Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave has made my iPod Touch a paperweight.

I don't see much out there regarding this issue, but once I upgraded to Mojave, my old iPod Touch (2nd Generation) ceased syncing capabilities with iTunes. I get this message:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch “iPod” because an invalid response was received from the device."

Thinking it was a problem with my old iPod, I restored it to factory settings. However, I still get the same message and all of my music is erased. I even had to hook it up to an older computer to complete the installation after restore.

I know I can downgrade back to High Sierra, but I'd rather not do that. Is there a way to get music back onto the iPod without using iTunes? I'd rather do that and then call it a day with this iPod. My 7-year-old is missing his tunes, though, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 30, 2018 2:52 PM

Similar questions

27 replies

Oct 31, 2018 10:34 AM in response to devzin98

Hello devzin98,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after upgrading to macOS Mojave your iPod touch can no longer be synced to iTunes. If the music was purchased from iTunes, you can download your purchased music from the iTunes Store on the iPod touch. The following articles will provide you with information on redownloading your purchased music:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Nov 10, 2018 5:58 AM in response to devzin98

Try using an older version of iTunes like the current compatible 12.6.5

iTunes 12.6.5 found here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

iTunes 12.6.5 for the Mac requires OS X El Capitàn 10.11.4 or later.

If you use a newer version of iTunes on a computer and already have an iTunes Library, you will need to find the iTunes Library folder on your computer ( usually located in folder labelled Music ) and, temporarily, move/copy this folder to another location so you do not accidentally write over your existing current iTunes library.

Oncs iTunes version 12.6.5 is downloaded and installed on your computer, at launch, hold down the Opt/Alt key on your keyboard while launching this older iTunes version, so you can create a new Tunes library.

Try using this version with yiour old iPod Touch.

Good Luck to You!

Dec 2, 2018 2:48 PM in response to canonindevin1989

Well,

It is what it is.

I am not Apple.

You do not like any of my responses or attempted solutions,

Take this up, directly, with Apple in Cupertino, CA using their support link here.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

The 10 year old 2nd gen iPod Touch support has, probably, reached its end.

If still NO joy, purchase a new iPod Touch.

High technology doesn't last forever.

Nov 6, 2018 8:15 AM in response to pjb904

FYI,

Most everyone who both posts and responds here are just Apple product users, just like you.

I am just a regular volunteer Apple user here.

NO ONE who signs up here works for Apple.

The version of iTunes that I linked to IS compatible with macOS Mojave.

The MINIMUM macOS IS OS X 10.11.4 El Capitàn.

ITunes 12.6.5 works perfectly well with macOS Mojave, as long as you move/copy your existing iTunes Library and then create a new iTunes library as I instructed/warned about above.

My iTunes procedure using version 12.6.5 works!

Try again and Good Luck!

Nov 8, 2018 11:54 AM in response to bodysurfer

Not sure.

My Mac is too old to run Mojave, so I cannot test, myself, to see what the actual issue maybe installing iTunes 12.6.5.

My procedures work all the way up to macOS High Sierra.

I do not know if something has changed in Mojave or not.

If this works all the way up to High Sierra, really do not know why iTunes 12.6.5 would fail to install under macOS Mojave.

If you have a newer version of the iTunes application still in the Applications folder, try moving it out of there to some other temporary location. See if that solves the issue, or not.

Sorry and Good Luck!

Nov 9, 2018 8:19 PM in response to devzin98

I'm having the exact same problem. I spent an hour talking to Apple Support and they confirmed that their engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution that will be implemented with the next big update.

Of course they have no idea how long it will take for that update to be released. They're also not positive that their solution will work. They subtly hinted that I might just have to buy a new iPod.

Nov 10, 2018 12:04 AM in response to Membarock

The 5th gen iPod Touch is already 6 years old.

Any other older iPod Touch models are just getting older and older.

1st and 2nd generation iPod Touches are 10-11 years old, now.

Apple does not support their older iDevices, using iTunes, forever.

I have a 6th, 64 GBs storage iPod Touch and an 8 GBs, 2nd gen iPod Touch.

