Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone XS Max Cell Signal

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the iphone xs max receiving poor cell signal. I am on ATT and previously had the iphone 7 Plus and my signal was never perfect but it was consistently two bars. Once i upgraded to the new phone i get one bar and sometimes it changes from LTE to 4G. Even though i have one bar when i get a phone call i can't hear the people on the phone and they can't hear me. I have had to resort to calling people back using facetime audio which works but the audio is choppy. Considering how much this phone cost i should not be having this issue. What can i do to fix?

I have complained ALOT to ATT and that has not helped at all.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 10, 2018 5:28 PM

17 replies

Oct 14, 2018 2:44 PM in response to Jef A.

I have t-mobile and not the max. I am experiencing a connection as well. While at home I noticed the phone would take longer to load websites. After the 12.0.1 update I’m experiencing more problems. I am up on vacation I Michigan but I still have 4 bars and can’t load anything. I think it’s ridiculous that we purchase this expensive phone and it can’t do what it’s suppose to do. I never had a problem with my iPhone 8. No matter where I was. Very very dis

Oct 14, 2018 2:30 PM in response to Jef A.

So i went into the Apple store and they performed a factory reset by holding down both volume buttons and the lock button while plugging it into a computer with itunes. This was suppose to reinstall the software from scratch on the phone. As soon as i left the store the exact same issues happen regarding the cell signal. Now i have to reinstall and configure all my applications again which is a pain.

This is incredibly frustrating!!!!

I want my iPhone 7 Plus back....atleast it worked consistently!

Apple needs to fix this immediately!

Oct 14, 2018 2:44 PM in response to Jef A.

I’ve had essentially the same thing done, after sending Apple all the info they wanted from the phone. They sent me a new phone which was set up as a new phone, NOT from a backup, and guess what? I still have the issues. I keep telling them it’s an antenna issue, and asking them to fix it.......and nothing....it’s either a bad antenna, or the software for the antenna.

FIX IT APPLE!!!! This stinks.

Oct 30, 2018 7:35 AM in response to Jef A.

I am having serious problems with my XS Max iPhone. I am constantly not able to connect to WhatsApp or WeChat. I kept receiving messages like "connecting" or " no connection" even though I have "4G" signal. This happened when signal strength was not at its strongest or I entered a space where signal is weaker. My emails would also hang somewheres as well as my messages until I do a soft reset and a whole pile of messages would flood in. With my Iphone 8S, I never had this problem. I have Apple Care and they kept asking me to reset this and reset that. This is a big hardware design flaw. When I travel now, I have to bring my Iphone 8S with me just in case the XS Max fails to connect to the internet. I have to soft reset the XS MAX many times during my 2 weeks of owning this phone. I have lots of travelling to do in the next two weeks. Upon my return, I am going to return this XS Max for a full refund if I do not receive a firmware fix by that time.

Dec 7, 2018 4:18 AM in response to Jef A.

i have an IPhone XS Max and am experiencing the same issue. Just back from the Apple Store at Dubai Mall where I purchased the phone and consulted a Genius. Well the Genius was not aware of the issue and suggested it was my carrier which clearly it is not since there are multiple confirmation of this issue on the forum. I referenced the forum and he said that if it was an official Apple forum they would be aware of it. Sigh! I prefer my IPhone 6S Plus ... nobissues experiences ever.

Dec 9, 2018 9:51 PM in response to Jef A.

I have been having the same problem. I travel between Japan and China weekly and have been using an XS Max Pro (512) phone in place of my iPhone X for six weeks after picking up the phone in Arizona. Over that time this phone has consistently had problems with the cellular signal in not only the United States but also in Japan and China. My phone is unlocked so I am able to use different Sims for each country. The week signal strength in each country convinces me that this is a hardware not a software or carrier problem. It appears that Apple made a poor product this time even at $1500. I regret that I have to tell my friends in Asia to avoid this phone until the problem is fixed or resolved.

Dec 11, 2018 7:25 PM in response to Jef A.

Hi. I am experiencing the same kind of problems with my iPhone XS max bought in HK 2 months ago: low 4G signals that leads to disconnections even in areas where I never had disconnection with my previous iPhone X, some disconnections become permanent as long as I don't reactivate either by flight mode ON/OFF or by phone reset, sometimes the 4G connection appears as fine (4G bars are on) but actually the phone is not connected to internet, I noticed this last issue often happens after my iPhone was in flight mode for quite a while (after a flight), and it took me like 5 to 10 minutes to be able to call the driver who was waiting for me at the airport.

I have already reset a few times the network settings, changed the Sim card for a new one, updated to the lastest IOS (currently 12.1.1). But obviously it seems to be a hardware issue that Apple should fix, according to the price we pay for these devices.

Dec 11, 2018 8:23 PM in response to louis966

Your experience is exactly the same as mine has been in Shanghai and Tokyo And is a better description than mine was. I have had to reset the phone numerous times to re-connect to WeChat and other apps that require connectivity and also to maintain phone calls.

I have concluded that this is a faulty can wear problem probably in the antenna that needs to be addressed by Apple and fixed. It is a real shame that it occurs in their highest end model and has quite put me off on recommending this phone.

Dec 17, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Jef A.

I experienced the exact same problem, my 7 plus was perfect, XS, not so much.

I contacted AT&T and they reset my phone's service on their end. After that I did a full reset on my phone. Turn off phone backups before you do this; you don't want to restore the settings on the phone that may cause this problem to occur again. This only affects the settings, not app data, etc.

I found that these actions, on the most part, worked. Although still not as good as my 7 plus, I at least have consistent cellular, 2 bars, and 4G connectivity.

If this doesn't work for you I would make an appointment with the geeks at an Apple store. Chances are you might have a phone with a bad modem.

IPhone XS Max Cell Signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.