Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max 4G LTE Signal Issue

The new iPhone 11 Pro Max loses 4G signal from time to time (every a few minutes) when the Wi-Fi is off or no valid Wi-Fi hot spot is nearby.

Wi-Fi is off: The 4G signal drops to null in a sudden, and restores to full (4 bars) in 2-3 seconds. This happens regularly.

Wi-Fi is connected: The bars are steady - stay at 4 all the time.

I have tried:

1. Disable Auto Network Selection
  2. Reset Network Settings
  3. Reset All Settings
  4. Reset All Content and Settings

None of them shows promising improvement.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 9:22 PM

I have connectivity issues too with my 11 pro max. I live in an area with spotty connection but it’s much worse with the new phone versus my old XS Max. Upgrading to 13.1 did not help. Switched the SIM back to my old phone and it works just fine. Super frustrating.

364 replies

Sep 26, 2019 4:28 PM in response to ming36

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB and I am having horrible service at home. My phone mostly has one bar signal on Verizon Wireless. I am only experiencing these hardships at home when I get close to my chimney; however, throughout my home, I always carry one signal bar (2 at best). Also, my friend has a iPhone 11 Pro. And, I can here my echo when he has me on speaker. Also, I was not the only one to notice that. There was also someone else (idk what phone they have). Please help!

Sep 28, 2019 6:58 AM in response to Jarcresder

I just got back from Apple Store and they swapped out my phone for a new one and the problem was fixed!!!

I would suggest doing these steps first before you go to Apple Store:

1) Call your cell company to debug first. Apple is going to say since it’s cell service issue and it’s not Apple problem. Cell company is going to go through list of debugging issues (reset network settings, etc) to see if that fixes your issues. If that doesn’t fix, continue debugging steps below.

2) Do a screen record of your phone dropping the cellular connection as evidence of you having issues just in case you’re in the Apple store and you can’t reproduce the issue.

3) Backup your phone. I used my laptop to backup because it restores much faster that way than going through WiFi.

4) Do a full wipe of your phone and set up your phone as a new phone (don’t restore from backup). This way you can see if your cellular issues are from software or from hardware.

4) Test our your phone and see if you are experiencing same issues.

5) If your cell connection is still dropping, take it into the Apple Store.

Good luck! I feel this is for sure a hardware issue for most people!

Oct 12, 2019 12:41 AM in response to David_Panda

I’ve had the exact same issue:

• iPhone 11 Pro Max.
  • interestingly issue occurs in the exact same location, and other areas with big infrastructure (building/walls/etc). For the purpose of testing, my desk at work is exactly where the issue occurs every time.
  • Issue occurred with iOS 13.1 & 13.1.2
  • Booked a Genius Bar appointment, suspected iOS issue. That’s when 13.1.2 came out, issue still there after update
  • back to Apple, had phone replaced.
  • intentionally left it on iOS 13.0, tested at work, exact same issue

is it it iOS 13 generally speaking, or the iPhone 11 itself?

Oct 19, 2019 11:36 PM in response to ming36

I got the similar problem on two iPhone 11 Pro Max. The iOS is on the latest 13.1.3. My sister report the same on her Pro Max.

Only reboot the phone as workaround.

The following ways didn’t help:

• Airplane mode
  • disable one the other SIM
  • swap SIM slots
  • replace new SIM
  • reset network settings
  • hard reset

My wife’s Pro Max reports “ No SIM” occasionally and must shutdown and restart the phone before “detect” it. Swapping SIM slot didn’t help as well.

crazy!

Dec 8, 2019 3:14 PM in response to ming36

I have this exact problem on Verizon. My phone will go up to 1 hour at a time where it has no data service. I’m also getting dropped calls all over the place. This can happen in a location where I normally have perfect LTE. My wife, also on Verizon, has no such issues with her iPhone X. Both are on latest iOS. Given what I’ve gone through, the only conclusion is a hardware or software defect with the 11 Pro.

None of the steps below fixed the problem. I’m planning to return the phone at this point:

• Reset network settings
  • Reset and erase all settings/phone and setup as new phone
  • New SIM
  • Replace phone with a new iPhone 11 Pro

Feb 25, 2020 2:29 PM in response to ming36

I am having data problems with my new iPhone 11 Pro max 256 GB as well. I have Sprint. My iPhone 8 worked great in locations where my new phone is currently does not work at all. Similar to everyone else, my phone is fully updated to iOS 13.3.1, I've reset network settings and spent hours on the phone with tech support. I got my phone 4 days ago. Specifically:

• When my phone is connected to wifi, phone calls do not immediately go through. It's as if it takes a minute or two for the phone to switch from wifi to LTE network. Then when it does go through, the call quality is poor with audio cutting in and out.
  • LTE cellular data works in some areas and not in others within the same zip code. Oddly enough, LTE data does not work in my home, but 3G network does. However, the phone doesn't automatically bump down so I have to manually toggle the network setting everytime; very frustrating.

Is a new phone the answer?

Oct 30, 2019 3:24 PM in response to Gregory_201

Headed to Apple store now... call fails for 2 weeks.. been on phone technical support. Used my paid off iPhone 6S plus unlocked and was able to make one call and then straight to call fail and has not had an update in a year. my iPhone XS is locked and making payments and can’t call out but have all signal bars which I only had two bars prior.. I have ATT.., they blame Apple.. Apple blames ATT. They both about to win.. drop Att and iPhone.. guess it’s time for a Samsung... and I’ve been the biggest fan of Apple since iPhone 4. 😞😞

Oct 21, 2020 8:54 PM in response to ming36

I just fixed this same issue after days of it occurring on and off. Below is a link with various possible fixes but the one that absolutely works and worked for me was to simply turn off the phone, and then removing SIM card. Making sure it was placed correctly (I also wiped a little as an added precaution) then re inserted the sim, powered back on and the issue was fixed permanently.

https://www.saintlad.com/iphone-11-pro-max-4g-lte-signal-issue/

Before and after pics posting this reply with WiFi off.

Sep 29, 2019 11:36 AM in response to David_Panda

@David_Panda did you purchase your phone from Apple? I purchased mine from Verizon and I'm worried that Genius Bar won't be able to replace it. I've had iPhones since iPhone 4 and have never had cell reception issues like I'm having now with the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The LTE would show full bars and there would be no internet connection... It happens randomly but very frequently and I'm worried that it's a hardware issue. I've already wiped/reinstalled twice to no avail.

iPhone 11 Pro Max 4G LTE Signal Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.