I just use my 2nd gen as it is and no longer sync it to iTunes, as it has, basically, become a music player that only stores a very limited amount of my music library on it.

My nearly 3-1/2 year old iPod Touch is still serving me well, it can upgrade to the latest iOS versionl and contains nearly my entire music library and can actually use some my most up to date apps on it, as well.

So, it might be time to just bite the bullet and purchase a more up to date model iPod Touch

OR

iPhone 5S or SE models, like the 32 GBs and 64 GBs storage versions, can be had very cheaply now since Apple retired these.

Some big box retailers still have old stock of these and can be purchased for under $200 ( some online retailers, big box retailers, included ) have the 32 GBs iPhone SE for between $140-$160 U.S.D..

So, you get both a smart phone and an iPod together in one package.

So, would be prudent, at this very late date, to just consider purchasing something newer that is currently being supported.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 10, 2018 5:47 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the sales pitch. I appreciate the options you lay out. My guess is you are from a generation that has fully embraced planned obsolescence. I understand that many people want the latest and greatest, but I really just wanted to use my iPod touch to download podcasts to listen to while on the elliptical trainer. For such a simple use, it seems like Apple could at the very least enable its devices to endure beyond the life of your average goat. Sigh.

Nov 10, 2018 6:03 AM in response to Membarock

Thanks for the response. I got about the same from Apple Support. I’m starting to think that their go-to company line when they have no idea about solving a problem (or don’t want to tell you it won’t be solved) is “wait for the next update”. I’m fully prepared for it not to make any difference whatsoever.

I gave my in-laws my old iMac and I’m sure they haven’t updated the OS. I think at this point my best solution is to copy my library onto that Mac and sync there. It’s absolutely ridiculous that Apple makes a quality product, but then forces it obsolete. Buying a new one is not an acceptable answer for me. I have a whole house full of Apple products. I’ve given them enough money.

Nov 10, 2018 6:10 AM in response to MichelPM

The age of the device shouldn’t matter. They built it, and they should support it. If they are going to stop supporting it, fine, but TELL US so that we can make an informed decision before updating to their newest OS/iTunes version. There was no warning, no notification, nothing telling us that older devices would be rendered obsolete with the update. I read up on new version prior to updating and there was no mention of this anywhere. That is unacceptable.

Nov 10, 2018 6:38 AM in response to bodysurfer

10 or 11 years is quite a bit of time in technology years.

Assuming you own a 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen iPod Touch.

AND Apple, unlike other mobile technology makers, supports their mobile devices and computers longer than any other makers.

You are lucky if you get 3 years of support from an Android device and then certain Android system versions, like iOS need a new Windows operating system for support.

At least with iTunes, it is supported over 3-4 macOS and Windows versions before you need a computer operating system upgrade/update.

Hardly planned obsolence going on here.

No technology from ANY device maker is going to work and be supported forever.

Nov 10, 2018 6:46 AM in response to devzin98

devzin98 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I got about the same from Apple Support. I’m starting to think that their go-to company line when they have no idea about solving a problem (or don’t want to tell you it won’t be solved) is “wait for the next update”. I’m fully prepared for it not to make any difference whatsoever.

I gave my in-laws my old iMac and I’m sure they haven’t updated the OS. I think at this point my best solution is to copy my library onto that Mac and sync there. It’s absolutely ridiculous that Apple makes a quality product, but then forces it obsolete. Buying a new one is not an acceptable answer for me. I have a whole house full of Apple products. I’ve given them enough money.

Yet another one.

Really?...

If you own a 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen iPod Touch that is still working, eventually it will not.

These are 9, 10 and 11 year old devices, now.

Dog years in any computer or mobile computer electronics world.

The time is either here, now, or coming very soon that these very old iDevices will stop getting ANY support, at all!

What are you going to do, then?

It is only a matter of time, too, before that 9, 10, 11 year old rechargeable lithium battery in these very old iDevices fails completely or just will no longer keep a useful charge life.

Then what?

Mojave has made my iPod Touch a paperweight.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.