Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update AppleID Settings - macOS Catalina

After installing Catalina, it asks me to update my Apple ID settings. I put in my password, and then it asks for my Mac password, which I give it. Then after a few minutes the message pops back up again. Happens on both my Macbook and iMac.

Logging in and out didn't help on my MacBook, there is too much to delete/re-add for me to want to try it on my iMac.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 2:43 PM

Hi Michael! This was the solution to my problem!

• iCloud Keychain was not ticked on my MacBook Pro 2017 after updating to Catalina
  • Given that the solution was to confirm my identity using another device (entering my iPhone's Passcode on my Mac to confirm my identity), this makes sense to me - but I've been wrong before, once or twice... a day for 50 years!

If this is the case, then the UX of this process needs improvement, obviously. How many people would think to look at the status of their iCloud Keychain when faced with this behaviour? The way it currently works causes you to think something has broken or at the very least is not working (eg: iCloud is too busy, etc).

Thank-you for your post!

Peter

209 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 2:43 PM in response to Michael Keenan

Hi Michael! This was the solution to my problem!

• iCloud Keychain was not ticked on my MacBook Pro 2017 after updating to Catalina
  • Given that the solution was to confirm my identity using another device (entering my iPhone's Passcode on my Mac to confirm my identity), this makes sense to me - but I've been wrong before, once or twice... a day for 50 years!

If this is the case, then the UX of this process needs improvement, obviously. How many people would think to look at the status of their iCloud Keychain when faced with this behaviour? The way it currently works causes you to think something has broken or at the very least is not working (eg: iCloud is too busy, etc).

Thank-you for your post!

Peter

Oct 7, 2019 3:20 PM in response to JWolf74

I just updated to MacOS Catalina version 10.15 (19A583) and it doesn't allow for the Apple ID to be updated. Obviously we are all entering the correct User IDs and Passwords or we couldn't add comments here. This also happend on my iPad Mini under the new iOS 13. Seems like Apple needs to address this as its happening to multible people on multible devices. It also did not authenticate by "code" to other Apple devices as another user pointed out with his macbook.

UPDATE: definitely has to do with the keychain.

Follow these directions from Michael Keenan...

Go to: "System Settings, then Apple ID at the top, then choose iCloud. It will show what is using iCloud scroll down and choose Keychain. you may have to enter your Apple ID and your computer password a couple times". Continue to follow the prompts multiple times!!

Oct 9, 2019 9:56 AM in response to JWolf74

Here's what I did that fixed it.

1. In System Preferences Click on AppleID

1. Go directly to iCloud, do NOT click Continue to upgrade AppleID Settings
  2. Scroll down to Keychain and click the check box
  3. Wait until it asks for password, enter it.
  4. It also asked for the passcode from my iPad Pro, enter it
  5. It then displayed and asked for a 6 digit code, enter it.
  6. Problem solved, no more prompts.

Weird.

Oct 20, 2019 10:01 AM in response to JWolf74

I can tell you what worked for me. Some have suggested signing out. When I went to do so, it told me that some items had not been uploaded to iCloud Drive. With that in mind, rather than singing out I:

• Turned off iCloud Drive. It asked if I wanted to stop sync, I said yes. It put my entire iCloud Drive in the archive folder. I think it thought it was out of sync but it wasn't
  • This allowed me to turn on iCloud Keychain
  • After doing so, the funky message went away and I turned iCloud Drive back on

I'm kinda thinking iCloud Drive was the culprit. It was trying to sync the entire folder after update (2.5g for me).

Oct 30, 2019 7:34 PM in response to JWolf74

I have the same issue. My screen is stuck trying to login to iCloud from the system preferences pane. I've rebooted. Signed out of iCloud, rebooted, and signed in. Changed my iCloud password. Nothing. This is total BS. I waited until Catalina 10.15.1 version to upgrade.

Apple QC is steadily getting worse. Not only am I having Catalina upgrade problems, my iPhone X got bricked upgrading to iOS 13. I had to completely wipe it and start over.

Update AppleID Settings - macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.