Question:

Question: Samsung Portable SSD T5 not recgonized on Macbook

Yesterday I bought a Samsung Portable SSD T5 for my Macbook. At first everything was working fine and I uploaded all of my files and then I made the mistake of updating the SamsungPortableSSD software. Now every time I plug in the hard drive the software launches and says "No Samsung Portable SSD is connected." I've plugged the hard drive into other computers (a windows pc) and it works fine. It's just on my mac that it isn't registering. I think it's because of the updated software but I'm not 100% sure. It was working fine before I updated it.

I've also tried erasing the drive on my mac but it says it isn't compatible and can't erase. I also can't seem to uninstall the SamsungPortableSSD software (and then just re-downloading it), and I feel like that would be a viable solution, just can't seem to work it out.

If anyone knows anything I could possibly do to fix this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you :)

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I fixed it! I had to run the software's own clean-up code to fully uninstall it. Once I did that, I was able to reinstall the outdated version of the software and it works fine now :)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

May 30, 2019 7:15 PM in response to jeremy_lia In response to jeremy_lia

Absolutely! Here's what I did. In a Finder window, click "go" in the toolbar and then "go to folder" and type in this -> "~/Library/Application/Support/PortableSSD" (or just copy and paste!). From there, there should be something labelled either "CleanupAll.scpt" or CleanupPSSD.scpt" that's the code you need to run. Hope this helps! It took quite a bit of scouting for me to find this solution, so let me know if you need any other help. My drive now works perfectly. Hope it works for you, too! :)

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

May 30, 2019 7:15 PM in response to jeremy_lia In response to jeremy_lia

Absolutely! Here's what I did. In a Finder window, click "go" in the toolbar and then "go to folder" and type in this -> "~/Library/Application/Support/PortableSSD" (or just copy and paste!). From there, there should be something labelled either "CleanupAll.scpt" or CleanupPSSD.scpt" that's the code you need to run. Hope this helps! It took quite a bit of scouting for me to find this solution, so let me know if you need any other help. My drive now works perfectly. Hope it works for you, too! :)

May 30, 2019 7:15 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Jun 11, 2019 11:03 AM in response to _bburr In response to _bburr

Sorry _bbrr I am a total novice. Have the same issue as explained but don't understand what to do. Clicked on Finder and it shows my Favourites and Locations. Where do i click "go" than "go to folder" again please? Try to add to search bar "~/Library/Application/Support/PortableSSD" but that didn't do anything. Please help as really would like to make this drive work. Many thanks

Jun 11, 2019 11:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 6, 2019 11:38 AM in response to jeremy_lia In response to jeremy_lia

If anybody has iMac mojave trying to uninstall the password encrypted Samsung ssd and need to reinstall older software Have attempted several times your “fix” but no luck.

1) is the Samsung Ssd supposed to be plugged into computer before we start or not plugged in?

2) once we insert your fix above, where does it go?

thank you

Jul 6, 2019 11:38 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jul 13, 2019 11:56 PM in response to _bburr In response to _bburr

Hi,

so happy that you've resolved on your own.

Please check the filesystem: if you formatted the SSD in NTFS format will be compatible for Windows read/write and Mac only read, you need Paragon software to read/write also on your Mac.

Messing with filesystem can be reveal this problem, sometimes.

Best regards

Marco

Jul 13, 2019 11:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Jul 14, 2019 1:01 PM in response to marcosb86 In response to marcosb86

It’s not the format of the SSD that is the issue. I formatted it exfat. The issue is the Samsung software. All of the removal procedures say to remove the software from the application folder but in my case the Samsung SSD folder within the application folder doesn’t exist. Because within the Samsung SSD folder is where the script is to do the uninstall. Samsung suppprt was no help

Jul 14, 2019 1:01 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: _bburr

Question: Samsung Portable SSD T5 not recgonized on Macbook