Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV app problem loading content error

How do I fix this error message on appletv? Internet is fine. Restarted appletv (with unplugging) multiple times. Movie rental simply stopped playing after 1 hour.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2019 7:19 PM

I was in the middle of watching a movie I own and all of a sudden the movie stopped playing on my Apple TV and presented me with an error that it was unable to load the content. This is happening on all 3 of my Apple TV’s devices and all content that I own. I can play on a local machine, but can not stream.

38 replies

Aug 8, 2019 8:15 PM in response to vazandrew

This is more than a simple connectivity issue. It is localized to Apple and iTunes. My DNS resolves just fine everywhere and I have both a WiFi and Ethernet(Gig) connected AppleTV. I can access all other content HBO Now, Netflix etc. I was half way through my movie when it cut out. If I had to guess it cutoff while trying to validate/authenticate the content against my purchase entitlement. If I had to guess...

Jan 17, 2020 7:32 AM in response to lenajefff

Spoke to Apple support and they said are still trying to figure what the issue. They suggested it was a network problem but didn’t highlight whose network is having issues. Clearly it has to be their network as just like you the movies are playable at odd hours of the day when it decides to play that is. And there’s no telling what hours that might be.

I am in the exact situation as yourself. I guess in a way if more of us are facing the same issues they better get to work in figuring out the problem and fix it pronto.

Aug 8, 2019 8:16 PM in response to M-K-V

That doesn't automatically rule out the network, and issues can come at any time and without any changes having been done. Those other services adapt to the connection whereas iTunes is fixed and higher quality. Without doing an actual investigation and proper troubleshooting you can't come to any such conclusion.

There is no such widespread issue, it is working just fine on my system and for the majority.

Nov 16, 2019 12:52 PM in response to valentfromathens

I had this problem today. I found the problem was the wireless router I was using. Yesterday added an Orbi Wireless Router with 2 Satellites to my existing AT&T internet to expand internet signal range. The Apple TV didn’t let me view iTunes content using the Orbi. I simply switched my Apple TV back to the AT&T WiFi Router and that fixed everything.

Dec 20, 2019 10:01 PM in response to pete0147

Ok did I miss something because I didn’t read anything I felt was a solution? I am using an iPad with the hdmi connector and there is a flash of a dollar sign symbol in the upper left corner just before this happens so I believe this is related to checking Apple payment and other authorization processes but why only when I have the hdmi connected to watch on tv. I have never had this happen watching on the iPad itself so I suspect some copy protection mechanism related to hdmi. Hdcp or whatever it is called

Apple TV app problem loading content error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.