Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect iPad Pro 2018 to Mac?

I have a fairly old Mac Pro 5,1 with USB 2.0 ports, no Wi-Fi.

The new iPad Pro has USB-C connection.

Does anyone know how I can connect the two and make a backup of the iPad on my Mac with iTunes?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 12.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2018 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2018 1:41 AM

Today I received the "AmazonBasics - USB C Cable to USB Type A, USB 3.1, 2. 0.9 "

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GGKYS6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF 8&language=en_GB&psc=1

User uploaded file

I can confirm this cable works perfectly with iPad Pro 2018 12.9" and Mac Pro 5,1 — it syncs ands charges:

User uploaded file

It is a real nice and sturdy cable, it's about 5 mm / 0,20" thick.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2018 1:41 AM in response to Jeronymus

Today I received the "AmazonBasics - USB C Cable to USB Type A, USB 3.1, 2. 0.9 "

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GGKYS6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF 8&language=en_GB&psc=1

User uploaded file

I can confirm this cable works perfectly with iPad Pro 2018 12.9" and Mac Pro 5,1 — it syncs ands charges:

User uploaded file

It is a real nice and sturdy cable, it's about 5 mm / 0,20" thick.

Nov 27, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Jeronymus

I hear ya. You are far from the only one with this issue.

(Personally coming out with a new cable and not acknowledging the decades old industry standard of USBA isn’t the most consumer friendly thing to do). It doesn’t just affect folks like you with older devices but also Windows users.

All I can suggest it to keep looking and find someone that has personal knowledge of what ones work. I’m afraid I don‘t have either a pro or mac so can’t experiment.

You can send them feedback and let them know the issue. Perhaps that will motivate them to come up with a solution

Product Feedback - Apple (beyond thinking that you just need to buy a new mac with USBC connections)

If I find someone with a good solid solution I’ll post it.

Nov 27, 2018 9:56 AM in response to Jeronymus

Jeronymus wrote:

I had a chat with a support employee and he suggested the USB to Ligtning cable.. so it might just be a little bit too soon to ask for USB-C cables and adapters 🙂

Lightning-naar-USB-kabel (0,5 m) - Apple (NL)

Anyway, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

The Lightning to USB cable will not work. Do not buy it. The 2018 iPad does not have a lightning port. It has a USB-C port. Very different things.

The anker cable may have an issue, or your Mac USB port may be shorting out.

Does it shut down if you plug in anything else?

Nov 27, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Skydiver119

Of course 🙂 but which one? Which one works with data and power so I can charge the iPad and create a backup on my Mac?

I tried an Anker USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 to USB adapter (female) with a USB cable (male/male) but my Mac didin't like that and shut down as soon as I plugged in the cable. Like this:

[iPad Pro] --- [Anker USB-C male / USB adapter female] --- [USB male/male cable] --- [Mac]

Nov 27, 2018 10:01 AM in response to Phil0124

Yes I know as I have other Apple devices which charge and backup with a Lightning cable 🙂 just saying that Apple employees aren't fully up to date yet as they advised to use a Lighting cable.

Other devices like external HD, iPhone etc work just fine on this USB port.

I just ordered some other USB-C to USB cables from Amazon, I will report back which ones work and which ones don't.

Connect iPad Pro 2018 to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.