Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages sending to wrong contacts

All 3 family members with iPhones have been able to send iMessages w/o difficulty for years. Since upgrading to iOS 12, when I send an iMessage from my phone to my wife, it goes to my daughter‘s phone. As I hit send, I can see the contact name on the top change from one name to the other.

If my dauhhter replies, it comes to me. Also, I receive messages from my wife just fine. If I reply to her, it goes to her and my daughter. This issue only happens when originating a message on my phone.

We we do have the same Apple ID, but all of our settings are enabled to only send/receive from our respective phone numbers.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 6:22 PM

Similar questions

27 replies

Sep 23, 2018 6:26 PM in response to catfromminneapolis

catfromminneapolis wrote:

We we do have the same Apple ID

Immediately stop sharing an Apple ID, as this is the cause of your issue.

Once each person gets her/his own Apple ID, thoroughly cleanse her/his iOS device(s) as follows:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Regarding your daughter:

Help your child set up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2018 6:49 PM in response to sberman

Appreciate the feedback. I’ve been told this before but never changed Apple IDs and as long as our send/receive settings were for our independent phone numbers, there’s never been an issue.

I did, however, create a separate ID for my daughter in case that was the issue. Just tried sending a message to my daughyer: her name appears on the top of the message thread...but as soon as I hit the send command, the name changes to my wife’s and my daughter doesn’t receive the message.

So, unfortunately, that didn’t fix the problem.

Sep 23, 2018 6:59 PM in response to catfromminneapolis

catfromminneapolis wrote:

Just tried sending a message to my daughyer: her name appears on the top of the message thread...but as soon as I hit the send command, the name changes to my wife’s and my daughter doesn’t receive the message.

Getting this behavior correct may take a while - for your iOS device to "forget" history.

Send the message to your daughter's telephone number (or email address) until this gets straightened out.

Sep 24, 2018 7:48 AM in response to DTS_MAN

Exact same thing. Now my "kids" account intercepts all my wife & my conversations. We can't see what the other sent to their account. It still works on older (ios 11) devices and my computer, but this is aggravating. It won't send to the phone number. If I try to send it as an sms by turning off iMessages, it says you need to turn on iMessages to send. This is my phone? Why can't I control where it is sent. Why is iMessage taking over even forcing SMS?!

Sep 26, 2018 9:22 AM in response to catfromminneapolis

Same problem and this is what I've uncovered by reading various message boards. One of the message updates for iOS12 was a new feature that combines Message threads by iCloud account instead of the actual phone number. For me, I have our entire family (myself, wife, and kids) under my iCloud/Apple ID. This has caused massive issues and frustrations since the upgrade in that all of our texts are trying to combine in a single thread and we have no idea who is sending the text or who is supposed to receive the text.

From what I can uncover, Apple claims this was to help simplify viewing your texts over multiple devices (e.g. iPhone, iPad, etc.). However, there was already a previous feature in Settings to simply forward a text to other devices so I don't understand why Apple would force out this new combining feature.

My personal viewpoint is that Apple is trying to force every individual user to set up their own Apple ID and then connect them through the new Family Sharing feature. What they do not understand is that I am extremely uncomfortable with setting up my young children with an individual account connected to Apple.

If this is not reversed, then I will most likely leave Apple all together and finally jump over to Android. I will not be forced by Apple to allow them to connect directly to my minor children. That is highly arrogant of Apple to think they have the right to directly connect to a minor.

Sep 27, 2018 6:24 AM in response to DTS_MAN

We have 4 people on one Apple ID. NEVER had this issue before AND it is only impacting ONE phone, and only when sending from that phone to ONE other. My wife, daughter, and son can send w/o this problem. It’s only my phone that’s screwed up.

In addition, I created a separate Apple ID for my daughter just to see...guess what, I still can’t send to her it redirects only to my wife’s phone.

Set aside the issue that Apple shouldn’t be forcing separate IDs...that’s not the problem here. Something else is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Oct 4, 2018 10:37 AM in response to catfromminneapolis

I have just stopped using iMessage and gone to another messaging system as I don’t want to unlink all my phones but this is a pain and creating new Apple IDs for my phones will mean that they are off find my iPhone and other apps. This is a downgrade of functionality and forced upon users with no choice. Shows again how much data Apple collect on users.

Oct 8, 2018 10:12 AM in response to KiltedTim

This is still happening to me. All four of us have different Apple IDs, using family sharing. It is also sending them to my sister mistakenly, who has a different Apple ID, different phone carrier, lives in a different state, and is not family sharing. Deleting the thread temporarily fixes the issue, but it comes back. I am tired of everyone saying it is just because people are sharing an Apple ID. WE ARE NOT SHARING AN APPLE ID. Still happens to us, clearly a bug.

Oct 31, 2018 7:18 PM in response to catfromminneapolis

I had the same problem with my daughters when I upgraded to ios 12 - they were both using my apple id. I created a new id for both of them but still had the problem for weeks (it doesn't just go away with time). My husband couldn't send me texts because sometimes they would go to one of my daughters. I had to talk to 3 Apple support people before I was eventually elevated to a senior advisor. I tried changing all sorts of settings, rebooted the phone multiple times, and even logged onto an Apple web page that "deregistered" their phone numbers from iMessage. Nothing worked. The senior advisor had me, both of my daughters, AND my husband (who was never on my Apple id) delete every message thread that contained any of us. All group text threads, all personal threads... every thread that had me, my daughters, or my husband on it. Use the search bar at the top to find every single one. Then, reboot all the phones. It worked.

iMessages sending to wrong contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.