Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to expect to see a resolution to iOS 11.4 battery drain?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2018 6:10 PM

18 replies

Jul 17, 2018 11:48 PM in response to Gogogagetipod

Gogogagetipod wrote:

11.4.1 did not fix the issue as you’re probably well aware of.

No I'm not, in fact I'm not sure what to make of it all at this moment in time. Press are reporting 11.4.1 as a bug fix, I've never had any issues on both X and iPad mini 2 (even with 11.4) and even others are reporting there devices are ok on latest update.

User uploaded file

Yes, some (like yourself) are still reporting an issue, but there doesn't appear to be any logic to this - that's why I said "The rumour as posted..." and "...time will tell but being..."

When a clean install of the iOS via iTunes without using any BackUp fails to resolve then this issue appears to go against all the expected forms of a resolution, but there are "some" that are having success hence my post.

All I can add is take a look at this discussion My iPhone 7 battery draining rapidly and the post by Clickpix in particular.

User uploaded file

Again, I fail to see the logic as to why an Upgrade followed by a Downgrade could fix an issue but never the less he maintains it did, so could it be worth a try?

ps. But if you do want to try this I would hurry before Apple stops signing 11.4.

Jun 12, 2018 7:37 PM in response to Escrab

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPhone 6/6S by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons until your iPhone goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

How much free data storage space is left on your iPhone?

iDevices need to always maintain, at the very least, between 2-3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

In Settings App, Battery, check to see if any apps/processes are eating up your battery.

In Settings App, General,Reset, Reset Network Settings, try resetting your network settings.

Try re-adjusting your iPhone’s screen brightness to a lower, but still comfortable intensity.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for any apps you feel do not need constant data updating/Internet updating in the background when not using the an app OR turn OFF Background App Refresh entirely/globally for the entire device.

Do the same in the Settings app under Notifications.Turn off notifications for apps you do not think you need notifications for and/or edit the different ways you receive notifications to help with performance by not always using all the notification methods together.

In Settings app under Mail, you may want to set a longer fetch time or set your iOS Mail app to only manually fetch your mail ONLY when you launch the iOS Mail app.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running 30 -50 OR EVEN MORE background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

Also, make sure you don’t have 20-50 OR A WHOLE LOT MORE of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

Some minority of user have been turning ON and leaving ON iCloud backups continuously backing up on a constant and daily basis.

If you are one of these users, in Settings App, tap your Apple ID, then tap iCloud, then find iCloud backup and turn off iCloud backup and only turn this on to do daily backups either when you are not using your iPhone for a prolonged period of time (like when you are sleeping), then turn iCloud backups OFF when actually using your iPhone.

OR

Only perform your backups on a lesser time schedule.( like twice a week, once a week, once every two weeks, once a month, etc.).

Any large amount of background running apps or active processes that have to constantly go out to the Web to fetch data ALL THE TIME is going to slow down ANY iDevice and can, also, negatively impact battery life.

In addition to all of the possible fixes and solutions presented, another iPhone 6S user, in another single posting in the iPhone support communities, suggested to go into Settings, General, Accessibility, Increase Contrast and turn ON Reduce Transparency.

Your iPhone 6/6S won’t look as pretty, but that user reported that his iPhone 6/6S speed improved considerably.

If none of this, so far, has helped your iPhone 6,/6S,

What about doing a complete backup to iCloud or iTunes on a computer, then do a complete erase and reset as new in the Settings app under General, Reset then restore your backup from iCloud or iTunes?

If still no joy after the erase and restore, hammer Apple with constant feedback about the iPhone 6/6S issues here.

iPhone Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

This is THE ONLY avenue to get Apple’s DIRECT attention to any and all iPhone 6 issues!

IF no one continues to post regular feedback about iPhone 6/6S issues, Apple will NEVER know there is an issue and will never correct it!

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the appropriate Apple personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

Good Luck to You!

Jun 21, 2018 12:46 PM in response to MtnMc

Apple isn't here and Apple NEVER, EVER allowed downgrading iOS.

We are all just Apple Product users here.

If you do not want to put any of my iDevice advice and tips to work to help your iPhone, that, of course, is your option.

iPhone Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

Best of Luck!

