Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

True Tone Problem Since Update to 10.14.6

Hi there,

Since the Update on my MacBook Pro 15 - 2019. True tone switches several Times a Minute.

Looks like I'm not alone.

Could you please check that?

An the Screen flicker.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 5:52 AM

I just had a chat with Apple Support on this. It was not yet a known problem for them, but they advised me to perform a NVRAM/PRAM reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

After this procedure the True Tone switches and flickering are gone on my system (it's 15 minutes since performing the procedure, so I guess time will tell, but looking good so far..)

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2019 5:52 AM in response to TheRambaldi

I just had a chat with Apple Support on this. It was not yet a known problem for them, but they advised me to perform a NVRAM/PRAM reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

After this procedure the True Tone switches and flickering are gone on my system (it's 15 minutes since performing the procedure, so I guess time will tell, but looking good so far..)

Jul 30, 2019 7:17 AM in response to TheRambaldi

Same problem here, MBP 15 2018.

Regarding the support: they are always suggesting to reset something and usually that doesn't help. Once they gave me a list of things to try, like 5-7 items, I was spending my weekend time on slowly advancing through the list, after every item finished I was supposed to check did it help or not and that checking involved waiting for several hours. When I was at the middle of the list they released a new update which immediately fixed the issue. I wasted like 4-6 hours on that list in total.

Aug 22, 2019 5:49 AM in response to TheRambaldi

I'm having the same issue too. After the 10.14.6 update my late 2018 MacBook Pro started changing True Tone temperature from cool to warm and back abruptly.

The issue is intermittent but frequent. It is most visible when sitting against cool background (like a blue wall) and very annoying.

I tried rebooting the machine and resetting NVRAM / PRAM but that had no effect on the issue at all.

Aug 22, 2019 12:15 PM in response to tayfour185

Guys, I have a solution for this issue.
The only one who helped correctly was an Egyptian guy from the technical support team in Dubai called Farahat. He advised to reinstall Mojave system after rebooting to recovery. I did that and I had a chance ti test it for 3 hours and the true tone was fine.
I really want to thank that guy.

That seems like a pretty radical solution, especially when it seems like Apple itself introduced the problem after the latest update. Will keep it as an option but I’m waiting to hear from Apple. Thanks!

Aug 23, 2019 12:41 AM in response to tayfour185

tayfour185 wrote:

Guys, I have a solution for this issue.
The only one who helped correctly was an Egyptian guy from the technical support team in Dubai called Farahat. He advised to reinstall Mojave system after rebooting to recovery. I did that and I had a chance ti test it for 3 hours and the true tone was fine.
I really want to thank that guy.

Sounds a bit too radical indeed. Reinstalling the OS is a great inconvenience while the result is not guaranteed because it will still be the same hardware running the same OS version.

True Tone Problem Since Update to 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.