

Sorry, but there doesn’t seem to be a “fix” that resolves the issue for everyone, some find the 11.4.1 update sorts it out, others have found a temporary work around and some like yourself can’t find anything that works.

It doesn’t help but not all are experiencing this issue, I’m one of them, but I can’t say why, it may be down to luck or how the device gets updated (I always use iTunes), for now we just have to trust Apple are still working to resolve.

My iPhone 7 battery draining rapidly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.