Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting after update to Mac OS Catalina

Ever since I have updated to Mac OS Catalina, my bluetooth keeps disconnecting every 5-15 minutes.

This happens to my headphones, 1st gen airpods, Bose QC 35.

They still show up as "connected" in the bluetooth menubar, but I cannot see them under the sound output settings. The audio just shifts to the inbuilt speakers or USB-C/3.5mm speakers. I am usually sitting less than 3 feet away. The speakers have more than 50% battery. When I disconnect from bluetooth and add again, it works for another 5-15 min.

The 1st gen apple mouse also keeps disconnecting, but connects again after 20-30 seconds.

The apple wireless keyboard has no issue.

I am fully updated, have tried restarting laptop, turning off/on bluetooth, debugging bluetooth, removing all devices and adding again, changing the batteries on my mouse, but nothing seems to help.

Same issue on Macbook Air and Macbook Pro. One of them was updated, the other was clean install.

Help Apple. Come on guys, these new OS's are so buggy.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 4:10 AM

So i did a little chatting with apple people and discovered the issue, hope this helps others too.

It was an issue with one of my software. This issue only came after installing Catalina on my MacBook Air '15.

What I did was created a test user https://support.apple.com/de-de/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac on my mac (which is like a separate and new account with no user installed apps/software), then listened to some youtube music for 30min - 1 hour (I played FiFA '20 during the wait thanks to Corona). The audio device never tripped. So the apple advisor said if that happens, it because of a trippy app/software in your main user that's causing this. So you can either uninstall apps/softw that use your audio devices like WhatsApp web, Zoom, Adobe cloud apps, spotify, vlc etc, restart your pc and see if the problem is still there. Then reinstall the apps one by one and see which app is causing the trip.

Another issue could be a pending update for one of the apps that use your audio device that needs updating. In my case, I only uninstalled Spotify, WhatsApp, Premiere Pro, After Effects & Audition. I reinstalled them all and all has been good.

Hope this helps ya'll cuz this gave me the craziest headache.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2020 4:10 AM in response to gurbirgill1984

So i did a little chatting with apple people and discovered the issue, hope this helps others too.

It was an issue with one of my software. This issue only came after installing Catalina on my MacBook Air '15.

What I did was created a test user https://support.apple.com/de-de/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac on my mac (which is like a separate and new account with no user installed apps/software), then listened to some youtube music for 30min - 1 hour (I played FiFA '20 during the wait thanks to Corona). The audio device never tripped. So the apple advisor said if that happens, it because of a trippy app/software in your main user that's causing this. So you can either uninstall apps/softw that use your audio devices like WhatsApp web, Zoom, Adobe cloud apps, spotify, vlc etc, restart your pc and see if the problem is still there. Then reinstall the apps one by one and see which app is causing the trip.

Another issue could be a pending update for one of the apps that use your audio device that needs updating. In my case, I only uninstalled Spotify, WhatsApp, Premiere Pro, After Effects & Audition. I reinstalled them all and all has been good.

Hope this helps ya'll cuz this gave me the craziest headache.

Dec 3, 2019 2:17 AM in response to gurbirgill1984

Same issue here. Tried all the steps also. 2018 MBP 13".

It's becoming a rather urgent issue now as it happens during online meetings leaving you unable to hear or reply to the other person(s) for a good 10-20 seconds until the gen2 AirPods reconnect.

It also affects my Sony WH-1000X M3's and Logitech wireless speakers. It also drops out my Logitech MX Master 2S mouse.

I've seen the reply mentioning A2DP, I've installed Bluetooth Explorer and hit 'Force aptX' I will report back if this helps at all.

Dec 29, 2019 11:07 PM in response to gurbirgill1984

same with me. only, along with all my bluetooth devices that disconnects, the mouse pad on the actual laptop stops working as well. Mouse, keyboard, headsets for music, I use them all at the same time, everything disconnects and after what sometimes is 6-10-15-25 seconds, it all connects back up. My laptop is only 2 months old, 2019 model.

I'm also noticing that with my bluetooth speakers, the connectivity is not well either there is tremendous lag. Again, all that was not happening before.

Help please! Hope Apple is reading these?!

Jan 24, 2020 5:26 AM in response to xxxenxen

Disconnects continue with Apple Mouse and another brand of mouse disconnects as well. I've most of the apple and user suggestions..... nothing corrects the problem. As a test, I went to the middle of the woods away from everything. . Nearest electronic device is 2 miles away, not even a power line within 2 miles. Disconnects from the mouse continue. Come on Apple, you are passing the buck and making excuses .... blaming other devices, other software, other external interferences, etc etc. You will never fix this problems if you will not admit that this is YOUR PROBLEM TO FIX, NOT THE CONSUMERS.

Jan 29, 2020 2:05 PM in response to RicardoOliveira

Hi,

It happens to me 100% of the time if I try to engage the microphone with any Bluetooth headset with any application. The fastest way to test it is to connect your bluetooth headset, and then go the Sound settings, and then Input. If Bluetooth headset is selected, it will disconnect and reconnect.

It looks like macOS is telling the headset to switch between an actual phone call and just simply being a digital input device. It gets confused and then disconnects.

I have a MBP 2015 13"

Ben

Feb 5, 2020 9:08 AM in response to gurbirgill1984

I was able to fix this issue by restarting the coreaudio, bluetooth, and bluetoothaudio daemons. Open a terminal and run the following commands in order:

sudo killall coreaudiod
sudo killall bluetoothd
sudo killall bluetoothaudiod
sudo launchctl start com.apple.audio.coreaudiod
sudo launchctl start com.apple.audio.bluetoothd
sudo launchctl start com.apple.audio.bluetoothaudiod

Feb 7, 2020 3:41 PM in response to Feiner11

Thanks alot for this suggestion. I tried it on my MacBook Air 11, and found that a restart was also necessary to get a benefit. I also did all the debug resets via clicking the bluetooth icon in upper bar (while pressing opt-shift) and reconnected. At first, it seemed to worked well. Closed the lid to go to sleep, and reopened this morning, and continued on and all seemed well for about 45 mins or so, and then the dropouts started happening again. I guess a restart might be a solution, but this is seriously getting annoying.

Feb 11, 2020 1:13 PM in response to briascoi

As you are fresh to the thread it is difficult to suggest a fix when you have tried everything.

Assuming you have reset NVRAM, SMC and booted into Safe Boot at least once then before you either reinstall clean or revert to Mojave you could install Etrecheck, give it full disk access then attach the report here.

Mar 23, 2020 4:41 AM in response to chonoramo

What chonoramo said is correct. My bluetooth almost never drops when im using audio on Netflix, Youtube, or Prime Video for hours. However, whenever i use Zoom, within 15 mins the audio drops. I am not sure if i call this a Mac or issue or a Zoom issue ( i have updated zoom as well), but this continues to be a huge problem for me because all my meetings happen on zoom. With the Corona deal i believe this will be a much bigger problem as more and more people work remotely so I hope Apple takes notice.

I cannot say what other products interfere with audio connectivity as I don't use anything else, but the problem 100% happens with Zoom.

Bluetooth keeps disconnecting after update to Mac OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.