Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max Speaker(in the earpiece) issue

I recently bought iPhone XS Max 64gb silver variant, the front speaker near the earpiece stops working after some use. The earpiece works absolutely fine while making and receiving calls, but while playing any media file, only the bottom speaker works not the top one. This issue is now constantly arising on both my iPhones XS Max variants,

to rectify the issue, I have to restart the iPhone every time to make the top speaker work , until it gets back to dead.

Pls help.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 12:33 AM

118 replies

Nov 27, 2018 6:03 AM in response to GCOVNJ

Hi, i have a X (not S). The problem is the same. See this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8146714

or

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8430746

And there many other Threads.

I think it is a bug in iOS or an app is crashing the speaker system...

And no not during calls. I cant hear when starting the call. The earpiece stops working complet. No music, sounds etc. Thats the bug for all here i think.

Oct 7, 2018 1:15 AM in response to jeffrocks626

It is not a hardware issue, so no use of going to the apple store. It’s a software bug that arises when an ezternal Bluetooth device is connected with the phone. Since 2-3 days I haven’t used any Bluetooth devices, so both of the speakers are working absolutely fine. But as soon as i’ll use any Bluetooth device (speakers or earphones) , the top speaker will go out.

Restarting the phone solves this issue.

Oct 12, 2018 12:32 AM in response to jeffrocks626

I submitted my device to Apple Service Centre, when the top speaker was not working, they did a troubleshooting and found that the earpiece unit as well as the bottom mic is faulty, but as soon as I restarted the device, the troubleshooting showed no such error. The device is submitted , hope to hear from them in about 5-6 days, will keep you posted

Oct 16, 2018 3:00 PM in response to jeffrocks626

Hi,

Same issues with my XS max 256 gb. Just received my replacement phone for this issue yesterday from Verizon. I have my insurance through my carrier, and no questions asked it was replaced. Same problem exists on this phone as my original pre-order phone. It worked fine for about 12 hours, and then randomly the earpiece speaker goes out and everything that requires audio, and requires a reboot to fix. Although the earpiece speaker works during phone calls.

I’ve been working with a senior advisor who has been very cordial to me, and I’m sure would love to solve the problem.

I am also sure that Apple is well aware of this by now, as I’ve seen over 140 “Me too” having the same issue.

Let’s hope it’s fixed in the next update.

Oct 16, 2018 3:54 PM in response to jeffrocks626

Experiencing the same issue on my iPhone xs max. Talking to apple support on twitter. All they suggest is to restore my phone which I’ve done. They are basically playing dumb like they are unaware of this issue being widespread. Suggesting it’s a hardware problem and to exchange the phone. Don’t have much hope that it will fix the issue judgin by all the posts on here.

Oct 16, 2018 4:10 PM in response to Markw3two9

IMO Apple should release a statement saying it’s a known issue, and they’re working on it. Can you imagine how much money it’s costing to send out replacement phones? That would be a great solution, if it worked. My replacement phone was given to me by my carrier, Verizon. I won’t even get into why Apple wouldn’t send me a new phone. But I want to put a plug-in for Verizon’s top-tier insurance, I had a new phone within 48 hours. For $13 a month it’s well worth it.

Oct 16, 2018 4:22 PM in response to GCOVNJ

And yes the replacement phone has the same exact issue as my original pre-order phone. There’s only one reason I’m posting, I’m hoping that somebody from Apple pays attention. I’ve owned iPhones ever since the release of the 3G, and I have basically spent enough money on iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, plugs, wires, adapters, Apple microwave (that’s a joke) that may be equivalent to the gross national product of some countries. All customers are important, but how important is the repeat customer?

Oct 16, 2018 4:48 PM in response to GCOVNJ

I hear you. Very frustrating because I love the phone also it’s an extremely expensive phone and it just ***** when something doesn’t work properly after you paid all that money. I just finished talking to Apple on twitter and after over an hour of back and forth they want me to go to the Apple store because they suspect it’s hardware related. Only problem is there isn’t an Apple store within an hour of my house. I’m just going to keep restarting the phone for now. Hope a software update comes out. *****

Oct 16, 2018 7:02 PM in response to jeffrocks626

I submitted my device to the apple service center, they kept the device for an entire day and ran several test and troubleshooting, device was handed over to me the next day, informing that the issue did not occur the entire day. The phone was restored. The next day , the same issue arised and apple service center took a note of it and submitted my device, along with the entire documentation of the problem. The phone is still with them for the past 3 days. My case was also with the apple senior consulate, but he has not even called me once. It looks like Apple does not want to take a note of this issue and come out openly with a solution. Only the customers are highlighting the issue, not a single tech reviewer on Youtube or any other platform is willing to highlight it, I have messaged and mailed to many

Oct 17, 2018 1:19 AM in response to prakharsfc

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Maybe you could drop a hint at the Apple store that you are not the only one experiencing the exact same problem. Since Apple is not acknowledging this issue, maybe our experiences will help people. I’m assuming there are many people that will be reading this thread, looking for an answer to a question that should stop being swept under the rug by Apple. Apple knew very well that replacing our phones wasn’t going to do anything, and it seems that the theme of the times we live in is just to deny. Apple needs to know that we are walking advertisements for their products, and there is no Apple event that can tout their products like millions of satisfied users can. It is my opinion that Apple does not need a “speakergate” after just getting our trust back. Apple needs to know, that we like our devices, we thank them for an operating system (iOS 12) that is finally worthy to have the Apple stamp of approval on it. Apple needs to know that there are too many other smart phone choices out there, and we’re not going to keep plinking down $1250 for subpar phones, in an industry they used to be the leader of. Apple needs to stop resting on it’s laurels, and start taking care of its base, before it starts losing more of it. How many new customers is Apple going to win over if it’s base is unhappy? After owning multiple (many) devices dating back to the iPhone 3G, and countless other Apple devices, and I’ve also purchased Apple devices for other people... If Apple sweeps this under the rug, I for one am done with them. In a world full of denials, it would go a long way to admit that there’s a problem, and simply say we’re going to provide a fix... Hey Apple did you feel the sigh of relief after that last statement? We did.

Oct 17, 2018 1:33 AM in response to GCOVNJ

Also, if Apple takes care of my speaker problem, and takes care of others having the same problem, I’ll write a good review in this thread. I’ve never posted much, or at all in these type of discussions, but I’ve read plenty, and Apple needs to know that there are people searching online at this very moment, because they’re having the same speaker issue as we are.

iPhone XS Max Speaker(in the earpiece) issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.