Jun 14, 2018 4:44 AM in response to MichelPM

It's Apple's update and they should send fix ASAP. Customers shouldn't have to reconfigure their settings as a result of an update. I initially moved to Apple products because they understood and executed on this better than anyone else in the industry. Now they appear to be sinking to typical industry average customer experience. Sad:-(

Jun 21, 2018 12:39 PM in response to MichelPM

I *LOVED* my phone until I updated it last night. Now that I have 11.4, my battery level drops very fast. I charged it this morning and within 2 hours, it had dropped from 95% to 60%. I sent 2 text messages in the last 2 hours and my phone went from 100% to 80%. I used to be able to go an entire 24 hours prior to having to charge it. I shouldn't have to make a bunch of changes to my phone due to the terrible Apple update. Please roll it back or fix it. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Jul 4, 2018 4:48 AM in response to MtnMc

The rumour as posted on the Cult of Mac site is that 11.4.1 beta is a bug fix release that will resolve the battery issue as well as a camera glitch that others are experiencing.

That seems to hold up because a few that have tried the early beta’s (and posted feedback) say it’s resolved there excessive battery drain, time will tell but being it’s currently in beta 5 we should not have long to wait.

Jul 17, 2018 10:38 PM in response to MichelPM

We’ve rebooted we’ve reinstalled factory settings and fresh installed and have done everything possible too correct the issue. Here it is 11.4.1 and still no fix. Apple refuses to address this issue and will not respond too emails or calls concerning a fix. I’ve decided I’m tired of Apple pulling these tactics and will be filing a lemon law lawsuit against them. Yes this law is still in effect and the damage to buyers phones and functionality is covered by this law. There is enough evidence too win this in a court.

Jul 18, 2018 12:45 PM in response to Gogogagetipod

I am having the same issues and this is killing me. Why won't they let us revert to 11.3. I am a practicing physician who works 16 hour + shifts, and I have to carry my iphone in a mophie case as well as a mophie battery brick in my white coat while I round! I am thinking about going to the press with this; as I can't believe that apple has completely neglected us on this issue. I have now had 6 separate genius bar appointments and bought a new iphone x (which still drains fast, but the enhanced battery made up for some of it, but it still drained in ~7 hours of moderate usage).

Aug 3, 2018 3:42 PM in response to SiHancox

@SiHancox - Not correct. Disseminating inaccurate information does no one good. 11.4.1 is Battery Drain on Steroids. Not a fix whatsoever. Whether that "fix" will come in ios12 remains to be seen. (Personally, I'm not holding my breath; Apple keeps dropping more and more balls with every ios release but this time they did so so royally that even I, an Apple-r from day 1, is contemplating "going to that other system."

Aug 3, 2018 4:38 PM in response to afromprescott

What iPhone do you have?

If it is any of the iPhone 6 varIants or an iPhone 7/7S, have you had the iPhone’s battery replaced under the $29 U.S.D Apple iPhone battery replacement program?

Have you tried ANY or ALL my tips, in my above previous replies, to try a reduce your iPhone battery issues?

Again, my wife and I use lowly 32 GBs iPhone SE models and our iPhones have been fine on iOS 11.4.1.

Aug 3, 2018 5:08 PM in response to afromprescott

Exactly what/where is this “evidence” and the preponderance thereof, you state?

There aren't thousands upon thousands of users reporting iPhone/iPad battery issues under the latest iOS 11.4.1 In these official Apple Support Communities.

My compatible iPads are fine on the latest iOS 11.4.1 version, too.

Where is your overwhelming evidence that iOS 11.4.1 is still a widespread issue/problem for iDevice batteries?

Also, you didn’t answer my question, at all!

What have YOU tried to reduce or mitigate your iDevice battery issues?

Aug 3, 2018 8:47 PM in response to afromprescott

afromprescott wrote:

@SiHancox - Not correct. Disseminating inaccurate information does no one good. 11.4.1 is Battery Drain on Steroids. Not a fix whatsoever.

While I can understand the frustration for those affected by this issue, you really need to keep your response factual and courteous.

I fail to see what was inaccurate in my last post, the "Cult of Mac" was and still is running an article referring to the possible fix offered by 11.4.1 https://www.cultofmac.com/561727/looks-like-ios-11-4-1-really-did-fix-iphone-bat tery-drain/ and other forum members have reported same, just because it hasn't worked for you doesn't make those facts incorrect.

In fact, I also added a caveat in the form of "rumour" and "time will tell" because the update was/is getting so many mixed responses, that and the fact this issue really does appear to be very complicated in nature, so no, I do not accept my post was "inaccurate".

With respect to jumping ship, each to there own, my nephew has just purchased a P20 Pro and on first view it really does seem a very nice device, but don't be under any allusions, Android as an operating system has it's far share of issues and some would say more so simply due to the fragmented nature of software/hardware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.