Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop-up window: Apple wants to make changes

I repeatedly get a pop-up window saying “Apple want to make changes. Enter your password to allow this.” There is no mention of what is to be changed nor why. I, of course, don’t enter the password and have to close three iterations of the window before it goes away until the next day.

Is this an attempted hack of my computer? IF so, how to delete it from my system?

User uploaded file

Mac Pro (mid 2010), OS X 10.13.5

VIN,MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 11:29 PM

I'm having the same problem on my Mac Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6. It occurs every 2 or 3 days and goes away after exactly 3 pop-ups and 3 cancels. I believe that it is malware mainly because I trust that Apple would not do this. Also, the use of "Apple" vs. "Finder" or some other system component is troubling. I'm using a WatchGuard Firebox T-70 security appliance with network anti-virus and I thought that I was immune from this stuff... apparently not. I listened to the "security now" podcast suggested by macfrombrampton and although possible, that vulnerability sounds like a bit of a stretch. I would appreciate an update if anyone finds out anything else. Otherwise, I'll sit and wait for Mojave and hope that no damage is done.

107 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2018 11:29 PM in response to QZ9

I'm having the same problem on my Mac Pro with High Sierra 10.13.6. It occurs every 2 or 3 days and goes away after exactly 3 pop-ups and 3 cancels. I believe that it is malware mainly because I trust that Apple would not do this. Also, the use of "Apple" vs. "Finder" or some other system component is troubling. I'm using a WatchGuard Firebox T-70 security appliance with network anti-virus and I thought that I was immune from this stuff... apparently not. I listened to the "security now" podcast suggested by macfrombrampton and although possible, that vulnerability sounds like a bit of a stretch. I would appreciate an update if anyone finds out anything else. Otherwise, I'll sit and wait for Mojave and hope that no damage is done.

Sep 1, 2018 6:04 AM in response to QZ9

Check Safari > Preferences > Websites > then the Plug-Ins panel on the bottom left corner. Look and see if you have anything there you don't recognize. I suggest too actually running Malwarebytes and see if it detects it. This one is pretty solid of at least finding a part of a file tied to any form of malware. The wording is definitely off as someone pointed out Apple Vs Finder. It's definitely something installed or piece of something attached to a program or file.

Prior to this happening do you remember if you downloaded or were prompted to update anything that wasn't done directly through the Mac App Store.

Sep 19, 2018 8:08 PM in response to drumkroozer

will show what installs were made on the date that an actual password was provided to this pop up?

If the person clicked cancel, the software wasn't install so I doubt macOS took note.

Run etrecheck. It lists the software installed in the last month. Not sure were it gets the dates.

etrecheck

Download etrecheck. Click on the download link at the bottom of the screen. http://etrecheck.com/

Run etrecheck. The first five runs are free.

How to post etrecheck findings:

1) click on "Share report"

User uploaded file

2) click on "Copy report"

User uploaded file

3) Paste the information into an ASC forum reply.

Using EtreCheck by etresoft, the author https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-11591

Stamp of approval https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8181

Sep 20, 2018 6:54 AM in response to rccharles

I though we determined it was fake. I don't think that is the wording used in macOS.

Dang, now I'm not sure. The messages change depending on what you're installing. Here's what I got in Mojave while installing a Flash Player update.

User uploaded file

Nothing about "Type your password to allow this.", and a different confirmation button. With this admin box open, I ran Activity Monitor to see what was generating the message.

User uploaded file

According to that, the OS was genuinely creating the box via the SystemAppearance drawing routines. But then, the scam app could easily be calling for the same resources. I have no way of checking without having the malware to run.

It would seem to me the OS is indeed calling for the admin confirmation, prompted by the malware. Otherwise, why show it at all? Any malware would prefer you didn't even know it was installed. This only draws your attention to it and they have to goad the user into allowing its full installation in order to do what the malware app intends.

Whichever is correct, we definitely know users shouldn't allow it.

Sep 4, 2018 12:35 PM in response to minners

The restart of Malwarebytes detects something is fairly normal. It does that because when macOS reboots it actually pulls in the parts of Gatekeeper that were designed to fight against malware and the restart also searches the purpose of stopping anything actively running to remove it. Go ahead and log back in and run another scan and also check your Applications list and make sure you recognize every program listed. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/apps-included-on-your-mac-mchl110b00b7/ mac

That link is a list of what’s built in so you know how to recognize what should be there that you didn’t install yoirs

Sep 6, 2018 2:07 PM in response to QZ9

I also have had this pop-up "Apple wants to make changes". After reading everyone's experience of this problem, I contacted Apple Support. They guided me through the process of changing Safari preferences to turn off pop-ups. They also had me delete extensions that I didn't use or recognize. Both of these were found with the Safari browser open under the "Safari" menu item. The block pop-up setting was a check box under "Security". And the extensions were listed and able to be deleted under "Extensions" in preferences. An article on this is at How to block pop-ups in Safari - Apple Support.

Sep 16, 2018 7:10 PM in response to David Allan Krause

It doesn't make sense.

Sure it does. Don't run McAfee. Just another example of why people don't recommend running antivirus software on the mac.

Simple put, Apple attempts to provide all the malware detection and removal you need in Mac OS X.

"Effective defenses against malware and other threats" by John Galt

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

"Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams"

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204759

"MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac Removes adware and malware Revives your Mac." MalwareBytes has a more restrictive filter for adware than Apple. MalwareBytes has come to be accepted as the only malware detector you should consider. For those pestered by browser attacks consider MalwareBytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

etrecheck

Run etrecheck. The first five runs are free. Provided a report on your machines hardware and software. Great for diagnosing your system. Click on the download link at the bottom of the screen.

http://etrecheck.com/

Sep 4, 2018 5:25 AM in response to QZ9

This just happened to me as well. I was working in Safari and it crashed. Then the message popped up. I installed malwarebytes and it said it detected something. When Iclicked to read the results, my computer restarted. Did not want to log in again because don’t want to give my password. Any suggestions?

Pop-up window: Apple wants to make changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.