Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios13 - podcast or music stops playing when going into messages

If I have any audio playing and open the message app is turns off my music or podcast. How do I stop this?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 6:11 AM

This is strictly an iOS 13 issue. I am running 12.4 on my iPad and all audio works fine.

Chrome - Firefox - even Safari an audio stops when the device goes black / locks. Apple was kind enough to only allow your phone to remain unlocked up to 5 minutes as they removed the “never” unlock feature.

What is most frustrating is Apple knows the problem yet all their customer support people are instructed to reply with boiler plate non responses “did you restart your phone? Is it just one website or every website, are your issues the same as the thousands of people writing about the same issue”.

I can only listen to audio up to 5 minutes. This is beyond aggravating & frustrating.

Whatever code was in 12.4, Apple, please go back to that regarding audio playback.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2019 6:11 AM in response to viethot

This is strictly an iOS 13 issue. I am running 12.4 on my iPad and all audio works fine.

Chrome - Firefox - even Safari an audio stops when the device goes black / locks. Apple was kind enough to only allow your phone to remain unlocked up to 5 minutes as they removed the “never” unlock feature.

What is most frustrating is Apple knows the problem yet all their customer support people are instructed to reply with boiler plate non responses “did you restart your phone? Is it just one website or every website, are your issues the same as the thousands of people writing about the same issue”.

I can only listen to audio up to 5 minutes. This is beyond aggravating & frustrating.

Whatever code was in 12.4, Apple, please go back to that regarding audio playback.

Sep 23, 2019 11:12 AM in response to pughj17

Hi pughj17,

Thank you for posting! I understand you're finding that your music and podcasts stop when you open the Messages app.

Does this happen when you open any other apps, or just Messages?

Does it happen when you're playing music through headphones, the speakers, or both?

If you Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and try it out again, does that help?

I hope this helps get you started. Take care.

Sep 30, 2019 9:47 PM in response to skeepah

Same happens to me after installing iOS 13.1. I use Radio Box as a player via Bluetooth to a Bose Wave Radio. As soon as Radio Box doesn’t have focus (e.g., I try to open any other app) the music stops. Thereafter, if I swipe down to try to restart playback, the app immediately switches back to “stopped” before any sound is heard. Correct me if I’m wrong but iOS 13.0 just came out last week and it’s already at iOS 13.1.2! Great job, Apple.

Oct 3, 2019 1:48 PM in response to Thgrimes

After trying all sorts of different things and on the brink of “downgrading” back to iOS 12.4, I downloaded the Dolphin browser and was able to play media from website using that browser without it stopping when the phone locked. However that browser crashes on me from time to time if I use it for searching, etc. so I only use it to play online podcasts. I keep looking for new iOS updates hoping Apple will fix this glitch. Or at least let us set the “never” option on the phone lock setting....

Ios13 - podcast or music stops playing when going into messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.